Don't Let Russ Force His Way Out

W

Welshers

I love Russel Wilson and a huge fan of his but I don't think we should let him force his way out at the end of the season. He still has two years of contract left. Tell him to play for the Hawks next year or not at all. He signed a contract and is an employee like everyone else, making literally hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game.

Look at how it worked with Rogers and Ben Simmons. These guys refused to show up but when the teams would not bend they ended up reporting for work. Because it's an insane amount of money to not take. Russ may demand a trade this offseason but we should refuse. He will play 2022.

The year after is the final year of his contract and if he won't sign an extension we can trade him at that point and we will still get an arm and a leg. Don't let him bully us this offseason. Love the guy and understand his frustration but he's an employee. He can quit or play for Seattle next season. His choice.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The team holds all the cards in terms of Wilson. He can be as noisy as he wishes in the offseason but ultimately the leverage belongs to the team for the next two years. He can either choose not to play and take that financial hit or play out his contract and go wherever he wishes. All I know is if Russ and the team choose to part ways versus deal with an unhappy franchise QB for the next two seasons, we are going to get the kitchen sink for him. Multiple first round picks.

I am still optmistic the season gets salvaged and this is all moot.

John63

Reaction score
Welshers":2nf60vho said:
I love Russel Wilson and a huge fan of his but I don't think we should let him force his way out at the end of the season. He still has two years of contract left. Tell him to play for the Hawks next year or not at all. He signed a contract and is an employee like everyone else, making literally hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game.

Look at how it worked with Rogers and Ben Simmons. These guys refused to show up but when the teams would not bend they ended up reporting for work. Because it's an insane amount of money to not take. Russ may demand a trade this offseason but we should refuse. He will play 2022.

The year after is the final year of his contract and if he won't sign an extension we can trade him at that point and we will still get an arm and a leg. Don't let him bully us this offseason. Love the guy and understand his frustration but he's an employee. He can quit or play for Seattle next season. His choice.

so first a lot of assumptions here. Who said he was going to force his way out? nobody.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

John63":2py3r4me said:
Welshers":2py3r4me said:

so first a lot of assumptions here. Who said he was going to force his way out? nobody.
Quite literally the vast majority of this forum says he is gone after this year. I am just addressing this scenario. I know you're a huge Russ fan, as am I, so we can both agree we needs to stay. Hopefully he wants to.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
John, relax man. It's an opinion. It's gonna' be ok.

Honestly, it feels about 50/50 right now. But none of us really know.

John63

Reaction score
Welshers":2zbaqd7e said:
John63":2zbaqd7e said:
Welshers":2zbaqd7e said:

Quite literally the vast majority of this forum says he is gone after this year. I am just addressing this scenario. I know you're a huge Russ fan, as am I, so we can both agree we needs to stay. Hopefully he wants to.

Saying he is gone after this year does not mean he forces his way out. Could be PC decides to rebuild, could be he decides to prove his way works, even though well it's not. I am not saying whether he will be here or not, all I am saying is let's not assume if he leaves it is because he "FORCED" is way out.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Aros":21fw27od said:
The team holds all the cards in terms of Wilson. He can be as noisy as he wishes in the offseason but ultimately the leverage belongs to the team for the next two years. He can either choose not to play and take that financial hit or play out his contract and go wherever he wishes. All I know is if Russ and the team choose to part ways versus deal with an unhappy franchise QB for the next two seasons, we are going to get the kitchen sink for him. Multiple first round picks.

This

Rat

Reaction score
We need to rebuild anyway, and I don't see Russ as a Brady or Rodgers type who is going to excel well into their late 30s and beyond. If he wants out, let him. We need the leader of the team to buy in.

Granted, this is hypothetical, since he hasn't actually expressed wanting to leave. There was some friction last offseason, but that kind of thing isn't uncommon in a relationship that has lasted as long as this one has.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sorry man.

It is very clear that this will become a Russ vs Pete camp thing.

And Pete isn't firing himself.

After literally getting injured the same year he asked for better resources invested in his protection, and watching his OC be forced into PeteBall - not sure there is much upside for you.

We see slow leaks from the Seahawks PR factory about how Pete needs to get back to running and how great he is in barely losing. And we are seeing slow leaks about the supposed deficiencies with our HOF QB.

This very likely Pete claiming what is his. And Wilson can do a Ben Simmon-ish play in making it very hard for the team to force him to stay. Honestly, Pete will probably ship him off because Wilson has his own PR team that he will likely use to spin things as Carroll being the problem and holding the team back, while refusing to leave.

Last year, when Wilson was chafing - we saw a lot of stuff taking shots at Pete, the Seahawks, and how they were using him. Almost certain that was from Wilson's camp.

So no shock if it spins up again, since Pete/Seahawks seem to dislike it. Pete likely hates it.

He won't need to force his way out. He just has to irritate Pete enough for Pete to dump him.

That is probably coming.

Lawke

Reaction score
Idkn how closely youve been following the ben simmons/76ers situation for you to make that comparison but its no where near the same as the rodgers and its not even in the same universe of what we've seen from russ. If russ were to go the ben route, it would be a massive loss/loss for all sides.

And you cant really say the 76ers won and made ben show up. Yeah, he "showed up" if by that you mean going to practice, refusing to participate in practice, while walking around and making a mockery of it, and in the process forcing coaches and players to have to sit there and answer questions about him, kill locker room morale (embiids pressers says it all), and absolutely tank his trade value.

And while its not ideal to have to trade him if he wants to leave, if the team has any sort of feeling (and by team i mean pete since all things go through him in the end) that they also want to move on, then they should. Forcing a player to play out their contract only for them to move on without getting anything for them would seem like a failure. Also doesnt seem like itd produce the best results anyways if you think youve seen the best russ has to offer, not to mention the longer you hold on to him, the less value he will have.

Rat

Reaction score
Russ is too vain and cares too much about his image to pull a Ben Simmons. If ever decides he wants out, it would probably be expressed exclusively behind closed doors.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1gwerp5a said:
Sorry man.

It is very clear that this will become a Russ vs Pete camp thing.

And Pete isn't firing himself.

After literally getting injured the same year he asked for better resources invested in his protection, and watching his OC be forced into PeteBall - not sure there is much upside for you.

We see slow leaks from the Seahawks PR factory about how Pete needs to get back to running and how great he is in barely losing. And we are seeing slow leaks about the supposed deficiencies with our HOF QB.

This very likely Pete claiming what is his. And Wilson can do a Ben Simmon-ish play in making it very hard for the team to force him to stay. Honestly, Pete will probably ship him off because Wilson has his own PR team that he will likely use to spin things as Carroll being the problem and holding the team back, while refusing to leave.

Last year, when Wilson was chafing - we saw a lot of stuff taking shots at Pete, the Seahawks, and how they were using him. Almost certain that was from Wilson's camp.

So no shock if it spins up again, since Pete/Seahawks seem to dislike it. Pete likely hates it.

He won't need to force his way out. He just has to irritate Pete enough for Pete to dump him.

That is probably coming.

Very easy for Russell to get out, every player that has not been all in since Pete has been here has been shown the door either by trade or cut. They will not cut Wilson but would trade him. Now to set that up for Wilson he would have to do something that would signify that he was not all in and the Seahawks and Pete would want to damage control the situation as well as Wilson to make a trade and get the most value for him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Typo.

What I was implying was Russ doesn't need to do a Ben Simmonish thing. Sure, he could. But just having his people taking constant shots at Pete, undermining his legacy, taking credit for most of the winning, and then leaking talking points in interviews that imply Pete and the Seahawks are holding him back?

Pete is too egotistical to let that slide.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1d6li6n9 said:

Was too funny at a presser about 3 or 4 weeks ago, Pete was talking about last year, and Russ specifically.

Said something about "Letting Russ Co - urp". Then he caught himself. Didn't say the word 'Cook'. Then mentioned "I never used that phrase ALL LAST SEASON".

Thought it was both telling and funny.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
Rat":1hhn4rze said:
We need to rebuild anyway, and I don't see Russ as a Brady or Rodgers type who is going to excel well into their late 30s and beyond. If he wants out, let him. We need the leader of the team to buy in.

Granted, this is hypothetical, since he hasn't actually expressed wanting to leave. There was some friction last offseason, but that kind of thing isn't uncommon in a relationship that has lasted as long as this one has.

and why is that? wilson accolades practically match rodgers and brady and in certain categories wilson outdoes both of them. I don't understand seattle fans who dislike wilson, and then pretend like they are fans of him. If you don't like him, just say that.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
ddores":3p25xl1o said:
TwistedHusky":3p25xl1o said:

Was too funny at a presser about 3 or 4 weeks ago, Pete was talking about last year, and Russ specifically.

Said something about "Letting Russ Co - urp". Then he caught himself. Didn't say the word 'Cook'. Then mentioned "I never used that phrase ALL LAST SEASON".

Thought it was both telling and funny.

it was disrespectful and says everything about how pete carroll really feels about wilson. he never respected wilson, but carroll knows he needs wilson to win. real 2 faced behavior from a coach. its funny, carroll doesn't mind wilson cooking when he needs to win in the 4th quarter after another game where carroll loused it up.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":nrqmx7k0 said:
Typo.

What I was implying was Russ doesn't need to do a Ben Simmonish thing. Sure, he could. But just having his people taking constant shots at Pete, undermining his legacy, taking credit for most of the winning, and then leaking talking points in interviews that imply Pete and the Seahawks are holding him back?

Pete is too egotistical to let that slide.

everything is this statement is true. carroll has been holding the entire team back, not just wilson. carroll has taken credit for the success of the seahawks when it had nothing to do with carroll, carroll just got lucky.

TreeRon

Reaction score
If Russ' agent calls JS and asks the Hawks to trade Russ, they'll trade Russ.
Frankly there are FEW Hawk's players that have any trade value, Russ being the most valuable.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aros":11q00ked said:

I don't agree. Russell has a no trade clause, meaning that he has some cards of his own. That significantly limits the market in the event that we want to pull the trigger on a trade prior to his current agreement expiring.

IMO the ball is in Russell's court. If he feels strongly that he wants out, IMO we do everything in our power to grant his request. We don't want any player, let alone the starting quarterback, to be in a place where he's unhappy.