Documentary About Some Of The Rigged Super Bowls

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Super Bowl XL is profiled, of course, but they still didn't really do it justice of just how bad it really was. They only highlight four major blown calls, but it was so much more than that. It was just about every play there was something fishy going on with the officiating, and it was obvious. It was also Peter Warrick getting a big punt return called back on a phantom "holding" call. It was letting the Steelers jump the gun on defense play after play after play with no offsides called. It was the blatant horse collar no-call against Shaun Alexander by Joey Porter. On and on and on and on. The fix was in, like nobody's ever seen before or since.

Torc

Reaction score
The "block" by Hasslebeck is the play that I bring up whenever someone calls us crybabies for this game. Show me another NFL play, ever, where the tackler was called for an illegal block in the process of making a tackle. It's an indicator that the refs were looking for things to call against the Seahawks.

And then there's Jerome Bettis, he of the 3.9 career YPC. Possibly the most hyped and least deserving hall of famer ever.

Spohawks

Reaction score
The "block" by Hasslebeck is the play that I bring up whenever someone calls us crybabies for this game. Show me another NFL play, ever, where the tackler was called for an illegal block in the process of making a tackle. It's an indicator that the refs were looking for things to call against the Seahawks.

And then there's Jerome Bettis, he of the 3.9 career YPC. Possibly the most hyped and least deserving hall of famer ever.
If anyone wants to revist "The block"...start watching at the 7 minute mark.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I have gone from feeling completely devistated and deceived/robbed to not giving a rip because we didn't play all that well in that game to begin with. Today, here's where I'm at:
First, the Seattle Seahawks did not play well in Superbowl XL. This happened because, in my opinion, Mike Holmgren did not prepare the team as he should have. I think Holmgren, at that point in his career, was starting to coast and that the professional game of football had started to pass him by. When Joey Porter came out and was a complete a**hole about Jeremy Stevens, Holmgren totally mishandled the response and it handed the Stealers the mental edge they needed on a silver platter. That wasn't all Holmgren did wrong, but it was the biggest one.
Second, while the game was not "rigged", it was CLEARLY being steered with a specific outcome in mind. That outcome? The Jerome Bettis swan song in his hometown of Detroit. This was still back when the Seahawks were viewed as a glorified CFL team by the east coast (trust me, that's where I lived when this all went down). There was ZERO push for Seattle to win that game by anyone outside of the PNW. There was just too much money to be made by the League with a Stealer victory in Jermoe Bettis' last year than the South Alaska Seahawks winning their first Championship.
Third, having said all that about the officiating and the east coast bias, I cannot say with a clear conscience that the Seahawks would have still won if the officiating were fair.
So, in conclusion, I chalk it up to the Seahawks being the new kid on the Superbowl block. Because of that, we ended up losing out on any favors by the establishment which combined with our poor play doomed us from the beginning. It sucked, but any time humans are part of the equation, there will be some sort of corruption or meddling involved. I will always hate the Stealers and their POS fans and will tell any of them they didn't earn #5 and they know it.

OP
OP
ZornLargentPatera

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
First, the Seattle Seahawks did not play well in Superbowl XL. This happened because, in my opinion, Mike Holmgren did not prepare the team as he should have. I think Holmgren, at that point in his career, was starting to coast and that the professional game of football had started to pass him by.

See I don't agree with that at all. They played just fine. Holmgren was fine. He was at he height of his career. You just think they "didn't play well" because they were in fact being hamstrung by the officiating every step of the way.

In a fairly officiated game, the result probably would have resembled the outcome of the NFCCG against the Panthers. It would have been a beatdown of the Steelers. That's how good the 2005 Seahawks were. The league knew this, and couldn't have it. Certainly not with Jerome Bettis playing his last game in his hometown.

NoGain

Reaction score
Football is a game of momentum, perhaps more than any other major team sport. The refs in that game broke our momentum or changed the momentum of the game too many times. You just can't recover from that with limited possessions and opportunities.

I don't think it's good practice to blame refs. They make mistakes just like everyone else. But there have been those few times when it became egregious. That was one of those games, and it just happened to be against my team in the effing SB.

Another time I can remember when it crossed the line was the western conference finals in the NBA and the Los Angeles Lakers vs the Sacramento Kings. If anyone saw that series, you'd know what I was talking about. Literally denied the Kings a trip to the NBA finals and an almost certain NBA title over New Jersey.

At least it wasn't against my team.

Aircrew

Reaction score
See I don't agree with that at all. They played just fine. Holmgren was fine. He was at he height of his career. You just think they "didn't play well" because they were in fact being hamstrung by the officiating every step of the way.

In a fairly officiated game, the result probably would have resembled the outcome of the NFCCG against the Panthers. It would have been a beatdown of the Steelers. That's how good the 2005 Seahawks were. The league knew this, and couldn't have it. Certainly not with Jerome Bettis playing his last game in his hometown.
No, I watched the game, the Seahawks didn't play well. Holmgren allowed Joey Porter to bully Jeremy Stevens and the rest of the team by essentially gagging Stevens in his response to being publically disrespected over nothing. What Holmgren should have done is defended his player in the media and it would have charged up his team. Instead, we came out flat and soft.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No, I watched the game, the Seahawks didn't play well. Holmgren allowed Joey Porter to bully Jeremy Stevens and the rest of the team by essentially gagging Stevens in his response to being publically disrespected over nothing. What Holmgren should have done is defended his player in the media and it would have charged up his team. Instead, we came out flat and soft.
And a 'No' right back at ya, you weren't the only one who watched that damned game Air, the penalty called on Hasselbeck alone, blows up your Mike Holmgren tizzy, period.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was at the game.

Trust me, it was worse being there. The fix was in long before kickoff. The entire city of Detroit (God what a Hell Hole) was drenched in Steelers love. There was ONE Seahawks-friendly bar thankfully but it was crystal clear the NFL had no intention of letting the Seahawks win that game down to the Seahawks logo on the side of Ford Field being backwards (see below). The only time I have ever seen the Seahawks logo facing left in my entire life sans on the helmet itself. (I'm a graphic designer and notice that stuff, lol).

The weather was what you imagine it would be in Detroit in February. It was awful. The city felt like an abandoned concrete warehouse. When it was finally time to head into Ford Field they were handing out Terrible Towels. No option for Seahawks towels mind you. Only a sea of yellow allowed.

And then of course the biggest crime in NFL history unfolded in front of my eyes for three hours.

I always tried to downplay the entire experience by simply saying "Well at least I can say I got to see the Seahawks first ever Super Bowl in person." Yeah, like who cares. The entire experience was just that bad.

D4cb669 e892 44a4 88db 0616e7fffe09 USATSI 2133584

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZornLargentPatera

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
I was at the game.

Trust me, it was worse being there. The fix was in long before kickoff. The entire city of Detroit (God what a Hell Hole) was drenched in Steelers love. There was ONE Seahawks-friendly bar thankfully but it was crystal clear the NFL had no intention of letting the Seahawks win that game down to the Seahawks logo on the side of Ford Field being backwards. The only time I have ever seen the Seahawks logo facing left in my entire left sans on the helmet itself. (I'm a graphic designer and notice that stuff, lol).

The weather was what you imagine it would be in Detroit in February. It was awful. The city felt like an abandoned concrete warehouse. When it was finally time to head into Ford Field they were handing out Terrible Towels. No option for Seahawks towels mind you. Only a sea of yellow allowed.

And then of course the biggest crime in NFL history unfolded in front of my eyes for three hours.

I always tried to downplay the entire experience by simply saying "Well at least I can say I got to see the Seahawks first ever Super Bowl in person." Yeah, like who cares. The entire experience was just that bad.

I had always hoped in the aftermath some group of Seahawks fans with the legal expertise to do it would have organized a class-action lawsuit against the NFL on behalf of all Seahawks fans everywhere who ever bought an NFL-licensed Seahawks jersey, a ticket to a game, an NFL tv-package of some sort, and so on.

TAB420

Reaction score
I had always hoped in the aftermath some group of Seahawks fans with the legal expertise to do it would have organized a class-action lawsuit against the NFL on behalf of all Seahawks fans everywhere who ever bought an NFL-licensed Seahawks jersey, a ticket to a game, an NFL tv-package of some sort, and so on.
Is that possible since they operate under an entertainment license? I thought the Jet fans already tried this?

Mix

Reaction score
Superbowl losers always cry foul.

It comes with all the emotion the game brings.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Very true. But when it's that egregious and over the top, you can't just say oh well, you didn't play good enough, stop being a whiner. The deck was quite obviously stacked against us.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I heard the NFL used Pac-12 refs in the flag football game yesterday? If so, it must have been to make their own refs look good by comparison. Or maybe what I read was just a sarcastic comment on the level of reffing in the game...