Do you believe this about Russell Wilson?

Palmegranite

Reaction score

This video right here does a great job talking about Russ and his limitations as a passer. He's a limited QB, always has been. He only knows how to run dumbed down offenses.

You know, sometimes it's the limitations that make the athlete. They're operating at the absolute edge....

Pete got it. He embraced it. Sean Payton? It's not really possible with linear thinkers like him.

Just a different character, and personality altogether.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You know, sometimes it's the limitations that make the athlete. They're operating at the absolute edge....

Pete got it. He embraced it. Sean Payton? It's not really possible with linear thinkers like him.

Just a different character, and personality altogether.
Those limitations as a passer at the age of 35 on a huge athletic decline become a huge detriment. The thing that defined Wilson as a passer was his improvisation skills. No other QB could pull off that same BS. It was goofy to watch, he made some of the most skilled, elite athletes look like they belonged back in a division 2 college.

Wilson's issue is that he never learned to play the game properly. Wilson never had to lean on anticipation throwing, rhythm or utilizing the middle of the field. He only knows how to play the game one way and that style relies on improvisation. Wilson no longer has the athleticism to pull off that playstyle. With his body slowing down, it's really exacerbating the flaws in Wilson's game as a passer. He never learned how to approach the game from more orthodox methods -- and unfortunately now he cannot pull off the same theatrics at this stage in his career. Without that improvisation skill, Wilson becomes a fairly pedestrian passer that severely hamstrings your offense.

Wilson's time as a relevant passer in the NFL is over. Would've been over here in Seattle under Carroll too. We started seeing the same declines in his play his last season here that we saw in Denver. All of this with a price tag of over 200 million.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yes, I know but found the sack numbers interesting and both are on the
worst OL team in the NFL?
Almost like a built in excuse to take a bunch of sacks.
Actually, if you believe in the PFF rankings, Denver's 2023 offensive line was ranked 7th in pass blocking. Not a lot of room for excuses.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Those limitations as a passer at the age of 35 on a huge athletic decline become a huge detriment. The thing that defined Wilson as a passer was his improvisation skills. No other QB could pull off that same BS. It was goofy to watch, he made some of the most skilled, elite athletes look like they belonged back in a division 2 college.

Wilson's issue is that he never learned to play the game properly. Wilson never had to lean on anticipation throwing, rhythm or utilizing the middle of the field. He only knows how to play the game one way and that style relies on improvisation. Wilson no longer has the athleticism to pull off that playstyle. With his body slowing down, it's really exacerbating the flaws in Wilson's game as a passer. He never learned how to approach the game from more orthodox methods -- and unfortunately now he cannot pull off the same theatrics at this stage in his career. Without that improvisation skill, Wilson becomes a fairly pedestrian passer that severely hamstrings your offense.

Wilson's time as a relevant passer in the NFL is over. Would've been over here in Seattle under Carroll too. We started seeing the same declines in his play his last season here that we saw in Denver. All of this with a price tag of over 200 million.
This. Father time is undefeated. QBs that play a style like Russ do not see a gradual decline. They fall off a cliff. Poof!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This. Father time is undefeated. QBs that play a style like Russ do not see a gradual decline. They fall off a cliff. Poof!
Yep! His playstyle depends on his mobility, without that he's not a great QB. The Russ we knew was a completely different beast than the shell that you saw his last year and a half here and in Denver.

Russell Wilson's mobility was so important for him, because it allowed him to combat size. Back tracking 10 steps into the backfield helped him see more of the field and launch the ball from better angles. That is how he overcame his height difficulties. Other short QB's have had a hard time replicating what Wilson did, because Wilson's scrambling talent was generational. His ability to throw dimes from really weird platforms on the move just defied physics. Wilson in his prime could pull stunts that even guys like Mahomes couldn't replicate. He still had the same drawbacks, it's just that he had a work around.

When he started getting slower teams just used two high shells against Wilson and he would struggle to do anything.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Russel was great at the read option, complety froze the defense for a split second. Did he give the ball to Lynch or did he keep it?

Russell was great at extending the play with his legs. He was one of the very best a throwing the ball while running. Once again froze the defense for a spit second, is he going to throw or run?

Russell throws a very nice deep ball.

Russell sucks at quick developing plays, cannot do a three step drop ball is gone play. Tried that in the second superbowl and we all cried about how that worked out. One could question if he could even do a five step consistently

Once Russell lost his legs or the desire to use his legs, it was over. Pretty standard for most running QBs. Problem is Russell developed an unrealistic perception on how good he was making himself hard to coach. Lost what made him great and didn’t have what was necessary to overcome that

He has become an easy QB to defend against
Spot on assessment , why everyone else hasn't seen or noticed there was even an issue was comical
They shoulda just read this forum lol

Ozzy

Reaction score
How did he not take the blame? He said himself in the below interview that he is to blame, he threw the ball.

It's pointless. People hate him so everything is his fault. He was only good because of Pete, he's a terrible human, he had no impact on the best decade of Seahawks football in history etc. you get the idea. He took the blame knowing that he probably had the least amount of blame on that play yet people above are trying to convince us he's a terrible human. I dont get people. I get people wanting him to fail miserably now because he left in a terrible fashion but the revisionist stuff is always weird to me. Even though this proves them wrong they will ignore this and repeat the same thing next time this conversation pops up.

Threedee

Reaction score
Me3 not taking a piece of the blame for throwing it in the wrong spot or at all is the issue
and that is what the stans overlook.
Throw it away or run to left and toss to Beast just standing there was the other options but
he wanted the glory and lost the team.
All that was left after was Team3 and the dynasty build up crumbled.
All this being said, Fire Bevell.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Well, that high cliff in Poopsburgh is going to be his last fall me thinks. His day's are numbered, career is dwindling and it's hard for me to imagine him taking on a back up role anywhere. I don't think his self delusional egotistical, living in his own envisioned shadows of once greatness will allow him to lower himself to a back up quarterback in the NFL. He will never accomplish what he had hoped to be a stellar Super Bowl winning QB and live to a Brady type status in the NFL...just not going to happen. One day I hope he'll have a heart to heart sit down with the coach who once helped make him great during the pinnacle of his career and thank the others in the LOB who brought us our first Super Bowl win. It was a unique time for Seahawk fans, a young capable unknown QB, a coach who was able to find unheard of players and make them into legends and a defense which has yet be duplicated again by the Seahawks so far. It wasn't just Russ who brought us the Lombardi but a combination of many things, which I don't think Russ fully understood. Russ is done.

chris98251

Reaction score
Russ was successful in the Read Option the way we implemented it, then teams adjusted, spread DE's wide and have a Safety or Linebacker spy and go two deep zone, switching up who was dropping, then noticing he always did his roll away at the same spot, couple that with hey he doesn't use the middle of the field. He doesn't have Marshawn Lynch. Boom Russ is suddenly Mortal.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Russ was successful in the Read Option the way we implemented it, then teams adjusted, spread DE's wide and have a Safety or Linebacker spy and go two deep zone, switching up who was dropping, then noticing he always did his roll away at the same spot, couple that with hey he doesn't use the middle of the field. He doesn't have Marshawn Lynch. Boom Russ is suddenly Mortal.
You ever see how he practices that roll away? Instead of doing it for staying in the pocket
and learning how to use it like good qbs,he's doing roll aways with cement legs.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's pointless. People hate him so everything is his fault. He was only good because of Pete, he's a terrible human, he had no impact on the best decade of Seahawks football in history etc. you get the idea. He took the blame knowing that he probably had the least amount of blame on that play yet people above are trying to convince us he's a terrible human. I dont get people. I get people wanting him to fail miserably now because he left in a terrible fashion but the revisionist stuff is always weird to me. Even though this proves them wrong they will ignore this and repeat the same thing next time this conversation pops up.
He's the QB who threw an off the mark pass that got intercepted and cost us the SB,
are you kidding me?
The play ends with him so he has the control over it,like toss it away if there is any doubt
with passing it.
He rightfully took the blame although it was a bad play call to have him execute.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
BO and 3 is about to be BO AND 4 after they get their a**es whipped in week 1 in Seattle. F Sean Payton. Overrated.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Net2Fwp content2Fuploads2F20212F082FScarecrow