Do we draft a pass rusher over QB at 5?

James in PA

Reaction score
This SB tonight proved that this is still an offense and QB driven league. It was all about the 2 QB's. There were lots of great pass rushers in this game and none of them did jack. Zero factor. Both defenses were awful.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No. The FO seems to have a clue regarding QB's. Pass rushers,,,,not so much. Better off signing a FA like Carlos Dunlap. Oops!

nwHawk

Reaction score
Defensive Tackle is a big need. No pushing the pocket = washed out of the play DEs.

QB is the most cost effective option long term at #5, as long as the hit.

12forlife

Reaction score
Idk i think we build/fill holes through FA & another strong draft. Then next season go all in on a Franchise QB. Next seasons QB class is shaping up to be elite!

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
Idk i think we build/fill holes through FA & another strong draft. Then next season go all in on a Franchise QB. Next seasons QB class is shaping up to be elite!
Last year, they said the same thing about this upcoming draft. And I doubt we are going to be picking top 5 again. So, if John really likes one of the 3 to 4 big name QBs in this draft, I say do it now.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Yours is the $64,000 question for sure. But zipping from 1st rd to 7th, I definitely want to grab an Isiah Pacheco clone. LOL. Man, that kid is special. Mad props to KC in finding / stealing this rook in last year's draft.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
To be fair, we had the top 2 offensive lines facing off against those pass rushers. Perhaps there is a clue there.

I didn't get the sense that Philly's Pasa rush disrupted much, but Hurts was under heavy fire, and was disrupted multiple times.

Frank Clark had a hell of a game. Jones was mostly nullified, but likely drew attention that left others able to pressure Hurts.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I completely understand the original point, a game like yesterday shows the value of a dynamic QB. However, I like to be careful with 'snapshots'. Defense won the Super Bowl last year, not McVay or Pizzaboy. I would argue defense won about 8 or 9 of the last 10 Super Bowls. Hawks Pats was about the last "shootout".
-- And I actually see Mahomes being generational like Brady, and Hurts being dynamic but limited like Wilson. As the supporting cast fades, so will he.

-- So as to who to draft, I think you have to leave that to the larger plan in place for the franchise. If we sign Geno to any type of long term deal, then we have to put as much talent around him as possible, especially defensive, and hope to win lower scoring slugfests. But if they do see a QB they like a lot at # 5, then just pull the trigger, and let's move on.

Mase

Jac

Reaction score
If you have a franchise QB at 5 you take him. If you don't then you go Edge or DT. That's how I think they're going to view it.
It's this simple for me as well. If you see a potential franchise QB at #5, you have to take the chance because you're not going to be at this draft position often. It's still a 50/50 success proposition at best, but that's just how it goes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are in a very good position to say the least. They can take the guy they want at 5 IF he's a QB they believe in and he's still there. OR, grab a pass rusher. OR, if a team is QB hungry, they can offer up some extra picks to move down a few spots. Should be one hell of a fun draft. Especially day 1

ivotuk

Reaction score
Build in the trenches. We have Geno. I don't trust any one of those QBs to be "generational" so you build an elite defense and run with Geno.

The main reason we lost to New England was the injuries we had on defense. Lane broken arm, our best pass rusher Avril out with a concussion, IIRC, Sherman and Kam had elbow problems.

And New England ignored Julian Edelman's concussion and kept him on the field.

I'm a firm believe in Defense wins Championships. I think the field in the Toaster limited defensive play Sunday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This SB tonight proved that this is still an offense and QB driven league. It was all about the 2 QB's. There were lots of great pass rushers in this game and none of them did jack. Zero factor. Both defenses were awful.

A little shortsighted.

These were the top two defensive lines in the entire league, and the Eagle's had the #1 O-line in the league.

Yes, you usually need some dynamic QB play to win SB's. But IMO more than anything you need elite line play. On both sides of the ball. Saw both on display last night, from both teams.

cheese22

Reaction score
"Yes, you usually need some dynamic QB play to win SB's. But IMO more than anything you need elite line play. On both sides of the ball. Saw both on display last night, from both teams." -Sgt. Largent
Agree 100%. But, with this years draft capital, it's the perfect time to do both.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
"Yes, you usually need some dynamic QB play to win SB's. But IMO more than anything you need elite line play. On both sides of the ball. Saw both on display last night, from both teams." -Sgt. Largent
Agree 100%. But, with this years draft capital, it's the perfect time to do both.

Yep.

I've said for months it's not an either or thing. But if we're prioritizing need?

1. D-line
2. O-line
3. QB

What that means as the draft goes along I have no idea, but this team's not going anywhere other than being fringe WC team unless they drastically improve both lines.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Agreed. Hurts' relatively weak arm showed how important good line play is. He compensates by running a ton. That won't wear well for him over time.

Boycie

Reaction score
They said this about this year's class last year. I remember Matt Barkley being the sure fire #1 can't miss for his draft class, and then went back for another year, and look where he is now.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I trust Pete and John will NOT reach for a QB unless they think he's a can't-miss legit guy and if so I'll be on board with that choice, but I think they will go D and O
line for at least the first 3-4 picks.

CPHawk

Reaction score
No. The FO seems to have a clue regarding QB's. Pass rushers,,,,not so much. Better off signing a FA like Carlos Dunlap. Oops!
Dunlap and Clark played a ton for KC. Clark played really well.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Dunlap and Clark played a ton for KC. Clark played really well.

Thats my point. A couple of ex Seahawks that were let go, now wearing Super Bowl rings. Why do these types of players keep being let go when pass rushing is such a concern? Makes you wonder.