DK to be fined $90,000 for unexcused mini camp absence

W

Welshers

A lot of misinformation in the other thread that he is simply sitting out because of an injury. No, this is a holdout. I wish I could afford to lose 90 grand for 3 days of work.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, can't get worried if I try. He isn't going to hold out or be traded. It's June 8th. If he's not at training camp in August? Different story.

nwHawk

Reaction score
On way to make headlines.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Meh, can't get worried if I try. He isn't going to hold out or be traded. It's June 8th. If he's not at training camp in August? Different story.
I dunno man. If he was willing to let go of 90k like that he might be serious about this

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If you wanna' worry about it, go for it. I just choose to take it as it is, this is nothing new in the NFL.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Still haven't seen that the team has actually fined him. I see a lot of "subject to" and "could be" in the reporting. The $90k figure is just the allowable fine per the CBA. Get back to me when the headline reads "Team has fined Metcalf $xxx."

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Still haven't seen that the team has actually fined him. I see a lot of "subject to" and "could be" in the reporting. The $90k figure is just the allowable fine per the CBA. Get back to me when the headline reads "Team has fined Metcalf $xxx."
Ok i reread and you are correct. Regardless the absence is unexcused. I would imagine they'd waive the fine as to not set him off further

sutz

Reaction score
The teams never fine a guy for stuff like this. They "can" but it always gets washed away
I wouldn't say "never." It depends on how toxic the relationship is. Right now, it doesn't look like the DK/Seahawks relationship has gone off the rails yet. Yet.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
DK misses a practice, people will start calling him a Diva. Big Walt actually held out 3 straight seasons. Nobody batted an eye.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
When Walt "held out", he did so before he signed his franchise tender so technically, he wasn't under contract. Also, that was several CBAs ago, which means there were no mandatory fines at the time like there are now.

And last point... iirc, the latest CBA does not give the team the option to waive the fines. They are collected.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, let's be real honest here. He's now going to be pegged a diva and a problem because he's somehow "holding out"
Then, when he finally does sign his huge contract, people are going to blast him for taking so much money and not being a "team guy"

He can't win with a chunk of fans.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
DK misses a practice, people will start calling him a Diva. Big Walt actually held out 3 straight seasons. Nobody batted an eye.
Big Walt was a different personality. I am not concerned about DK at this point, but comparing Walter's actions in this situation to DK's likely isn't valid. Also, he technically wasn't under contract, so...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Not really my point, which is that people love to pile on DK. It's ridiculous. Just my own opinion.

Torc

Reaction score
And last point... iirc, the latest CBA does not give the team the option to waive the fines. They are collected.
They can waive the fines because he is on his rookie contract:

"Under previous CBAs, the fines could be reduced or waived. Fine forgiveness or reduction is only allowed for players under rookie contracts, such as Adams, with the current CBA." (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...onger-a-bargaining-tool-for-todays-nfl-stars/)

I would fully expect that part of his new contract agreement will be waiving any fines, whether that is actually written into it or not.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is actually good news.

If DK wants a better contract that means they have a chance to keep him.

He isn't demanding a trade.

He seems to be posturing for another contract. That would require him staying, right?
Keeping one of the few stars on the team isn't a negative and might help us if we ever get a QB.

sutz

Reaction score
It is actually good news.

If DK wants a better contract that means they have a chance to keep him.

He isn't demanding a trade.

He seems to be posturing for another contract. That would require him staying, right?
Keeping one of the few stars on the team isn't a negative and might help us if we ever get a QB.
Well, yes. If he signs a new deal, or an extension of his current deal, he'll still be under contract to play here.