Did Kenneth Walker III watch Barry Sanders growing up?

Smellyman

Reaction score
It is really hard to compare RBs but I think you will see a Shawn Alexander Jr. out there. One more strong draft of Olinemen and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Dude won Camp award and Doak award. Player of the year and Running back of the year...he has potential!
Penny is more Alexander. Big, smooth runners who are deceptively fast.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Penny has been a butt licking injured back outside of the last few games. He has no business in the same conversation as Alexander.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Because that is what we are talking about
Sorry, I am fresh from the politics section of .Net, its a different energy over there. You really have to bring it to hang

Walker is just 2 inches shorter than Alaxander, I don't see that much difference but I am going off of memory. I will have to check some tape on all 3.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
You guys want to feel old?

The truth is that Kenneth Walker III actually grew up watching AP, Chris Johnson, and Maurice Jones Drew. His likely earliest memory of a dominant running back (at around age 6) is LaDainian Tomlinson.
LOL! Has anyone seen my cane? But I hope watching WalkerIII makes me feel younger again.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I am slowly accepting that if KW3 and Penny can rock, we may only have to throw 45-50% of the snaps. That reduce the load on our questionable QBs,

balakoth

Reaction score
Considering Sanders retired in 1998 and Walker wasn’t born until 2000, I doubt he watched him growing up, other than YouTube highlights.

As far as a comparison goes, size and speed is very similar. Their running styles are very different. Sanders could cut and change direction like no other. Our own Curt Warner was closest to Sanders in terms of running style.

KW3 reminds me more of Walter Payton in terms of actual running style. I’m extremely excited about this guy and his potential. This draft class looks like it could be a really good one and it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Walker ends up the crown jewel of the class.
...... so apparently Walker hasn't clearly shown the cut and change of direction.. what actually was the point here? Walker clearly cuts and changes direction even better than Sanders at basic college level...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
...... so apparently Walker hasn't clearly shown the cut and change of direction.. what actually was the point here? Walker clearly cuts and changes direction even better than Sanders at basic college level...
The point was that the two have different running styles. Better than Sanders?! Show me video proof.

samwize77

Reaction score
Walker appears to have very good vision on draw/play action plays. He appears to be able to bounce/cut to the open hole very well....very decisively. He doesn't seem to cut to the outside for the sake of cutting it out.

There is no comparison to BS at this point....Walker is a good back coming out of college....we'll see when the speed of the NFL is in his face. His style? Quick moves....good vision...good straight line speed......alot of backs in the NFL are like that. Why compare to the best already??

nanomoz

Reaction score
They're nowhere near similar. That comparison is unfair to one and an insult to the other.

Best comparison I can think of is DeAngelo Williams. Maybe a more compact Clinton Portis.
Reminds me of Fred Taylor. A lot.

Reactions: Rat

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you grew on PNW football, you love yourself a great RB. Even if the rules of the NFL seem to be pushing RBs away.

But watching Barry was like watching a God. He had freaking Rodney Pete (or worse, Scott Mitchell) as his QB. Whenever the Lions were on TV, I was there in front of the TV as a kid.
One of the best parts of Thanksgiving was actually watching Barry that day.

It would be great to see Walker be a fantastic back. I need to see him vs NFL talent in games first.

But aside from that, all hail Barry. Damn I loved watching him play.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Walker has better stop and start moves than Alexander. SA is one of my all time favorite Seahawks, but I see more cutback and change of direction abilities in KW3 than what SA possessed. Alexander’s running style was perfect for running behind Jones and Hutch. He was more smooth and anticipatory in hitting the open lanes.
Walker, from what I have seen possesses some of the same abilities as SA but can cut on a dime quicker than SA could.
SA glided through the line into the second level but he wasn't a quick cut guy. Penny actually really reminded me of SA the last 4-5 games. Not to take anything away from his performance, but the line was opening some really good holes for him. I always thought Carson was way too quick in hitting the line which is one of the many reasons the holes weren't always there for him. But Penny just sort of slid through there like a greased bowling ball and was all fo a sudden face to face with the LBs.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
If the Seahawks somehow surprise and get 10 wins, it will be because of this kid and the new defense.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
New defens
If the Seahawks somehow surprise and get 10 wins, it will be because of this kid and the new defense.
Defense and running game. For ten mins to happen, we need to rush for 2200-2500 yards with average close to or north of 5 yards per carry

SNDavidson

Reaction score
New defens

Defense and running game. For ten mins to happen, we need to rush for 2200-2500 yards with average close to or north of 5 yards per carry
Did you watch that Michigan game? :p

SNDavidson

Reaction score
"Walker, who entered Saturday's game leading the nation in rushing yards per game (142.2) and second in the country in rushing yards, finished the game with 197 yards on 23 carries, earned his 10th career 100-yard rushing game and recorded the most touchdowns by any player against Michigan all-time. "

Totally agree toffee, overall offensive speed and running game with modern fast defense sounds like a good way forward

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
"Walker, who entered Saturday's game leading the nation in rushing yards per game (142.2) and second in the country in rushing yards, finished the game with 197 yards on 23 carries, earned his 10th career 100-yard rushing game and recorded the most touchdowns by any player against Michigan all-time. "

Totally agree toffee, overall offensive speed and running game with modern fast defense sounds like a good way forward
Most runs averaged around 4-4.5 yards per carry; passes, average over 7 yards. No doubt the passing is the bigger yards gainer. But runs takes more time off the clock and defense on the field longer.

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm sure KW3 will be a fine RB but, to compare him to Berry Sanders is a bit of a stretch. He hasn't even ran the ball yet. Com'on !

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
That's the comp I see, too. Especially that slight juke in the 2nd level that changes their run angle just enough to maintain their speed up-field and tackles just slide off them