Defensive Analysis of 1st quarter vs Bills...

Tokadub

Reaction score
Here's a list of obvious mistakes by the Seahawk's Defense vs the Buffalo Bills in just the 1st quarter...

Opening kickoff… #36 Randall doesn’t hold the edge, is completely out of position, looks flat footed, and STUMBLES all in one play….

2nd and 4 Wagner looks like he weighs an extra 100 pounds… he gets torched but it looks like he’s running in slow motion. I can only assume he’s severely injured I could run much faster than that to be honest and I never even played college sports and I’m not in great shape atm…

1st and 10 Bills Touchdown… Diggs is just too slow, he had a slightly delayed reaction but also just runs too slow…. he just couldn’t cover the ground to make an easy interception…… Earl Thomas in his prime would of intercepted that so easily or at least contested the ball… Diggs wasn’t even close to touching the receiver? He looked casual or lazy… I didn’t see any hustle from Diggs here.

1st and 10 to right side of field… defender catches the ball on the sideline for a first down with no defender within 10-15 yards… this already happened on the opening drive but it looked acceptable for a one time occurrence… happened again within the first 2 minutes and 30 seconds of the game… adjustments should have been made after the first time… it was an obvious weak spot for our defense the first time this time was even worst…

2nd and 15 the exact same catch on the right side of field sideline… still no adjustment the receiver is wide open no defenders within 10 yards… this is the 3rd time this has happened in about 4 minutes… Either the Cornerback needs to play man coverage or Jamal Adams needs to cover that side of the field deliberately… Jamal Adams even points directly at the receiver at the start of the play but the coverage is so soft by Dunbar he still picks up 13 yards… This one is 100% on Jamal he did nothing on this play the only thing he could of done here is cover the guy he pointed at but he just stood there idle…

3rd and 2 we sent one of our players to blitz who should have been covering the receiver on left side of field… no chance for Bobby to make up that ground with 2 yards to go… looks like a bad play call.

1st and 10 Jamal Adams again seems to be a non-factor here… nowhere near the guy that it seems he should of covered… the Bills reach our 3 yard line here wide open with a huge run after catch.

1st and 10 another throw to the right sideline for 9 yards… our 2 defenders are mixed up in the zone coverage and don’t cover the sidelines correctly… this is the 4th time this has happened in the 1st quarter??? Why can they not figure it out yet? PRO TIP, COVER THE SIDELINE!!!!

1st and 10, 10 yard completion right sideline wide open receiver… Dunbar is about 10 yards off… this just happened 2 plays in a row… Seahawks have been beat by essentially the same play 5 times in the first quarter… they never even came close (within 10 yards) of defending it… what is this trash???

End of 1st quarter…

Conclusion:

It's very concerning to me that the Bills could run virtually the same play 5 times in one quarter and we never even contested it whatsoever... Dunbar was always playing way too soft but the other players involved were always covering too far into the center of the field...

We already have Bobby, KJ, and usually 1-2 other guys in the middle of the field... why can we not have someone help hold the sideline? If we haven't coached that then this is a huge coaching disaster...

On one of the plays we had literally 4 guys standing in the middle of the field and gave up an 8-9 yard reception wide open... It kind of seems like we are just not using each player effectively... How can you not have 1 player contest the ball you just have 4 standing behind someone with nobody even coming close to touching him?

Some of our guys looked a bit slow or injured (Bobby), or lazy (Diggs).

My last concern is Jamal Adams looked really lost in the first quarter. I'm not sure if he just needs more time to figure out his role in our defense or if he's just really bad reading the offense? It seems like he is totally clueless on where he should be going until he knows 100% where the ball is going... Hopefully this is just a bad 1st quarter or we might of wasted a lot of draft capital on a guy who can't play zone in our system... He seems to have no instinct on where he should be and a decent amount of these first quarter plays seemed to be his fault...

I think part of the reason our Defense used to be so great with Sherman, Earl Thomas, Chancellor is they just had the natural instinct of how to read the plays and react fluidly on time... Jamal Adams seems to have that level of physical talent but he just isn't in the right places yet from what I can tell, he doesn't even react at all sometimes... Hopefully the coaches can help him there...

seabowl

Reaction score
1000% agree. The scheme is mind boggling and a child could have noticed the issue after 1-2 of the same play. I've said it before, how are non professional folks like us seeing this but the professional coaches who do this every day not able to understand what was going on?

Love Pete but with the Cable Bevell fiasco and how long it took to make a move on that, I do not hold out hope for quick fixes.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
You know the feeling when you put on a freshly washed pair of jeans and it feels like they shrunk a couple of sizes?
Thats what the defense looked like in the first quarter against Buffalo.
Maybe its the laundry coordinators fault!!!

TreeRon

Reaction score
Arguing about the scheme or coaching et al is perplexing to me. These pro football players have been coached their entire lives. They know what to do or should know what to do. It's not like it's pee wee football and the kids haven't a clue.
I just don't get that a pro DB sees that he's giving up to many yards and ergo easy reception does not self correct. Only thing I can assume is he's hurt and knows he'd get torched for a big gain or even a TD if he pressed. The bottom line, either it's quick death (td) or a slow death (td). It's eventually a td either way.