D’wayne Eskridge and new Kickoff rules

chris98251

Reaction score
Leon Washington, Charlie Rogers, Bobby Joe Edmunds type guys will have good value again.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
I was really surprised they let the kid go who two seasons ago busted quite a few big returns , blankin on his name but he seemed to be excellent in that regard

far north

Reaction score
Was hoping they would draft the most explosive returner in the draft late

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah I called it the Bettis Bowl along with many others, Pissburgh home field advantage in Bettis's home town, whole weekend catered to him and his team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Time will tell but I believe that the new k/o rules will favor those returners with quick feet and ability to make a tackler miss... which are not Eskridge's strengths... but certainly are K9's strengths.

K9 should be the kick returner imo.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I was really surprised they let the kid go who two seasons ago busted quite a few big returns , blankin on his name but he seemed to be excellent in that regard

Godwin Igwebuike?​

Igwebuike got a one-year, $1.01M contract from the Falcons last year. He was with them for two games, but didn't return any kickoffs. The Stealers then signed him off the Falcons' practice squad. He then played in ten games for the Stealers (inactive for the other five, including his first three as a Stealer), returning 11 kickoffs for an average of 25.6 yards each (282 yards total).

2024 would be Igwebuike's age-30 season. He was considered a DB in 2018-2019, went to the Seattle Dragons for 2020, and then was considered a running back and primarily kick returner in 2021 for Detroit, 2022 for the 'Hawks, and 2023 for the Falcons (technically) and Stealers.

OverTheCap says Igwebuike is an RFA this offseason. Spotrac says he's a UFA. Even if OverTheCap had been right and Igwebuike was an RFA for the Stealers, the cheapest RFA tender (right of first refusal) is nearly $3M. I doubt the Stealers will pay him that. I don't think the Stealers have offered him an RFA tender, but they might be negotiating with him as a UFA.

flv2

Reaction score
This has already, in essence, been tested in the XFL. The XFL averaged almost 9 return attempts per game while the NFL averaged 2.2. The XFL average return was 21.3 yards vs. the NFLs 23.0.

No one, and I do mean no one, is going to give up almost 9 yards per drive on average just to prevent the very unlikely possibility of a return touchdown, or even a long return.

There are going to be more returns. There's absolutely no question about it. There is no incentive to booting it out of the endzone anymore. At all.
They wouldn't necessarily be giving up 9 yards. A touch-back would be at the 30. A 21 yard return from the 4 yard line would be at the 25. Teams might bean-count the value of 5 yards versus the risk of injuries. The NFL's return yardage figure is questionable because it's calculated from the reception point, (which is normally in the endzone). A 30 yard return from 7 yards deep under the old rules looked nice statistically but in real terms it was a return for -2.