Cowboys HC

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If they recruit from college, they'll get someone who's used to having control over player evaluation, which Jerrah won't cede. Within a couple years, he'll probably leave.

Thing is, though, they'd be struggling at bottom of the barrel for NFL talent. Maybe they'd interview Shurmur or Kitchens. Hell, Redskins just dumped their whole defensive staff, so Tomsula is now available. But I think even Tomsula would decline given his own rodeo with Jed York in 2014.

Coaches always fail with meddling owners. It's not until they decide to be hands off that things change. Jerrah won't do that. Garrett is and has been Jerrah's best option for the type of owner he is. It's not about the fake fambily values here, it's that Garrett has been a serviceable yes-man to Jerrah for a decade and is probably the best coach suited for that role.

But due to his control issue, Jerrah himself has been publicly threatening Garrett's firing for the past year, words which now undermine his possible sentiment to keep Garrett.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Urban Meyer would be a good fit.

My less than 1% likely hood guesses:

I wouldn't put it past Jerruh trying to trade for a coach. What if (BIG IF) he traded for McVay. Rams needs picks and to shed some salary, so maybe a #1 and say brandin Cooks? They are likely moving away from Amari Cooper this off season and will likely need to add another WR.

Could Bill Cowher be talked outta retirement for the right price?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Oh brother. There's a Giants sportswriter already calling on the team to interview Garrett...

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/cowbo ... flaws.html

But sitting down with Garrett makes a lot of sense for Mara and Co. He should get an interview.
Yes, things didn’t end well for him in Dallas. But he has won as a head coach — something that can’t be said of McDaniels or Bieniemy. And while Rhule has winning head coaching experience, he’s never been anything more than an assistant offensive line coach in the NFL.
The value of Garrett to Mara depends a lot on how much the Giants’ brass values NFL head coaching experience. If it’s a significant consideration, then Garrett ought to at least get a serious look. After all, the Giants are already interviewing, on Friday, one NFL retread head coach — Mike McCarthy. Why not give Garrett a shot?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. Never in the history of the NFL have I seen more fake melodramatic deep sadness conscious uncoupling nonsense with firing a coach. Jerry was leaking out BS "oh man this is such a hard decision for me WHY GOD WHY!!??" to all the main sports reporters trying to soften this VERY obvious firing.

2. Because of Jones, very few bigtime names like Meyer, McDaniels, etc want to go to Dallas and work under a meddling owner like Jones. It's why Jimmy Johnson left, and why Jones kept Garrett for so long........he's a suck up yes man that lets Jerry call all the shots.

What top tier prospective coach wants that situation? So until Jones backs off and lets the new HC have more power and control? It's probably going to be another yes man.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerruh wants a “yes man”. He doesn’t want his own meddling to be questioned by the coach.
Jerruh wants all of the credit for any success and none of the blame for failures.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jerry may go for a Parcells, Jimmy Johnson type guys again to get his last Super Bowl win if he can, it will be a 4 year or so stint at best or unless Jerry Croaks, but I could see it happening.

He would have to pay Harbaugh or Meyer a bundle and give them control over a lot though, Jerry isn't going to sneak up on anyone.

I agree he is comfortable with the yes man, but wants a Super Bowl more.

He has a lot of pieces there to work with, just need someone to come in and right the ship and instill a bit of discipline and focus.

Something some ex 49er Coach did once before.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":x54dfuhn said:

Nine years of holding onto Garrett with one of the most talented rosters in the NFL underachieving on an annual basis says otherwise.

That's the thing with power hungry narcissists like Jones, they NEVER think they're the problem. They just think it's everyone else around them.........so the rarely change their ways, especially old dudes like Jones.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":zwlvbcpk said:
chris98251":zwlvbcpk said:

Nine years of holding onto Garrett with one of the most talented rosters in the NFL underachieving on an annual basis says otherwise.

That's the thing with power hungry narcissists like Jones, they NEVER think they're the problem. They just think it's everyone else around them.........so the rarely change their ways, especially old dudes like Jones.

But he is due, his cycle has been Johnson, and then a bunch of Jerry Yes men, then Parcells, then more yes men, now I am thinking another Football guy

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I wonder, given the Parcells history, if Jerrah might offer Tom Coughlin the HC with no GM responsibility.

As Jerruh himself is the GM and everyone knows he's grooming his son, I'd expect that to fit in perfectly with both Coughlin's mindset and his reality. Coughlin won't have the jealousy or power struggles with a GM when that's Jerrah. He knows there's no one to appeal to.

Coughlin has said through his agent he's still interested in working. Jerruh might see his age as a net positive; in any case, he, Jerrah, is more likely to treat Coughlin as a peer for that reason, plus that he won two SBs. Both are way big into "tough-love," which Coughlin could practice without flagrant violation of the CBA.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Who is he trying to get? Are there any indications of who Jerry wants it to be now that they moved on? Money talks so even though it is a difficult situation they will land somebody.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2xy5ce9g said:
Who is he trying to get? Are there any indications of who Jerry wants it to be now that they moved on? Money talks so even though it is a difficult situation they will land somebody.

The rumor has been Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley, but who knows? I doubt Meyer will coach again because of health issues, though.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":1cqhcebd said:
SanDiego49er":1cqhcebd said:

The rumor has been Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley, but who knows? I doubt Meyer will coach again because of health issues, though.

Urban Meyer probably no because of the health issues like you said. Lincoln Riley maybe if he gets offered enough money and he is close to that region. So maybe. Jerry has lots of money from that stadium and all the TV and marketing deals he does as extra for the Cowboys specifically.

Latest posts