Could we get anything good for Boykin from:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3a5ac20r said:
And I'd be surprised if Pete was finished with his decision about this. Tarvaris is a better backup currently and that's hardly a question. Trevone might have a higher ceiling, but I'm thinking about this year.

It's a not a question, because nobody is asking it anymore, not because Tarvaris is better.

Like McGruff, I liked what TJ brought to this team years ago as a fill-in. But if he were a better backup--or even better than what is on the FA market now--smarter people than you and I who get paid to make the right decision about that would have proved it by signing him, no?

And if he were that good, how foolish of Pete and John to risk losing him by keeping Boykin around at all, and hoping TJ didn't get snapped up by needy teams like... the Vikes, or any team wanting a truly reliable backup.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":avm1bz17 said:
Siouxhawk":avm1bz17 said:
McGruff":avm1bz17 said:
You don't understand how the practice squad works.

A player does not go directly from the preseason roster to the practice squad. First, they must be released. After they have cleared waivers during which time any team in the NFL can claim him for a rookie minimum salary contract, they are eligible to sign to the practice squad.

once they are on the practice squad, another team may sign them, but ONLY to the regular 53 man roster. And no draft pick is needed to do so.

So yes, for Boykin to become eligible for the practice squad, we must first release him.
Yes McGruff, I was under the impression that the players we put on the practice squad would be protected to the extent that a team would at least have to put them on their 53. How do we accumulate conditional draft picks if it's not those players that we have poached from our practice squad that amount to picks?

Conditional draft pick come from trades made with other teams.

Compensatory draft picks come from free agency losses and gains. If you lose more qualifying free agents than you gain, you get picks. Practice Squad players do not qualify as free agents.

Practice squad is protected in that teams must put them on tehir 53 man roster, which means releasing a player that they have invested in. But that is the only thing keeping them from raiding practice squads.
Thank you. Isn't it a new rule that you can now trade compensatory picks?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I understand why the issue of compensatory picks was mentioned, I just hope that everyone here realizes that neither of these guys will bring in a compensatory pick for us.

Yes compensatory picks can be traded in the next draft.

If T-Jack is on the Seahawks radar at this point, he won't be signed until after the first game of the season. He is a vested veteran who, as far as I can tell, has never collected termination pay (it is possible that the same issue is effecting Gresham).

It is conceivable that the Vikings would be willing to risk being on the hook for a full year of salary given their situation, but I see them pursuing someone with more recent starting and playing experience like Kaepernick.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2deq5nqx said:
I understand why the issue of compensatory picks was mentioned, I just hope that everyone here realizes that neither of these guys will bring in a compensatory pick for us.

If T-Jack is on the Seahawks radar at this point, he won't be signed until after the first game of the season. He is a vested veteran who, as far as I can tell, has never collected termination pay (it is possible that the same issue is effecting Gresham).

It is conceivable that the Vikings would be willing to risk being on the hook for a full year of salary given their situation, but I see them pursuing someone with more recent starting and playing experience like Kaepernick.

Or the Sanchez rumors could pan out, too.

So, what I'm hearing is that Boykin has no reasonable real world value to anyone but us, at this point. I don't see anyone offering us picks...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2mzyzh8l said:
scutterhawk":2mzyzh8l said:
Siouxhawk":2mzyzh8l said:
As far as why no other team has signed T-Jack to this point, I'll admit I'm a bit puzzled. The guy has a .500 record in the league, has thrown more touchdowns than picks, has grown his QB rating in the years where he's been given ample amount of snaps and has been endorsed by Pete and John as their backup the last 3 years. Obviously the domestic assault charge scared some teams off, but he was cleared of those wrongdoings rather quickly by the law. It would be unjust for false accusations to deny him of employment. Like any of us, I don't know if there's things going on behind the scenes as this is a private matter. For all I know, he and his wife are undergoing counseling and he won't resume his career until that facet of his life is settled. Maybe Pete knows that too. Just speculating.

Even if this scenario with T-Jack doesn't play out, what are we looking for with Tavone? Two
or three years of development and then seek a trade? Career caddy to Russ as time would be on his side, unlike Tarvaris? How long would he settle for that role? What if the injuries this year would make for what could turn out to be the best option to trade him and we miss out?

Doesn't it also puzzle you that we have Heaps and not Jackson?
Hell, maybe we can trade Heaps for your 4th round, and Voila! :stirthepot: :stirthepot:
No, because Heaps won't be around next week. They'll either have Tavone as the backup on the 53 or they'll bring in Tarvaris as the backup and move Tavone to the PS. Only 2 options.
Jackson?, nope.
It's your contention that the Seahawks are playing a wait to see who blinks first with Jackson? :roll:
IF as Jackson has said, that he's hard up for money, he'd be jumping at the chance to be on any teams roster right now.
He's 33 Years old and not on anybody's hot sheet, even for a backup role.
I like what he HAD going on 3 Years ago, but like what was posted earlier?, "his ship has sailed".
To me, it is unrealistic to go backwards, ditch Boykin and go with an aging Jackson, quite simply because he's a veteran.
We need to make moves to bolster our backup to Wilson, and not go retro...There is NOT just two options, and if there were?, Jackson wouldn't be one of them.

dogorama

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1e4e3jnq said:

First question: How in hell did this thread get to 80 posts?

Second question: (answers the first question) Does Siouxhawk have some special powers that he can make people talk about T-Jack completely against their will? ad infinitum?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3a2czwfj said:

Bam! In my opinion, bigsky gets it. I could really see the Hawks bringing back T-Jack after the season starts, thus letting them off the hook for paying his guaranteed veteran contract.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":jlyi4dod said:
bigskydoc":jlyi4dod said:

Bam! In my opinion, bigsky gets it. I could really see the Hawks bringing back T-Jack after the season starts, thus letting them off the hook for paying his guaranteed veteran contract.

How strongly do you believe this? Like 80% chance they do this? I want to know how hard I should be laughing and/or crying.

McGruff

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3dm3mjof said:
bigskydoc":3dm3mjof said:

I have never seen anyone who hears what they want to hear more than you.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":va4emzss said:
Siouxhawk":va4emzss said:
bigskydoc":va4emzss said:

When you think of it, it makes a lot of sense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1nvqe6zd said:
bigskydoc":1nvqe6zd said:

LOLOLOL BAM!! LOL.....You're a dreamer.....Your Tarvaris Jackson Player Card is worthless....er, maybe you can find someone who'll trade a Chuckie Whitehurst for it eh?

mrt144

Reaction score
McGruff":3frpepb4 said:
Siouxhawk":3frpepb4 said:
bigskydoc":3frpepb4 said:

"Here's how this hypothetical scenario could work"
"See, my hypothetical is going to happen"

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":7j3eca60 said:
I don't understand why this thread is still going.
And ......... it isn't officially isn't anymore.
I was hoping we could get it away the T-Jack discussion since that WAS NOT what this thread was about, it was given a chance to get out of that rut, but kept on going back to that. This horse is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts