Could Drew Lock be the next Drew Brees?

toffee

Reaction score
This YouTuber argued that Lock's first three seasons had some.parallel with Drew Brees'.

Lock, however, hasn't display poised under pressure, a must for all great QBs.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Lock is a partly known quantity. He's likely a career back-up but we won't know until he earns an opportunity to start. There are a lot of big armed QBs that just don't work out in the NFL. He has some escape skills which will serve him well but he needs to be able to read defenses and adjust accordingly. That will take game experience and film study.

All we can do is hope that he is a perfect fit for this offense and he can move the chains. Pete want a balanced attack that will eat clock and score. So a game manager will do. But if Lock can hit the big play consistently he's al we can hope for.

I think we're in a position where we need to find out long term starter very soon. I think the Hawks will win just enough next season to be out of the running for the next QB stud so I'm hoping Lock can do it, (or Geno becomes the next Jim Plunkett).

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
So far in their careers, both Geno and Lock haven't displayed that extra gear when pressure is on, lots of TO under pressure.

BASF

Reaction score
The parallels are interesting, however, we do not have a QB reviver on our staff. Brees joining with Payton was a huge boon to Brees. Payton revived the careers of Kerry Collins, Testaverde and Bledsoe. He was also the only one ever that got anything decent out of Quincy Carter.

I am hopeful that Waldron has some things up his sleeve to help Lock and Smith become the best version of themselves, but only time will tell. With Brees you had history on his side that his coaching staff understood how to get the best out of him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Brees' first two full seasons with the Chargers were pretty rough, but his last two, although not sensational, were nevertheless very good as he had 51/22 TD/INT ratio, completed 65% of his passes, and threw for over 6700 yards. One can make the argument that Brees was a finished product before he and Sean Payton hooked up in the Big Easy.

On the other hand, Lock has not had any stretch in his time with the Broncos that is anywhere close to what Brees did in his final two seasons with the Chargers, with a career TD/INT ratio of 25/20 and a sub 60% completion percentage.

Better find another comparison.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This YouTuber argued that Lock's first three seasons had some.parallel with Drew Brees'.

Lock, however, hasn't display poised under pressure, a must for all great QBs.

We also have to understand that in any of these comparisons that the NFL was a much different place in 2001. It was a more hostile environment for QBs to thrive in. It was relatively rare for QB's to even break 4000 yards, only a few would do it each year. It was much harder to transition to the pro game as well. Defenses could also get away with a lot more. In this era it was the expectation that a QB took three years to develop and sitting a rookie was not uncommon.

Different eras, any similarities in numbers are just coincidental. These two players are different beings all together and they approach the game in completely different ways.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Brees' first two full seasons with the Chargers were pretty rough, but his last two, although not sensational, were nevertheless very good as he had 51/22 TD/INT ratio, completed 65% of his passes, and threw for over 6700 yards. One can make the argument that Brees was a finished product before he and Sean Payton hooked up in the Big Easy.

On the other hand, Lock has not had any stretch in his time with the Broncos that is anywhere close to what Brees did in his final two seasons with the Chargers, with a career TD/INT ratio of 25/20 and a sub 60% completion percentage.

Better find another comparison.
Perhaps Drew's two 'good years' could start this season?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The parallels are interesting, however, we do not have a QB reviver on our staff. Brees joining with Payton was a huge boon to Brees. Payton revived the careers of Kerry Collins, Testaverde and Bledsoe. He was also the only one ever that got anything decent out of Quincy Carter.

I am hopeful that Waldron has some things up his sleeve to help Lock and Smith become the best version of themselves, but only time will tell. With Brees you had history on his side that his coaching staff understood how to get the best out of him.
After one season, Waldron's relatively unknown as Russ gave him a no confidence shortly after he was hired, then just play Russ's ball. We had a short preview when Geno played.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Perhaps Drew's two 'good years' could start this season?
Yes, it certainly could. But that wasn't what the OP was about.

There are many more examples of QB's that have flopped with one team and never did anything in subsequent stops than there is QB's that failed with their original team then succeeded with their 2nd club.

Lock should be counting his blessings. Most quarterbacks that fail in their first starting job don't get a chance to compete for another.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Yes, it certainly could. But that wasn't what the OP was about.

There are many more examples of QB's that have flopped with one team and never did anything in subsequent stops than there is QB's that failed with their original team then succeeded with their 2nd club.

Lock should be counting his blessings. Most quarterbacks that fail in their first starting job don't get a chance to compete for another.
Based on Lock's presser, and on field demeaner, he looked as if lacking some cockiness. One could call it cockiness or poised under pressure, Lock need to somehow develop that. I would be happy to be totally wrong, of course, and probably am totally wrong.

Smellyman

Reaction score

Brees' first 3 seasons at SD were awful, 29 TDs and 31 INTs. His next two at SD was 27 and 7 and 24 and 15. He started to get better his last two seasons at SD before NO.

Lock had 3 OCs in 3 years and a covid season hurting his time on the field to prepare and then a curmudgeon for a coach. He will be coming into a Waldron system that makes it easy for QB to have gimme throws every where and it made Goff look good.

Those are the excuses and positives. That being said I have no idea if Lock is good and he could suck. Just not willing to write him off like so many are.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Brees' first 3 seasons at SD were awful, 29 TDs and 31 INTs. His next two at SD was 27 and 7 and 24 and 15. He started to get better his last two seasons at SD before NO.

Lock had 3 OCs in 3 years and a covid season hurting his time on the field to prepare and then a curmudgeon for a coach. He will be coming into a Waldron system that makes it easy for QB to have gimme throws every where and it made Goff look good.

Those are the excuses and positives. That being said I have no idea if Lock is good and he could suck. Just not willing to write him off like so many are.
For this season, I am hoping that he will become good enough. Bree's first 3 seasons were no better than Lock's first 3, this could be the year he turn a corner.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Well, I'm certainly not writing him off. I do think that he'll get a fair chance to win the job here, that knowing what Geno can and can't do, and barring an unexpected entrance from Mayfield or Jimmy G, they'll give Lock a good look-see. I just don't think, based on past histories of failed QB's, that anyone should hold their breath.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I feel very optimistic about both Drew and Geno. They are very similar...gifted, smart athletes, that may be lacking in self-confidence because of events that happened during their career paths. The skills and athleticism are there for both of them...if one of them can win the mental game, we are in for a winning season!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Well, I'm certainly not writing him off... I just don't think, based on past histories of failed QB's, that anyone should hold their breath.

(Definitions are funny things, but...) ...this seems like a contradiction to me. If you're not writing him off, then you're holding your breath hoping he could work out.

Or you're just trying to cover your own backside by not taking a firm position. Understandable in a world where having convictions and beliefs makes you a target.

RiverDog

Reaction score
(Definitions are funny things, but...) ...this seems like a contradiction to me. If you're not writing him off, then you're holding your breath hoping he could work out.

Or you're just trying to cover your own backside by not taking a firm position. Understandable in a world where having convictions and beliefs makes you a target.
All I'm doing is assessing the different possible outcomes. I have not seen Drew Lock play in a live football game. I'm basing my opinion of his odds of success on is his statistical record and that of past QB's in a similar predicament.

I'm always hopeful that any player of ours will work out. I'm a Seahawk fan. But I'm also a realist. It's not a contradiction, it's two different POV's that comes from different sides of our brains, the emotional, subjective part vs. the more analytical side.

GemCity

Reaction score
He sure could! Right after LJ turns into Bosa and just before Cinderella turns into a princess.