Confident Cody Barton Emerging as Starter

Jville

Reaction score

Confident Cody Barton 'Turned the Corner,' Emerging as Viable Starter For Seahawks >>> https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/cody-barton-confident-viable-starter-seattle-seahawks

I think Cody Barton's development was delayed/stunted while stuck behind the great Bobby Wagner. He's growing and developing now that he is getting game day snaps. It's really heart warming to see patience paying off. I've enjoyed his journey this year. My condolences to those who have missed out.

“I think he has turned the corner in terms of confidence and what he is seeing," Carroll said of Barton on Monday. "He is showing his commitment to downhill play, his aggressive tackling, his hitting and fitting, and is just doing stuff across the board. He just looks the most confident he has been. It helps everybody play faster when you feel like that and he’s doing that."

Good times ahead.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm willing to not bury the man yet. He's just turned 26 and the article illustrates proof, at least statistically, that he (not unlike Brooks) is starting to overcome the unfamiliarity of a new scheme (i.e. think less, react more). Keep pounding, bud.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm willing to not bury the man yet. He's just turned 26 and the article illustrates proof, at least statistically, that he (not unlike Brooks) is starting to overcome the unfamiliarity of a new scheme (i.e. think less, react more). Keep pounding, bud.

Don't disagree. It explains why they aren't scrapping the system and rather allowing the guys they have to figure it out. It also explains the frustration on the part of the DC and staff / HC.

They've got who they've got. They either stick to it and get as tight as they can get it with what they've got, or they go with something else to tailor their approach to underperforming or slow to learn players.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Barton's been pretty good for a little over a month. So it's not entirely clear why he, of all people, remains the scapegoat for our defensive woes.
To me it has appeared he is often out of position or fails to make the tackle when it’s on him. That said he has looked to be improving lately after he had his minutes reduced.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I've been watching Cody since his days at the U. Like most, I reserve a special spot for kids who played at local schools (Utah, Utah St., BYU). I've talked to his sister who was an All American outside hitter @ Utah, really neat family.

Point being, I'm skewed to see the half full side of Cody Barton. The problem is, I just don't. I've seen some isolated big plays (huge T for loss in week 1, a couple of pics) but he just seems to lack situational awareness on the development of plays. When he happens to be in the right spot, he appears to lack the physical strength to disrupt the play enough to ensure a positive outcome. I haven't seen a starting LB perform so consistently poor in a long time.

Obviously as a fan, as long as Cody puts on a Hawk uniform, I'm going to root like hell for him. I guess I agree with @Aros when he says he's not ready to bury him yet. Hopefully he is salvageable up to being average, but even with vast improvement, his ceiling is (maybe) mid pack. I have a feeling the draft board will have some room for the LB position this off season. I would be perfectly happy with Edge, DT, C, LB in the first two rounds.

Donn2390

Reaction score
By the end of the season, or hopefully sooner, we will know if you guys are right, or if, once again, the coach is smarter than the fans. It's been known to happen before, don't fire Pete yet....

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He MAY not be a star, but he isn't JAG either.
As with any Defense, the players have to meld with each other while simultaneously learning a new system On the Fly....Bound to be some hiccups in what seems to be an ever-evolving (sometimes devolving) system.
I don't care WHO the DC is, if you don't have the right Personnel at your disposal to run your system, you have to simplify the system to fit the horses that you do have.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Point being, I'm skewed to see the half full side of Cody Barton. The problem is, I just don't. I've seen some isolated big plays (huge T for loss in week 1, a couple of pics) but he just seems to lack situational awareness on the development of plays. When he happens to be in the right spot, he appears to lack the physical strength to disrupt the play enough to ensure a positive outcome. I haven't seen a starting LB perform so consistently poor in a long time.
I'm in this camp. I'll add that in coverage, he lack quickness. He is always a step or 2 behind crossing receivers and losing ground.

I still think we draft a LB in the 1st 2 rounds and Pete will let the competition decide.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The hate for Cody Barton can be traced to his snap counts. When the team was winning and not awful on defense he was not playing. When the team started to look awful on defense it was directly proportional to his increased snap counts. Whatever they were doing with him off the field was better than what they were doing with him on the field.

chrispy

Reaction score
He's not getting benched this season....

... and the beauty of PC's mantra is that he'll have to compete for his job for '23 regardless. There has to be some new blood added to the LB room in the offseason and it'll play out however it plays out.

Assuming the DLine gets some help too, ILBs should automatically look better. Whether it's CBarton or someone else, I'm excited to see this position improve. It's one of those areas that kind of looks like we all expected it to look 3 months ago, but in comparison to all the other surprises, it sticks out. I think the offseason will add depth and speed.

Rainger

Reaction score
Don't think he was BW's main back up, Thought Brooks was more Wagner sub than Barton. Thought Barton was more filling in on KJ plays. Could be wrong. Mind getting foggy with age and alcohol.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
The hate for Cody Barton can be traced to his snap counts. When the team was winning and not awful on defense he was not playing. When the team started to look awful on defense it was directly proportional to his increased snap counts. Whatever they were doing with him off the field was better than what they were doing with him on the field.

You make an understandable connection. Indeed, the misuse of player pages is a constant theme of the forum. It generates an enormous volume of noise.

I think there are severe limitations as to what player pages can tell us or provide in the way useful inferences. They are after all nothing more than the count of various outcome categories. Such data sets are useful to analysts and designers of plug and play digital and fantasy games.

Which is why team practitioners continue to collect and analyze outcomes and outcome circumstances independent of the entertainment industry and social media. In fact, the Seahawks added two additional data analysts to their staff early on this season.

Misuse of data is something of a 21st century plague.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good? Hmmm, guess it's all a matter of opinion. He's average and plays well from time to time. I really hope they upgrade at LB next year.
He misses SO many assignments and tackles.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
This is year 1 of the Clint Hurtt era.

The linebacker corp is still a work in progress. The Barton and Brooks tandem is coming around. Taylor and Mafe are transitioning to linebacker. Robinson and Johnson are two edge rushers on injured reserve who must rehab prior to getting field work for linebacker transition. This week, it's rumored that Jon Rhattigan may be activated shortly. Lots of moving parts and combinations in play. It's a process.

(As a side note. I am reminded that there is considerable variation among us in what our eyes see and what our brain sees and misses. Understandably differences in opinion follow.)