Commitment to run ... a thought

byau

Reaction score
While our run game stunk it up stat-wise, here's a thought I've been mulling for a few days:

First think we need to agree: I would say we did commit to the run up until the last drive or two. We were still trying to run the ball, and Houston kept stopping us

Second, from the first point, seems to me: Can we assume that Houston was committed to stopping the run and were chomping at the bit to make sure we didn't get our run game going

A few thoughts: so even if we weren't getting the numbers, it was still something that the Texans still planned for and were still playing against.

* Is this why they bit on the read option/play option every time down the stretch?
* Even if it was "obvious" we wouldn't, they didn't want to give anything up and still played as if we may do it?
* Definitely will tire out those linemen at the end of the game having to chase around a sideways runner and sideways running QB. Give Russell an easier time to evade the pass rush out of the pocket?
* And finally, at least it gives Russell a spell of not getting hit as often if we at least continued to try to run the ball.

Did that commitment help make our passing game more effective even without the numbers?

Sure we all still want better numbers in the running game .. you know even a 1.5 to 2 yards per carry type rush minimum. Even still, if these are benefits of committing to a horrid run game, it's not bad. The fact we committed to the run game longer than we usually do and Russell had a stellar passing day ... hmmmm

Thoughts? Not necessarily a bad read on things? Or reaching way way way too far?

Anthony!

Reaction score
byau":gc9y2z3c said:
While our run game stunk it up stat-wise, here's a thought I've been mulling for a few days:

First think we need to agree: I would say we did commit to the run up until the last drive or two. We were still trying to run the ball, and Houston kept stopping us

Second, from the first point, seems to me: Can we assume that Houston was committed to stopping the run and were chomping at the bit to make sure we didn't get our run game going

A few thoughts: so even if we weren't getting the numbers, it was still something that the Texans still planned for and were still playing against.

* Is this why they bit on the read option/play option every time down the stretch?
* Even if it was "obvious" we wouldn't, they didn't want to give anything up and still played as if we may do it?
* Definitely will tire out those linemen at the end of the game having to chase around a sideways runner and sideways running QB. Give Russell an easier time to evade the pass rush out of the pocket?
* And finally, at least it gives Russell a spell of not getting hit as often if we at least continued to try to run the ball.

Did that commitment help make our passing game more effective even without the numbers?

Sure we all still want better numbers in the running game .. you know even a 1.5 to 2 yards per carry type rush minimum. Even still, if these are benefits of committing to a horrid run game, it's not bad. The fact we committed to the run game longer than we usually do and Russell had a stellar passing day ... hmmmm

Thoughts? Not necessarily a bad read on things? Or reaching way way way too far?

I get what you are saying, but I don't think they committed to stopping the run, we have not been able to run pretty much all year. OS why would they commit to stopping something that we really cant do. That said while I don't think we should change what we are now doing, meaning passing more, I do still think we need to sprinkle in some runs, and if it eventually starts working we can always do more, but we are now a pass first team and shold stay that way.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
IMO we need to pick either Rawls or Lacy and fun them. These are guys that need to get into the flow. Get a work load going. This RBBC stuff is doing them no favors....

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Anthony!":2xf2y5ym said:

I get what you are saying, but I don't think they committed to stopping the run, we have not been able to run pretty much all year. OS why would they commit to stopping something that we really cant do. That said while I don't think we should change what we are now doing, meaning passing more, I do still think we need to sprinkle in some runs, and if it eventually starts working we can always do more, but we are now a pass first team and shold stay that way.

Pass-first offense, meaning at least half the plays are passing? Yes I'd agree. But I don't know if i'd want it to go over say 60/40. Definitely situational , like we needed the last two drives to be passes this past Sunday

But the point was, even if we did not get the numbers, I was happy to see we didn't abandon the run completely, and even if we didn't get the numbers, I think not abandoning it completely helped our passing game still

Wasn't just Raibs and Warren that were thinking "Why are they still going for the read/play option? We're not going to run it" . I can only think that they still thought we may run it, and that's because even without the numbers we were still running it and not giving up on it.

Definitely can say passing is where we are getting our yards and scores, but as far as pass-first I'd want us to still run

Don't have the numbers in front of me, be curious what the rush/pass breakdown was though. Wouldn't be surprised if it stayed at a 60/40 or closer margin

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
To me it looked like they made stopping the run a primary focus and they did a fantastic job of it, not that we have much to challenge them in that regard. The mindset for any defense is to stop the run first and make your QB one dimensional.

Ooops. They forgot Russell Wilson is our QB.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
byau":txo8cemw said:
Don't have the numbers in front of me, be curious what the rush/pass breakdown was though. Wouldn't be surprised if it stayed at a 60/40 or closer margin

I AM WAY OFF

https://wtop.com/sports/2017/10/texans-seahawks-stats/

Rushes: 21 for 33 yards (blah)
Passes: 26 of 41 for 446 yards (yay!!)

Run %: 34%
Pass %: 66%

And

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

Pass Play Percentage

Seahawks:
2017: 59.52%
Last 3 games: 61.69%
Last 1 game: 67%

ahahahah the eye test fails me, need a new prescription I guess :) (or else the last few drives totally skewed the percentages...)

Latest posts