Cody Barton?

getnasty

Reaction score
Thoughts on him? I feel like the last couple of games of the year when he filled for Bobby cemented his spot this year but i've always been skeptical of him for some reason. Sell me on Cody Barton, or don't.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Demarcus Cousins Sport GIF

sdog1981

Reaction score
He and Brooks are going to be the two starting middle linebackers at this point. I have a strong belief that one of the first 3 picks will be a middle linebacker.

toffee

Reaction score
Cody (59.7 PFF) and Jordnyn Brooks (58.4 PFF) are enjoying the samilar PFF grades in 2021, Cody was a bit higher in 2020. I felt like Cody has improved SLOWLY over the past 3 seasons, he might just be serviceable in 2022. I don't felt like Cody has future pro-bowl appearances in him, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

As teams don't have stars at every position, guys like Cody, being cheap and serviceable, has a role.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
We've been spoiled with Bobby and KJ. Brooks my have a higher upside than Barton, but the two finished last season with some consistently good play.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Not the worst case but… if you can get him true competition in the draft you do it. I still have visions of Ito Smith spinning him around and using him as a blocker

Smellyman

Reaction score
obviously not the shear stopping power of Bobby, but he can cover which was sorely lacking in Bobby's game these days and much needed out of Linebackers

Spohawks

Reaction score
I have been rooting for Cody from the start but the problem is Wags has been the comparison and thats going to make anyone look unpolished.

He is the Aaron Rogers of LBs, sits behind a legend but once he gets his shot, he will shine.

Give him a full year as a starter, dice in a couple of INTs and a few sacks and he will get some Pro Bowl votes!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'd like to be wrong on him and maybe he will shine in
the new defense.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I watched him closely the last few games of last season and based on the eye test alone I thought he was ready to step up. My gut was he was just a decent special teamer but he really shone IMHO.

I think his play was of such sufficient quality the FO felt they could release BWagz. I don't doubt they will draft at that position, if for no other reason it's a deep draft at LB, but I think the FO have full faith in Brooks and Barton.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am kind of in the JAG territory when it comes to Barton. He clocks in, does his job but I don't see him as a pro bowler/all pro type. Just someone who comes to work and does a decent job. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jville

Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Barton once he got the opportunity to play in the last two 2021 games.

When I think about defensive play making, I think about dynamic duels that play off of each other. Wagner and Wright. Chancellor and Thomas. Avril and Bennett. Dynamic duels at each level of the defense.

I'm looking for ..... dynamic tandems. Perhaps Brooks and Barton will emerge as a dynamic dual.

toffee

Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Barton once he got the opportunity to play in the last two 2021 games.

When I think about defensive play making, I think about dynamic duels that play off of each other. Wagner and Wright. Chancellor and Thomas. Avril and Bennett. Dynamic duels at each level of the defense.

I'm looking for ..... dynamic tandems. Perhaps Brooks and Barton will emerge as a dynamic dual.
Barton and BKK both looked great in preseason too, dominating. Got to wonder if Barton and Brooks will be the two middle LB under the new 3-4?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I like him he’s great in the inside 2 with Jordyn if we play a hybrid 4-4, 3-4 or 5-2

Jville

Reaction score
Barton and BKK both looked great in preseason too, dominating. Got to wonder if Barton and Brooks will be the two middle LB under the new 3-4?

I'm certainly anticipating that Barton and Brooks can pick up where they left off last year ..... as are many others.

The BBK injury was unfortunate. Prior to his injury, a starting DB identified him as playing and being as fast as anyone on the defensive roster. In his first preseason, he looked the part of a coverage nickle linebacker. At one time I had thoughts that he could see some time in long passing situations once Bobby Wagner's speed and range began to decline. That ended with BBK's injury. And of course Wagner Norton's defense are long gone. But, this year's linebacker competition is a clean sheet competition. The staff is not compelled to build around any incumbent. Instead, we are going to be treated to a wide open competition. A competition in which the best combination of players and player chemistry prevails.

Looking forward to this year's team building process with renewed enthusiasm.

sutz

Reaction score
We've been kind of sitting on Barton, Brooks, and BBK for a couple of years while the KJ and Wags situations worked themselves out. Time for the young guys to step up and play. I think we have a lot of hidden talent there.

toffee

Reaction score
I'm certainly anticipating that Barton and Brooks can pick up where they left off last year ..... as are many others.

The BBK injury was unfortunate. Prior to his injury, a starting DB identified him as playing and being as fast as anyone on the defensive roster. In his first preseason, he looked the part of a coverage nickle linebacker. At one time I had thoughts that he could see some time in long passing situations once Bobby Wagner's speed and range began to decline. That ended with BBK's injury. And of course Wagner Norton's defense are long gone. But, this year's linebacker competition is a clean sheet competition. The staff is not compelled to build around any incumbent. Instead, we are going to be treated to a wide open competition. A competition in which the best combination of players and player chemistry prevails.

Looking forward to this year's team building process with renewed enthusiasm.
Sounded like if we had BKK and Jamal on the field, they could actually confuse offense by doing an on field swap of roles with Jamal charging forward and BKK stepping back?

Last edited: