Chip Kelly OC talk again

RiverDog

Reaction score
All I can say is that this had better not be the same Chip Kelly who was a disaster in Philly with his Quack Attack offense. There has to be better candidates out there than him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me it’s more important for the team to make the right choice rather than the speed at which the choice is made.

As far as Chip Kelly is concerned, my initial thoughts are: no thanks. However, lobjectively today’s Chip is changed from old Chip who ran his high speed run and shoot variant. Still to me it doesn’t feel good, but JS and Mac have the vision of what they want to do.

I’m ambivalent even if he is a good coach.

Atradees

Reaction score
There is a reason Pac 12 offenses dont win college championships. IDK He could just toxic up what we are tryin to build. I want some kind of QB whisperer.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
I'm cool with Kelly. It sounds like an embarrassing and humorously bad hire on the face of things, but Chip's offense ain't the "HAHA, GO REALLY FAST! HAHA! GO GO GO!" type thang anymore. UCLA can pound the rock.

He's proven to have adapted. I'd be on board.

Less likely to be hired away if our offense takes off being a retread and all too
This is an underrated point. This team is going to take three years to pull together (including getting a young QB up to speed). If we get a young hotshot OC that shows success, there's risk of losing him and starting over. Nobody is coming after Kelly for HC.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

The misdirection menu

Defending the UCLA offense creates many challenges. From a defensive standpoint, most of the onus is on second-level defenders (linebackers) who are getting misdirection thrown at them on every play. It produces what coaches call “dirty eyes,” challenging the eye discipline of defenders. Defenders are usually taught to read pre-snap keys. On each play, Kelly throws as many distractions as possible at them, both before and after the snap.

Mainly, this eye candy is produced in two forms: misdirection at the first level and misdirection in the backfield. First-level misdirection consists of false keys at the line of scrimmage like pulling linemen going in opposite directions from the play call. Misdirection in the backfield can be elements like pre-snap or post-snap motion from skill players. And when you watch defenses play against UCLA, you’ll see a good amount of “misfit” linebackers not playing with gap integrity or discipline. There are several examples of this below.

Essentially, the Bruins’ misdirection run menu consists of four staples:

• Boundary zone read concept
  • Zone bluff (cruise) concept
  • Counter read (bash) concepts
  • Same side runs

Here's an article from The Athletic regarding Chip Kelly's UCLA offense, which is a run-first misdirection and option-based offense. He ran it to great effect around the talent of DTR and Zach Charbonnet. Its built around exploiting spacing, matchups, and a lack of defensive gap/edge discipline.

For those of you who like smart run offense with tight, well-executed concepts - it's a thing of beauty. Pulling linemen going all over, RB dicing through cleanly-made holes. Mmm.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's not all good, however.

They've struggled a bit on offense without talent like DTR and Charbonnet to lean on.

I think Chip's looking to escape because he doesn't want to deal with talent acquisition and NIL stuff. I don't think he can attract a premier team to UCLA.

Chip Kelly with a pass game coordinator to build out the intermediate and deep passing concepts sounds like a really nice option to me. You get a diverse run game, you get a coach known for getting the detail-oriented portion of the offense hammered down, and you get a guy with loads and loads of experience calling games.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Chip has adapted since his early days. I thought he was a disaster in Philly but he had two years of his offense being rated pretty damn good before the wheels fell off. Maybe he's just not cut out to be a head coach but he's still a very good offensive mind? He did have more success than I remember though when I went back and looked at it.

He isn't my first choice but I don't hate it either. His personality sort of rubbed me wrong in the past but he's also not leading the team so its not a massive point. I don't know that he is known to develop QB's and that worries me a little too.

Yeah Maelstrom nailed it, College football is turning into a mess for coaches, I think a lot of them would leave for the NFL even in lesser roles so they don't have to deal with the bullshit.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect with the conference change and the transfer portal as observed above Kelly wants out. I’d also think he’d be an OC here not for long if he was successful as it appears he wants back in as a HC in the NFL.

At least he has experience as a HC in the league.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I suspect with the conference change and the transfer portal as observed above Kelly wants out. I’d also think he’d be an OC here not for long if he was successful as it appears he wants back in as a HC in the NFL.

At least he has experience as a HC in the league.

Nothing wrong with getting HC failures for coordinators positions IMO. Some guys just are better coordinators than HCs.

And a guy like Kelly with 2 failures on his card would take several years of excellence to get another HC chance.

HawkFreak

Reaction score

Here's an article from The Athletic regarding Chip Kelly's UCLA offense, which is a run-first misdirection and option-based offense. He ran it to great effect around the talent of DTR and Zach Charbonnet. Its built around exploiting spacing, matchups, and a lack of defensive gap/edge discipline.

For those of you who like smart run offense with tight, well-executed concepts - it's a thing of beauty. Pulling linemen going all over, RB dicing through cleanly-made holes. Mmm.
Is this kind of scheming / offense similar in vision and ideology to the concepts that Shanahan and the 9ers run?

CactusJack

Reaction score
All I can say is that this had better not be the same Chip Kelly who was a disaster in Philly with his Quack Attack offense. There has to be better candidates out there than him.
I'm not sure there are any better candidates currently.

Chip has evolved as a coach. It's not the same Oregon/Philly offense. I think there are potentially a ton of positives with this move.

He's a better OC than HC in my mind. The guy has a ton of experience. He wants no part of the current college landscape. That's why he's interviewing for this job. He also has coached guys like Charbonnet & Bobo.

He's not going to get another HC opportunity in the NFL. At least not right away.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I’m actually good with Kelly. He had a couple of really good offensive years in Philly with less talent. His head coaching stuff I don’t care about. He’s a smart dude.
This is what I wanted to hear. I thought his time in Philadelphia was a complete disaster.

bigcc

Reaction score
There is a reason Pac 12 offenses dont win college championships. IDK He could just toxic up what we are tryin to build. I want some kind of QB whisperer.

LOL, pac 12 offenses dont win championships because they have pac 12 defenses.

That being said I agree with you, I'm really not a fan of him having input on our qb of the future.

Find a qb guru, let him have a loud voice on who that qb should be... Not 60 year old Kelly.

Latest posts