Can't shake this loss

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I hate losing to that Dbag team but as far as perspective goes? Come on. We will clinch HFA in the next two weeks.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2pyejulu said:
Usually I am able to kinda get over a loss to extent where people can actually talk to me and I don't blow a gasket. However, after today's game, I just cannot get over the fact that we lost this game and have just a terrible feeling that this this, along with KJ going down is gonna lead to a very tough stretch for our Hawks. I mean, although they lost today, the Giants and Rams have been playing pretty well of late and the Cards are a playoff caliber team. Many of you did not think that a loss today would hurt us too much, the way I looked at it, is that this was a must win and now things look a lot tougher for us. Uh, I hate losing!

Up to you what you wanna focus on.

For myself, I don't doubt in the least that we still win the division and end up being the #1 seed.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
OP...one thing you can be sure of.....Russell Wilson is going to be up early tomorrow morning studying film on how to beat the Giants!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2zmghdkv said:
Usually I am able to kinda get over a loss to extent where people can actually talk to me and I don't blow a gasket. However, after today's game, I just cannot get over the fact that we lost this game and have just a terrible feeling that this this, along with KJ going down is gonna lead to a very tough stretch for our Hawks. I mean, although they lost today, the Giants and Rams have been playing pretty well of late and the Cards are a playoff caliber team. Many of you did not think that a loss today would hurt us too much, the way I looked at it, is that this was a must win and now things look a lot tougher for us. Uh, I hate losing!
Yeah, the Giants and Rams are playing so well that they get blown out by the Cardinals and Chargers respectively. Step back from the ledge and think about these two words
..Cardinals and Chargers enough said.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Dont forget it was a short week and then a road game against rivals who knew this was their superbowl.

We were in that game all the way and if I was a niner I wouldnt be celebrating too much. It was hardly an impressive victory. They had to be at their best to beat us near our worst. That wont happen at the Clink.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Blitzer, I love ya, but sometimes it takes more than 3 hours to shake a loss. Trust me, by Wednesday you'll be fine. GO HAWKS!!!

TwilightError

Reaction score
The loss of K.J. is a bad one but losing this game just means we have to play hard until the final whistle of the last game and that can be a good thing for the playoffs. Not too worried.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
Losing is NEVER fun but you HAVE to admit. We've been spoiled this year. REALLY spoiled. I needed this personally to come back down to earth. Others will take it differently but Russ will always be my hero

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I can't shake this one either, it just feels portentous, like the Detroit or Miami games that others have mentioned and how they foretold our eventual exit from the playoffs last year.

A lot of people seem to be taking solace in the fact that we only lost by two, but I genuinely don't understand that. We lost. The sentence stops there. In the playoffs, when your season is on the line every week, close losers don't advance, they go home the same as big losers, so two points or two hundred points in irrelevant.

What I think is most relevant here is that for all of their talk of treating each week like a championship opportunity, this week, the week they finally had a genuine championship opportunity, they absolutely crumbled.

This incompetence in the face of glory paint a damn grim picture for the playoffs, reminiscent of the 2001 Mariners or 2007 Patriots.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1p3l7jr2 said:
I can't shake this one either, it just feels portentous, like the Detroit or Miami games that others have mentioned and how they foretold our eventual exit from the playoffs last year.

A lot of people seem to be taking solace in the fact that we only lost by two, but I genuinely don't understand that. We lost. The sentence stops there. In the playoffs, when your season is on the line every week, close losers don't advance, they go home the same as big losers, so two points or two hundred points in irrelevant.

What I think is most relevant here is that for all of their talk of treating each week like a championship opportunity, this week, the week they finally had a genuine championship opportunity, they absolutely crumbled.

This incompetence in the face of glory paint a damn grim picture for the playoffs, reminiscent of the 2001 Mariners or 2007 Patriots.

...so basically "a championship team wins this game." Which is true of every week. And given the lack of undefeated teams, every single team in the NFL is doomed.

Wait, I'm not sure what we're left with now.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2uas8pvz said:
WindCityHawk":2uas8pvz said:

...so basically "a championship team wins this game." Which is true of every week. And given the lack of undefeated teams, every single team in the NFL is doomed.

I'm say a championship team reaches out and takes the prize. It's easy to talk about having a "championship week" when you're facing the Jaguars, but when the real thing came along, the we couldn't walk the walk.

In the playoffs, our record doesn't mean jack and we don't get to play the Jags or Texans. And just like last year when we pointed to the Miami/Detroit games and said, "We should have seen this (Atlanta) coming," it feels like this is a game we could point to in January and say, "Why do we fall short when it matters?"

Having listened to all the press conference now it seems like the team is eager to own this and learn from it, and if anyone can do it, it's Wilson. Maybe they just need a full week to right the ship, because they had four quarters to do it in San Francisco and never did.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Championship teams win the Super Bowl... that's it. There are ZERO other characteristics.

If you make the playoffs, have a home field advantage like we do and get that HF, you're going to have a great shot.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawk4lyfe":1o82dehb said:
SeeHawkRun":1o82dehb said:
Interestingly, I have sorta the opposite feeling. I'm usually very bummed after a Hawks loss, but I was much more calm than expected heading into this week.

Honestly, a 2-point loss on the road against a good playoff team doesn't worry me. Any team in the NFC would still trade places with the Hawks today. We're in great position to secure homefield. In three weeks this loss will be nothing but a blip on the radar of a super-bowl season.

I agree with ya. SF is a good team, esp at home. I was never one of the fans that expected a blowout. Would have been a nice surprise, but not expected. They needed this game more, and it showed on the field. They seemed to make the plays when they needed. We only need to win home games to get to the SB, I'm not that worried. Although losing wright is a bummer. Next man up as they say.

Sums my thoughts up exactly. I expected a close loss, followed closely by a close win. We beat the Saints, who just tore up the flavor of the month Panthers. The Niners are still two games behind us. We win two, we win the division and home field. We win one and the Niners lose one, and we still win the division.

All this loss means is that the last 3 games aren't meaningless. So what ? Welcome to the NFL. It's very rare for teams to have everything locked up week 14. I find it tremendously ironic: we go from a team on the verge of a lengthy rebuild to a team where it's fans are pissed because we can't rest our starters the last quarter of a season in the space of 3 years.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SeeHawkRun":3hufpgcw said:
Interestingly, I have sorta the opposite feeling. I'm usually very bummed after a Hawks loss, but I was much more calm than expected heading into this week.

Honestly, a 2-point loss on the road against a good playoff team doesn't worry me. Any team in the NFC would still trade places with the Hawks today. We're in great position to secure homefield. In three weeks this loss will be nothing but a blip on the radar of a super-bowl season.

:13:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Okay, so THIS game was portentous, but none of our others this season have been? The gritty comebacks? The high-scoring blowouts? It's just THIS one?

In 2006, the Colts lost 3 of their last 5 games, and allowed 375 rushing to a middling Jaguars team. The word was that the book was out on the Colts. They couldn't defend the run, and that would be the dagger in their postseason hopes, especially since the AFC playoffs looked daunting with guys like Jamal Lewis and Larry Johnson looming.

I'll let you all look up how those Colts did.

Yes, that's anecdotal evidence, but the fact remains that we're 11-2 and we've gotten to that record a variety of ways. We've had some struggles due to injury, but pulled games out late. We've blown some teams out. We've lost a couple of close games. What you take from that is up to you, I guess.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
All the other games just told us what we already knew: that we could make it to the dance. We made it to the dance last year, we expected to do it this year. But when "the Stanley Cup was in the building" so to speak, when the boxes of Division Champ shirts were waiting to be opened and the champagne was on ice, they responded with their worst game of the season. From where I'm sitting, that's a troubling twist.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3oo6wcm8 said:
MidwestHawker":3oo6wcm8 said:
WindCityHawk":3oo6wcm8 said:

I'm say a championship team reaches out and takes the prize. It's easy to talk about having a "championship week" when you're facing the Jaguars, but when the real thing came along, the we couldn't walk the walk.

In the playoffs, our record doesn't mean jack and we don't get to play the Jags or Texans. And just like last year when we pointed to the Miami/Detroit games and said, "We should have seen this (Atlanta) coming," it feels like this is a game we could point to in January and say, "Why do we fall short when it matters?"

Having listened to all the press conference now it seems like the team is eager to own this and learn from it, and if anyone can do it, it's Wilson. Maybe they just need a full week to right the ship, because they had four quarters to do it in San Francisco and never did.

Youre talking like we got blown out, we lost a coin flip on the road on a short week to a team for whom this was their ultimate must win game. A bit of perspective is required.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3nmgoib7 said:
All the other games just told us what we already knew: that we could make it to the dance. We made it to the dance last year, we expected to do it this year. But when "the Stanley Cup was in the building" so to speak, when the boxes of Division Champ shirts were waiting to be opened and the champagne was on ice, they responded with their worst game of the season. From where I'm sitting, that's a troubling twist.

Has the rest of the NFL not had losses that were equally portentous if not more so?

Because if there's secretly some team out there that hasn't had a game that makes them look like they're beneath championship caliber, I genuinely will join you in worrying about this.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If we had won this game then took care of the giants next week we wouldn't play another meaningful game for a month.

I'm not saying losing is ever good. But its not the end of the world to keep having something to play for just like most other teams do.

Ninerg

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":ao21el10 said:
Dont forget it was a short week and then a road game against rivals who knew this was their superbowl.

We were in that game all the way and if I was a niner I wouldnt be celebrating too much. It was hardly an impressive victory. They had to be at their best to beat us near our worst. That wont happen at the Clink.

No, its was not the Niners SB, remember Colin Kaepernick and the Niners played in the SB last year, so we know what playing in the SB is like. Playing Seattle at Candlestick is not playing the Superbowl.