Brian Schottenheimer

toffee

Reaction score
One must question Pete's logic in even considering Brian Schottenheimer in spite of his super uninspiring record.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lol. We're not doing anything with ToP. Worthless freaking stat, and you know I despise it. :lol:

PPG. Seahawks finished this season with 22.9 PPG, #1 in the league was a blistering 29.9 PPG by the Rams, and 5th place was 26.1 PPG by Jax, to give some perspective. What PPG number do we need to hit for you to be satisfied?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3r3sva59 said:
Lol. We're not doing anything with ToP. Worthless freaking stat, and you know I despise it. :lol:

PPG. Seahawks finished this season with 22.9 PPG, #1 in the league was a blistering 29.9 PPG by the Rams, and 5th place was 26.1 PPG by Jax, to give some perspective. What PPG number do we need to hit for you to be satisfied?

Yeah TOP is a wasted stat and has no relevance to the Seahawks during the PC era. You would think it would given the "taking care of the ball, run game, great defense" but the stats just don't show it. Lack of scoring in the first half (watch recent playoff games) and multiple 3 and outs, not flipping the field, yeah problem. Top that with poor STs coverage, penalties, poor punting and missed FGs I am surprise we won 9 games this season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yards spread around to our RB's isn't bad, may not have a pro bowler but a group of guys with 925, 875, 450, and then throw in 300, 560, 450 yards in receiving and it doesn't make top ten lists in the NFL by player but all of a sudden the productivity and points scored start jumping up the boards , now throw in a much more used TE as a receiver and it really can open up. Receivers being used in the middle of the field and well as deep patterns, what a concept.

IF and big IF Pete lets him be the OC and isn't micromanaging him and we get a Oline guy that understands the Air Coryell concepts and can teach pass and run blocking in it.

Oh and also the FB position, I know many don't know what they are but they are the lead back in a I formation that was successful with Reece and Rawls in 2015. If Schotty can really run his offense we will see that used a lot more also.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Honestly not impressed, having been upset about our offense for so long it’s only natural to expect someone flashy cool young schemer who can draw up meaningful plays to score more than your opponents. I don’t even know if it’s confirmed yet on his hire but either way I am just hoping Pete knows more than all of us do.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Are these the same sources that said Tom Cable was taking over as OC. We don't know for sure if this is going to happen. If he is there guy well then all I can say is we'll see how it plays out on the surface it doesn't look like an upgrade that's for sure. That's really been the problem in Seattle the last couple years . The FO is replacing people weather it's coaches or players with lesser talent a trend that has to stop at some point or were looking at a complete rebuilding of the franchise in two years.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hawkfish":2rpy5q2p said:
I enjoy Aaron Levine's commentaries on the Hawks on Q It Up Sports segments. I think he is spot on with the hiring of the OC. Give it a watch.

http://q13fox.com/2018/01/14/commentary ... mage-will/

Levine and I don't see eye to eye about Bevell ... but the rest of the article -- totally spot on IMO. Great points. Love this ...

And it seems the only choice who could appease an entire fanbase is Merlin The Magician. Because frankly, he’s just as unrealistic as the expectations many have for the role of Seahawks offensive coordinator.

Nah Aaron, many fans I think would look to hire Merlin ... only to fire him later because he's an old dotard in their opinion, then move on to hire Harry Potter (eventually firing him too because they decide he's a young inexperienced punk who doesn't know anything). :p :stirthepot:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I've said it in another thread and I'll say something similar here.

Pete Carroll was an abject failure as an NFL coach and lamented by many when he came back from the college level. Let's see what he can do with Schotty. Maybe he'll mesh well and buy into Pete's philosophies and take this team to the next level. He certainly has the talent on the field to make it happen. I'm curious to see who he picks up as an O-Line coach. I hear Les Miles is unemployed :2thumbs:

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":16c07ahv said:

Pete Carroll was an abject failure as an NFL coach and lamented by many when he came back from the college level. Let's see what he can do with Schotty. Maybe he'll mesh well and buy into Pete's philosophies and take this team to the next level. He certainly has the talent on the field to make it happen. I'm curious to see who he picks up as an O-Line coach. I hear Les Miles is unemployed :2thumbs:
I grew up in So Cal, and have been a die hard Trojan fan my entire life. The 90's were not good to USC, talking heads were eulogizing the once great program that was the national football power USC. At the end of the Hackett era SC was looking for a coach that could bring Troy back to national prominence. Enter Pete Carroll, the hire was roundly hated, this coach was a failure, based on his past there was no way that there would be a future of anything but continued mediocracy. Good lord was everybody wrong, SC came back with a fury, and have been in the national conversation ever since. Thank goodness prescience is not a strong point of the average football fan, people can talk all the shit they want, but that's all it is. Based on my past experience, I choose to trust Pete.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Gio":201fg7cb said:
" Schottenheimer has nine seasons of coordinating experience in the NFL, but just one of those offenses finished inside the top-15 in total yards while none finished inside the top-15 in passing yards. Seattle should aim higher. "

" We were optimistic about the future of the Seahawks' offense when reports emerged they were willing to embrace a college-style scheme to suit Russell Wilson's strengths. Instead, Seattle has opted for a proven-failed offensive mind in Marty's son. An utmost example of the NFL's rampant nepotism, Brian Schottenheimer flamed out in previous stints coordinating offenses with the Jets, Rams, and University of Georgia. He spent the last two seasons coaching quarterbacks for the Colts. It's good news for the rest of the NFC West. " oook..... Is Bevell still available ? lol

Just peaked at this thread. No firm opinion on BS yet.

Gotta comment on that quote from whomever. They act like Wilson needs a gimmick or spread college offense for his “strengths”. That’s shorthand for saying for he has an inability to play pro style QB. Wilson only played pro style ofenses in college and was successful in both. Especially Wisconsin with their running game and OL.

Hard to evaluate BS cause his QBs sucked. But it does give pause when you don’t see noteworthy offenses on his resume.

Seymour

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1gbqgd6c said:
I just think we hired the exact same guy we fired.

I've said my piece on it.

Now we'll wait to see how it pans out, but let me just say that I'll be happy as hell to lose this argument.

Being wrong in this instance would be fabulous.

No we didn't. The guy we fired required Cable to be here and involved as run game coordinator. That dysfunctional disconnect is now gone. If nothing else we traded a 2 headed monster for a single headed monster.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Anajimmc":1ysca4is said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1ysca4is said:

I grew up in So Cal, and have been a die hard Trojan fan my entire life. The 90's were not good to USC, talking heads were eulogizing the once great program that was the national football power USC. At the end of the Hackett era SC was looking for a coach that could bring Troy back to national prominence. Enter Pete Carroll, the hire was roundly hated, this coach was a failure, based on his past there was no way that there would be a future of anything but continued mediocracy. Good lord was everybody wrong, SC came back with a fury, and have been in the national conversation ever since. Thank goodness prescience is not a strong point of the average football fan, people can talk all the shit they want, but that's all it is. Based on my past experience, I choose to trust Pete.

The difference is that in 2001, Pete hired Norm Chow, one of the brightest minds in the college game to be his OC. Back then, all of the pieces were in place for the Trojans, he had Chow running the O and Pete was running the D. Pete had proven he was a brilliant DC, and he took on that role with USC. Brian S. has yet demonstrate any brilliance as an OC.

This is a huge roll-of-the-dice. If you're from USC, you know we used to call him Big Balls Pete because he would take some very large risks. Some worked out well, but others were very big whiffs. In this instance, Pete's job is on the line with Brian S, and I don't know that I'd bet my career on this hire.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Tusc2000":5u9s459q said:
Anajimmc":5u9s459q said:
Sox-n-Hawks":5u9s459q said:

The difference is that in 2001, Pete hired Norm Chow, one of the brightest minds in the college game to be his OC. Back then, all of the pieces were in place for the Trojans, he had Chow running the O and Pete was running the D. Pete had proven he was a brilliant DC, and he took on that role with USC. Brian S. has yet demonstrate any brilliance as an OC.

This is a huge roll-of-the-dice. If you're from USC, you know we used to call him Big Balls Pete because he would take some very large risks. Some worked out well, but others were very big whiffs. In this instance, Pete's job is on the line with Brian S, and I don't know that I'd bet my career on this hire.

There are ZERO rules to keep the Seahawks from hiring an offensive genius as a consultant to get Schotty to the next level either. Tony Dungy anyone? Already has ties to the PNW.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Pete hired Norm Chow, one of the brightest minds in the college game to be his OC. "
Wasn't Chow fired at U Hawaii after failing as HC?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3havksx9 said:
There are ZERO rules to keep the Seahawks from hiring an offensive genius as a consultant to get Schotty to the next level either. Tony Dungy anyone? Already has ties to the PNW.

Except that is pretty much a cold slap in the face to the level of confidence you have in your new OC.

Pete doesn't want innovation on offense IMO. He has shown that by keeping Cable who was league worst in pass pro. Pete places so much emphasis on the running game, he is blinded to many other things going on. That is why I call BS a puppet, and he already knows Pete's moves. I've stated that several times, that was Pete's cheesy offense as much as Bevell's. Yes Bevell was poor as a play caller, but now our only hope is an oline that can allow the offense to at least function.

I'm willing to see how it plays out. But if I had to guess, it would be we will be back here a year from now having the same discussion about Pete's time has come.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rex Ryan was just on Brock and Salk this morning to talk about Schottenheimer, he was Rex's OC in NY..............and the one thing that stuck out about what Rex said about him was he's "loyal."

So that makes perfect sense, Pete went from one yes man to another, an OC that won't question or challenge Pete on how to run his offense.

I'll give Brian a chance, cause I need to see how the offense looks before taking a dump on it. But my first impression of this hire is meh, a retread coordinator that Pete hired because he's a yes man that'll run things how Pete wants things run............and not someone with any innovation.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
TreeRon":3gtl06ry said:
"Pete hired Norm Chow, one of the brightest minds in the college game to be his OC. "
Wasn't Chow fired at U Hawaii after failing as HC?

Yes. The Peter Principle at work here. Chow was an excellent college OC, but performed poorly as an HC. Some guys are just better at being assistants than at running the whole show.