Bijian Robinson at #20?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bijian Robinson at #20, great pickup or horrible idea? At #37 it's an obvious great value, but doubt he'll fall that far. Would he be worth the Hawks #20 if he falls that far?
I say YES, and HELL YES!! Even over a front 7 guy or an IOL at #20. He would be a great, great fit in the Seahawk offense, and he's one of those RBs that make his O-Line better. He also seems to be a good receiver out of the backfield. I don't say this lightly... I think Robinson would have a Lynch-like impact on games. Different styles, sure, but similar major impact, where the D always has to account for him, improving play-action passing success.

Watching Robinson's film, it's like Peak Penny the last year Russell was here, that historic 5 game stretch Penny had, AFTER Penny finally figured out how to run between the tackles, long TDs each game, and 130+ yard games. Robinson sets up his blocks so well, reads the D, and cuts explosively. Between K9 and Robinson, the Hawks ground game would have a home run threat on any running play, and if one's nicked up, the other can carry the load. Just as KWIII was the difference in several games last year (e.g., Chargers game, Lions game), so would Robinson be.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
I suspect he may be gone by 20. Chad Reuter has him going to the Bears at #9:

Daniel Jeremiah has him going to the Patriots at #14:

Charles Davis has the Eagles taking him at #10:

The only one I found where he last to #20 is Bucky Brooks' mock that has him going to the Chargers at #21:

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I suspect he may be gone by 20. Chad Reuter has him going to the Bears at #9:

Daniel Jeremiah has him going to the Patriots at #14:

Charles Davis has the Eagles taking him at #10:

The only one I found where he last to #20 is Bucky Brooks' mock that has him going to the Chargers at #21:

I musta seen that Bucky Brooks one too, because it was like, "Somebody's mocking him at #21??!! Hawks for sure better grab him at #20!" Been seeing him mostly as a #10-15 pick in mocks. I know teams are gunshy about taking RBs in the first round with all the injuries at the position, and short careers. This guy sure looks worth it.

Chevy

Reaction score
No. That would be a waste of resources. It would be like having Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow on the same team. Two elite players for one starting position. One guy is not going to get reps and will be wasted talent/resource on the sideline.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
No. That would be a waste of resources. It would be like having Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow on the same team. Two elite players for one starting position. One guy is not going to get reps and will be wasted talent/resource on the sideline.
That's not a good analogy IMO. It is very possible to have two RBs who both see a lot of action. Given Pete's penchant for running the ball, it wouldn't be surprising to see a duo of Walker and Robinson possibly approaching 1,000 yard seasons each. New Orleans ran a 2 RB scheme quite well under Sean Payton.

I don't expect them to pick Robinson, but if he falls, it wouldn't be a bad pick IMO.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would be excited because I think he's really good and it would be fun to watch him but with how many holes we have and it being a very deep RB class it just doesn't make much sense to me. Walker is one of your best players right now. So while it would be a fun pick like Walker, Penny were I just don't see it.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawks went into last season with Penny and Walker III, no Chris Carson, his body torn up by the NFL meatgrinder for RBs. Seahawk RBs under Carroll's tenure have been injured and unavailable--A LOT. Hawks originally probably looked at Walker III as an insurance policy for oft-injured Penny, and surprise-not-surprise, Walker III got pressed into primary RB duty due to an early-season Penny injury. If we lose Walker III early next season, what RB will the Seahawks have that opponents actually FEAR?

In recent memory, the Saints had Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram in the same backfield for a couple years, and that worked very well for them, option 1 and option 1A. Kamara has had some injury/availability issues the last year or so, so having an option 1A is always a good thing.

Your point is about allocation of resources; I'm looking at it from the standpoint that Robinson could easily be a "great" back in the NFL, even better than Walker III. Also, the way Robinson makes his O-Line look good would reduce the need to have a great run-blocking guard & center; a good pass-pro guard and center with average run-blocking would still allow the Hawks to have a great rushing attack with Robinson toting the rock. (Not to mention Dissly's blocking abilities were pretty darn good at last check) We know how much Pete loves the run game and being able to run effectively on opponents. The other big factor is that NFL RBs get hurt, a lot, and managing their workload is a factor in keeping them healthier.

I'm not arguing the Seahawks should scramble their draft board, make trades, etc. to target Robinson; merely that if he falls to #20, he is (arguably, and IMO) one of the surest bets to help the Seahawks have a good regular season record and be a key factor in a deep playoff run. (Remember that Curt Warner dude and the Seahawks getting to the AFC Championship game? More recent, would the Seahawks have even made it to SB48 and SB49 if Lynch was unavailable during the playoffs? I say NO, especially that 2014 Green Bay NFCCG)

All that said, I think it unlikely the Hawks get a chance to take Robinson #20. A few years ago, they passed on Jonathan Taylor to take Jordyn Brooks. I do think the Seahawks will draft some mid-round and late round RBs and hope for another Chris Carson or Isiah Pacheco stroke of luck.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Bijan in the 1st round is not good value for the Seahawks they do need to draft a RB but later on. My plan would be to build the OL/DL learn from what the Eagles did in 2022 and be bullies

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’m one of those people that believe a great run game isn’t at all completely on the offensive line.

The RB needs to be talented to very talented to have a great run game.

Think about how excellent Marshawn was and how normal to regular Robert Turbin was.

The difference between the two is strictly, natural god given talent.

I want a great offensive line too but if Seattle believes they can still build a quality line, they need to grab an elite RB at 20 if Robinson is there, if they don’t believe an elite offensive lineman is there.

When Walker went down, Seattle, couldn’t run the ball at all.

That’s a huge problem come December games and possibly January.

Yes, I’m all for Bijan Robinson at 20.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
They way the injury bug seems to find our rb room with relative ease, I say go for it.

HawksNation

Reaction score
This would assume we pass on QB,

Trade down to 9 and pick up pick 52
9-Carter
20- Bijan
37- Dawand Jones
52- Derick Hall
53- Jack Campbell
83- Julius Brents
123- Olusogun Oluwatimi
151- Bryce Ford Weaton
154- Dorian Williams
198- Yaya Diabi
237- Keondre Coburn

AgentDib

Reaction score
#20 is too early for me.

The difference in injury risk between RB and other positions is significant; nearly all RB carries end in getting tackled, whether it's after 1 yard or 15 yards. Investing in one particular back, whether by drafting them too early or paying them a big second contract, is very risky behavior. If we knew that Bijan was going to be mostly healthy then that would be different, but we can't simply assume that for any RB.

Effort is also a big part of the puzzle, so the position strategy should be to have a lot of young RBs who are hungry to make an impact and get paid. The benefit of RBs being widely undervalued in the NFL is that you can get really good ones much later in the draft. It's not that Bijan and Walker wouldn't be a good combo, but that you could get other exciting combos with 95% less draft capital spent.

Chevy

Reaction score
That's not a good analogy IMO. It is very possible to have two RBs who both see a lot of action. Given Pete's penchant for running the ball, it wouldn't be surprising to see a duo of Walker and Robinson possibly approaching 1,000 yard seasons each. New Orleans ran a 2 RB scheme quite well under Sean Payton.

I don't expect them to pick Robinson, but if he falls, it wouldn't be a bad pick IMO.
How many Super Bowl winning teams in the last 25 years have had a 1st round and 2nd round RB, that they drafted, on their Super Bowl winning team? My guess is zero.

If we want a more dominate running game then draft a offensive lineman at #20. A offensive lineman will get every offensive rep as opposed to a backup RB that gets a 1/3 of the reps that an offensive lineman would get.

Chevy

Reaction score
Hawks went into last season with Penny and Walker III, no Chris Carson, his body torn up by the NFL meatgrinder for RBs. Seahawk RBs under Carroll's tenure have been injured and unavailable--A LOT. Hawks originally probably looked at Walker III as an insurance policy for oft-injured Penny, and surprise-not-surprise, Walker III got pressed into primary RB duty due to an early-season Penny injury. If we lose Walker III early next season, what RB will the Seahawks have that opponents actually FEAR?

In recent memory, the Saints had Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram in the same backfield for a couple years, and that worked very well for them, option 1 and option 1A. Kamara has had some injury/availability issues the last year or so, so having an option 1A is always a good thing.

Your point is about allocation of resources; I'm looking at it from the standpoint that Robinson could easily be a "great" back in the NFL, even better than Walker III. Also, the way Robinson makes his O-Line look good would reduce the need to have a great run-blocking guard & center; a good pass-pro guard and center with average run-blocking would still allow the Hawks to have a great rushing attack with Robinson toting the rock. (Not to mention Dissly's blocking abilities were pretty darn good at last check) We know how much Pete loves the run game and being able to run effectively on opponents. The other big factor is that NFL RBs get hurt, a lot, and managing their workload is a factor in keeping them healthier.

I'm not arguing the Seahawks should scramble their draft board, make trades, etc. to target Robinson; merely that if he falls to #20, he is (arguably, and IMO) one of the surest bets to help the Seahawks have a good regular season record and be a key factor in a deep playoff run. (Remember that Curt Warner dude and the Seahawks getting to the AFC Championship game? More recent, would the Seahawks have even made it to SB48 and SB49 if Lynch was unavailable during the playoffs? I say NO, especially that 2014 Green Bay NFCCG)

All that said, I think it unlikely the Hawks get a chance to take Robinson #20. A few years ago, they passed on Jonathan Taylor to take Jordyn Brooks. I do think the Seahawks will draft some mid-round and late round RBs and hope for another Chris Carson or Isiah Pacheco stroke of luck.
Penny was always injured prior to the drafting of Walker. IMO when we drafted Walker it was a foregone conclustion that Penny would lose his starting job Walker's rookie season. Also, prior to drafting Walker the Seahawks only signed Penny to a one year deal.

Drafting a backup RB in the 1st round as opposed to drafting an every down offensive lineman is again a waste of resources.

It seems like we agree that a mid-round RB in this draft is the best option.

Chevy

Reaction score
100%. When is the last time a back with his combo of speed, power, and versatility came out? I'm drawing a blank.

He's like Saquon and AP had a baby. It's nuts.
How many Super Bowls do the Giants and Vikings have with those top-10 drafted RBs on their roster?

Latest posts