Bigger Picture!

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of what the team did over the past few days with the draft. Getting good and solid young players that fit the culture and needs of the team. Let's look at the overall bigger picture of where this team is going. First let's look back a little of why this makes sense.

The last few seasons

Let's face the facts. The Seahawks were a winning franchise but it got stale. The QB wasn't happy with the direction of the team. We weren't truly competing for titles and he couldn't "lead" the team that way he wanted. The roster was stale. The draft classes weren't the best. The system weren't the best. The coaches weren't up and coming. Change was needed. Everyone needed a step-back to rip off the band-aid. John and Pete went into this off-season with a breath of fresh air and a new sense of freedom.

Bigger picture

Now let's look at where this team is heading. Let's be objective here and acknowledge that it might work out, it might not work out. However, like the M's --you try to put your team in winning situations and positions to thrive long-term.

The offense is now full of young and explosive players. You have 2 of the more explosive RBs in the league. There is a good chance the offense is spear-headed by KWIII in a couple of years. You still have DK and Tyler. Behind them are a crew of young and explosive WRs. However you feel about Eskridge -- his traits are no lie. He can fly. Bo Melton can fly. It's getting old at this point but at TE -- Noah Fant can fly. Dissly can glide? (I'm trying to be nice). It's a nice situation for a young QB to go into now. He'll be set up for success.

The Oline is now really set up nicely to be developed and molded into a nice crew. You have your bookend OTs of the future and they are both polished and good protectors. They aren't projects. You continue to build your line. You try to find out whether Damien Lewis and Phil Haynes fit your system. You find your stud Center in FA or the draft next season. There's a good thing going.

The defense now has a lot of young pieces. You still have your starters at safety. I think you have a really good shot at finding your starters at CBs with Tre Brown and Coby Bryant. You have a couple of twitchy and explosive edges in Mafe and Taylor. You have an emerging MLB in Brooks. Add to this defense!

The future!

The coaching staff is young and hungry. Everyone underneath Carroll are in their late 30s or early 40s. We have 2 first and 2 second in next year's draft. We have one of the bigger cap number in the league next year. You can add whoever you want. You can trade for a veteran QB next season. You can target a stud college QB with all of the early round picks. I'm not saying we are going to win next season. I'm not saying things will work out. I'm saying you step back and look at the bigger picture and understand what's going on....Things are quietly taking shape.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's 2011 all over again! Pete's winning model was never a "pay the franchise QB big bucks" model. Never made it past Divisional round after Russ got paid. Pete's top winning model was "have a ton of players MASSIVELY outperforming their contracts". Oh yeah, and a hungry, young elite defense, and a smash-mouth running game and a cheap game manager QB who can throw the deep ball. It feels like we're getting back to Pete's winning formula. Maybe we take some lumps this year, but next year and the year are potentially positioned to align with the 2012 and 2013 trajectory. I'd be good with that.

sutz

Reaction score
Nice to hear a positive post. And it's all true.

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

sc85sis

Reaction score
It’s incredibly hard to build a winning team in the salary cap era once you’ve paid your star QB an outrageous salary, and when you keep having to pick in the lower part of the rounds in the draft.

in some ways, the Hawks would have been better off as a franchise being ruthless with guys - parting ways after second, or even first, contracts. But that’s not how Pete and John (or the Allen family) roll. It’s a business. Winning is awesome. But there are a lot of ways to win in life above and beyond hoisting a Lombardi trophy.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I haven't felt this sense of anticipation with this team for a decade. Seeing how awesome this draft has been makes me wish we moved on from Russ a few years ago now, but it is what it is. It's a journey, and a fun one at that.