Bevell did such a good job

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":43aidgzb said:
Bevell called a really good game. He's the easy scapegoat when we don't look like world beaters but I think he's as good as we could hope for. I think his harshest critics, for the most part, kind of don't know wtf they're talking about. Again, just my opinion.

:salute:

This! (^o^)

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1rvir6mf said:
My, how quickly people have forgotten the play calling on the first several series in both of our playoff games last year.

i don't remember lynch's goalline fumble being by design?
or maybe you're referring to the robinson run on 4th and 1 that had a 100% success rate during the regular season?

Largent80

Reaction score
I was commenting to my wife during the game that he was a master last night at least.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3dq9bb1r said:
My, how quickly people have forgotten the play calling on the first several series in both of our playoff games last year.

My, how some people can be unable to let things go and give credit when/where credit is due.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I wasn't at all disappointed with the play calling, but did you guys see our offensive line out there? Jesus Christ, they looked amazing on some of those plays. Russell had time to call his mother and make a sandwich back there.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1sivrtls said:
That is what I been saying all year Kearly. When our players execute, the playcalls look great. When they dont, the coaches are dumbshits.

This kind of comment has always offended me. When I discussed at why I was underwhelmed with Bevell, it wasn't always about playcalling, it was usually about play design. For most of the year, we didn't have a short passing game, we hardly even attempted to throw between the hashes, and we weren't dealing with the blitz by passing very well. I know he was hamstrung by injuries up front - I just spent an entire year rotating guys in on a varsity football team that had never played OL before because our numbers were so low, I get it. I don't blame him for that.

The past couple games, all of my concerns have improved. We did some incredible things last night with our short passing game and were beating the blitz by throwing behind it, finally. I'd always thought we were missing some pretty fundamental stuff in our passing game, and we sure saw it come around last night.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":2f9x44d0 said:
AgentDib":2f9x44d0 said:
SonicHawk":2f9x44d0 said:
Bevell for the second year in a row has learned to maximize the performance of this offense. It takes him half a season to really do it but impresses again.
Bevell really turned the corner in these last two games when he learned to call plays featuring our starting linemen instead of our backups. With all the helpful second guessing on this forum you would think somebody would have mentioned that to him sooner.

It really is amazing how Bevell is always the genius when our team plays well and always a bum who needs to be fired when our player's execution has an off week.

In fairness, the problems that plagued Bevell in the preseason and most of the regular season have vanished in recent weeks. I'm chalking it up to vastly improved pass pro, but I heard Wilson talk about looking forward to the blitz because of all the green grass behind it, and I wondered if maybe Bevell had also turned a new leaf vs. the blitz.

Half a tick more of pass pro works wonders for execution, doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure Bevell's 'new leaf' is more because of Russell Wilson than anything else. I'll go further to say that Bevell's career is benefitting from Russ in more ways than one. His ability to execute plays is one thing, but the kid's knowledge, preparation and awareness are off the charts. This is a symbiotic relationship, and I'll bet Bevell has learned a great deal from Russell. From all of the film study he has packed into his noggin, I'm sure Russ has found which of Bevell's plays work as is, which plays need adjustment and which ones should be thrown out. That's in sharp contrast to someone like Favre who begrudging listened to Bevell, but freelanced every chance he could get; Russell is an open book that is always making sure everyone is on the same page with.

bellingerga

Reaction score
he has a tendency to fall into easily predictable patters.

When he doesn't do that, he is bloody awesome. It's really easy to want to put too much blame on him when things go badly, I am guilty of that.

Hawker

Reaction score
Prior to the snap on the 60 yarder to Miller, on that 3rd and 1, when I saw a zero back set, I damn near lost my mind and thought "oh no here Bevell goes again." I am uber-happy that play call worked out so well.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
sutz":3vozlql3 said:
SonicHawk":3vozlql3 said:
Bevell for the second year in a row has learned to maximize the performance of this offense. It takes him half a season to really do it but impresses again.
I'm beginning to think that that is by design. It's just too much of a coincidence.

It's all possible that it takes awhile to get the composition of a team together. He's had to make changes to compensate for o-line, a hurt (then disabled) Sidney Rice, no M-Rob in the run game, and so on. I imagine that's a pretty difficult task.

And since I've been a fairly staunch defender of his so far, I'd like to take a bow.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":29aqlrel said:
FargoHawk":29aqlrel said:
My, how some people can be unable to let things go and give credit when/where credit is due.

Look earlier in this thread, junior. I did. Those comments by Tech Worlds and Kearly instigated further responses, and not just by me.

Which part? I saw u give credit but maybe I missed the part where you were able to let things go.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I believe it's a real thing that Bevell can be elite when he has talent but struggles when he doesn't have them. To clarify, he is better than most other OCs when he has the talent because he's a really smart guy. But when our O-Line is decimated he doesn't have the ability to game plan around that.

I'm wondering if he's more of a passing OC and not a very good running game OC. The St Louis game really pissed me off because of the game plan. But then again we don't know how much Pete Carroll was influencing that because he's been guilty of it before. "I was pushing Bev to have Russell throw more." Can't remember what game that was from but I didn't like it.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
What are the odds Dan Snyder goes after him to be the Skins coach next year?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":19gojfe6 said:
Tech Worlds":19gojfe6 said:
That is what I been saying all year Kearly. When our players execute, the playcalls look great. When they dont, the coaches are dumbshits.

This kind of comment has always offended me. When I discussed at why I was underwhelmed with Bevell, it wasn't always about playcalling, it was usually about play design. For most of the year, we didn't have a short passing game, we hardly even attempted to throw between the hashes, and we weren't dealing with the blitz by passing very well. I know he was hamstrung by injuries up front - I just spent an entire year rotating guys in on a varsity football team that had never played OL before because our numbers were so low, I get it. I don't blame him for that.

The past couple games, all of my concerns have improved. We did some incredible things last night with our short passing game and were beating the blitz by throwing behind it, finally. I'd always thought we were missing some pretty fundamental stuff in our passing game, and we sure saw it come around last night.

I agree with you. It's just the Bevell hate had gone so far one way that SOMEBODY had to take the other side. I have always felt the truth about Bevell lays somewhere in between.

He is not the incompetent idiot that many here thinks he is. Was some of the criticism warranted? Of course. But not nearly all.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2xqcakzw said:
What are the odds Dan Snyder goes after him to be the Skins coach next year?

That's a good one. I think Houston will also be a contender if they decide to cut ties with Kubiak. Bevell + Bridgewater would probably look fantastic to the Texans.