Best draft in years

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Drafting a new QB after 2017, when fan support of Wilson was at an all-time high after the entire roster was decimated by injuries and he willed the team to the playoffs absent a Blair Walsh miss or two, was not going to happen.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I just don't see the same lack of activity regarding QBs here that the pessimists do. (For lack of a better term, no insult intended.) The FO brought in Lock as part of the deal for Russ, and IIRC, they graded Lock as one of the better QBs to come out of his draft. Then this year, they traded draft capital to get Howell, effectively "drafting" him. And again, IIRC, they had him graded not only as one of the better QBs in his draft, they had him as one of the better QBs in this draft. And if he had been in this year's draft, there's no guarantee he (or any other QB) would have been there at 16.

He might turn out to be not the guy. But then again, he might turn out to be the guy. But what I am confident of is that, if he does get to play, our coaching staff this year will use him better and give him more chances to succeed than Washington's coaching staff gave him last year.

BASF

Reaction score
I just don't see the same lack of activity regarding QBs here that the pessimists do. (For lack of a better term, no insult intended.) The FO brought in Lock as part of the deal for Russ, and IIRC, they graded Lock as one of the better QBs to come out of his draft. Then this year, they traded draft capital to get Howell, effectively "drafting" him. And again, IIRC, they had him graded not only as one of the better QBs in his draft, they had him as one of the better QBs in this draft. And if he had been in this year's draft, there's no guarantee he (or any other QB) would have been there at 16.

He might turn out to be not the guy. But then again, he might turn out to be the guy. But what I am confident of is that, if he does get to play, our coaching staff this year will use him better and give him more chances to succeed than Washington's coaching staff gave him last year.
Nothing short of five years of contractual control on a rookie deal will curtail their posts.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Why don't you? It's not like he was the number 1 pick or anything. A couple of years sitting behind Russ would have been great.
I would only draft a QB if I knew I was letting the starter go within a year and would be for salary cap reasons. If the GM does this he better be damn sure the plan works or else he is fired.

During 2015-2019 RW was making $22 million AAV he signed a $35 million AAV contract for 2019-2023. 2018 would have been a good time to draft a replacement QB and trade Wilson. I doubt PC would have been ok with that plan

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
We have been to 3 Super bowls and should by rights won three, Thanks Refs and the worst call in history but besides that, 6 rounder and a third rounder, one game away in the 80's with a UDFA from Milton we have shown that with three different appearances and one oh so close you need balance on offense and a good defense or better in each case. Don't need a high top 5 pick to succeed.

Fair, but I think every SB winning team excels somewhere and it isn't just balance. The 2005 team ran at teams with Alexander and the line and there wasn't anything opposing teams could do about it. The 2013-14 teams were stacked everywhere so I can't point at one area although I guess it would be the defense. Look at last year with the Chiefs,,,,,Mahomes is just that good. I know there's only one of him in the league, but the fact is he's winning rings.

The current Hawks team is new and fresh. The fun will be seeing where they can excel.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
So ... Are you saying that to get a QBOTF , Seattle has to draft said player in the top 10 ? Top 5 ?

Are you basing your assessment of of his one season a horribly ran franchise with crap coaching ?

Heck , maybe you're right IDK but I'm personally thinking he might turn out to be a good starting QB.
Especially if he can take a season or two behind Geno Smith and regroup.

A higher draft pick certainly helps. I'm making my assessment from last season, his college career, and where he was drafted. Could he work out? Sure. Will he? Doubtful.

I'm aware that Washington was bad. When Seattle beat them last season there were people on here raving about the win and saying how not bad they were because they played the screwed up Eagles close. I told them the back patting was premature because Washington stunk. It turned out they did. How much of that was due to Howell?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I would only draft a QB if I knew I was letting the starter go within a year and would be for salary cap reasons. If the GM does this he better be damn sure the plan works or else he is fired.

During 2015-2019 RW was making $22 million AAV he signed a $35 million AAV contract for 2019-2023. 2018 would have been a good time to draft a replacement QB and trade Wilson. I doubt PC would have been ok with that plan

Yeah, the time and numbers work out in hindsight, but your right about PC. I understand both sides. Man, would have been nice though if Jackson was waiting in the wings while signing Wilson to a shorter contract at the time. Oh well.

morgulon1

Reaction score
A higher draft pick certainly helps. I'm making my assessment from last season, his college career, and where he was drafted. Could he work out? Sure. Will he? Doubtful.

I'm aware that Washington was bad. When Seattle beat them last season there were people on here raving about the win and saying how not bad they were because they played the screwed up Eagles close. I told them the back patting was premature because Washington stunk. It turned out they did. How much of that was due to Howell?
Fair enough brother . My question was an honest one as I'm looking for more than just my simple opinion.Im optimistic for Howellbut I could easily be wrong .

I hope he's top 10 for Seattle's sake.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fair enough brother . My question was an honest one as I'm looking for more than just my simple opinion.Im optimistic for Howellbut I could easily be wrong .

I hope he's top 10 for Seattle's sake.

And I admit that I could totally be wrong about him. I'm just going off of my feelings and opinions too.

I also hope he turns out to be something special.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Howell wasn't the one calling pass plays almost two thirds of the time. Washington led the league in passing percentage, by at least a couple of percentage points. The thing I don't find in your criticisms of Howell is any acknowledgement that coaching and management decisions played a significant role in creating the product on the field. Your argument that if-Washington-liked-Howell-they-would-have-kept-him doesn't seem to consider the fact that all of Washington's decision makers were fired, and new management decided to start fresh.

In normal circumstances, one might legitimately read into Washington letting him go. In this case, though, I think it's simply that the new owner hired new management and coaches, and they decided that it would be better for their collective future to get what draft capital they could from Howell, and start by giving their new head coach his own new quarterback from the very beginning.