Best draft in years

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Russ was still very good in 2018 though. He had 35 TD's and only 7 picks, a QBR of 119.3. Why would they take Lamar Jackson? You don't sit Jackson on the bench if you draft him. Way too easy to say something after the fact.

Last edited:

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
2018 was when we were genuinely believing Russ was transitioning into an offense carrying QB. Lamar would have been a better pick, no doubt, but without the benefit of hindsight, I don't think there's any realistic expectation they actually make that move there.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Russ was still very good in 2018 though. He had 35 TD's and only 7 picks, a QBR of 119.3. Why would they take Lamar Jackson? You don't sit Jackson on the bench if you draft him. Way too easy to say something after the fact.

Why don't you? It's not like he was the number 1 pick or anything. A couple of years sitting behind Russ would have been great.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Drafting a QB from 2017-'20 made little to no sense. As Russ was still viewed as the guy. He was the face of the franchise & playing at a very high level at that time. The perception was that he would be here for many years to come. So, there was no immediate need to find his replacement. It wasn't until he & his agent started leaking **** to the media that things started to unravel on that front.

You can make a case that they should've started looking for his replacement in 2021. However, none of the QB's have panned out in that draft class. Same goes for 2022.

Would you have been okay with them taking Justin Fields or Mac Jones? How about Desmond Ridder? None of those guys would have moved the needle.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Come on man. There was no way in hell they were going to draft him. Zero

I get it and i'm not arguing it's just that i'm pointing out there were opportunities to address a QBotF while some say there wasn't. Regardless of the who's and when's, Seattle needs to address the issue soon, and it is an issue.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Why in the world would they do that when Russ was in his prime? Makes no sense.

Preparing for the future makes no sense? By ignoring it the team now finds itself without any franchise QB and a huge problem moving forward. Their options to obtain one now are-

Suck really bad to get a good draft pick
Pray a later round QB hits which is rare
Trade away future picks for a better pick on draft day
Trade a star away for a FA and DK is the only star power the team has
Pay the farm for a FA

Not great options

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Why in the world would they do that when Russ was in his prime? Makes no sense.
The Green Bay philosophy was keep one on the back burner learning or developing, Brunner, Hasselbeck, etc, even Rodgers and then Love. We now have Howell, who may be the QBOTF here or somewhere, like it or not we are not going to get a top 5 pick anytime soon for a QB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Preparing for the future makes no sense? By ignoring it the team now finds itself without any franchise QB and a huge problem moving forward. Their options to obtain one now are-

Suck really bad to get a good draft pick
Pray a later round QB hits which is rare
Trade away future picks for a better pick on draft day
Trade a star away for a FA and DK is the only star power the team has
Pay the farm for a FA

Not great options
Agree to disagree. There was no chance they were going to take a guy of his caliber when had one of the best in the league at that time.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Agree to disagree. There was no chance they were going to take a guy of his caliber when had one of the best in the league at that time.

OK lets just forget about Lamar Jackson, but don't you agree the Hawks are pretty much backed into a corner with the QB situation?

CactusJack

Reaction score
OK lets just forget about Lamar Jackson, but don't you agree the Hawks are pretty much backed into a corner with the QB situation?
Other than trading for the #1 pick last year & taking Stroud. There really has not been a ton of great options for them to pursue.

They didn't have the draft capital needed to make a move this year. Honestly, I'm not sure McCarthy & Nix are all that much better than what they already have in Howell. John, the FO & coaches seem to agree.

Fans would have been beyond pissed if they took a QB like Lamar. Why waste a pick on a guy who never would have played? Just so he can sit for three years behind Russ. While also not getting the added benefit of a starting QB on a rookie deal. It was never realistic. It also would have soured the relationship with Russ much quicker.

The 2021 & '22 draft classes did not produce a reliable starter outside of Trevor Lawrence & Brock **** Purdy.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look how many times they drafted in the mid to late 20s in the draft. It's not like some beast was going to be available to them.

Jville

Reaction score

Healthy Discussion.

You directed your question to another poster. But, I'll go ahead and interject an opinion that no team that uses all avenues of talent acquisition is ever backed into a corner.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Healthy Discussion.

You directed your question to another poster. But, I'll go ahead and interject an opinion that no team that uses all avenues of talent acquisition is ever backed into a corner.

I'm sure your probably right and I agree that we don't actually know if Howell will progress (i'm not feeling it), but i'm just worried their going to have to go through drastic measures eventually to find a good QB. I have no confidence in Smith or Howell to take the team deep into the post season although I know some do.

I don't know why I have this feeling like they should have addressed the QB situation earlier when I know other teams do the same (except for Green Bay which has worked exceptionally well for them). Its just me. There's still a ways to go before all the other holes are properly filled so I need to learn to relax a bit.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm sure your probably right and I agree that we don't actually know if Howell will progress (i'm not feeling it), but i'm just worried their going to have to go through drastic measures eventually to find a good QB. I have no confidence in Smith or Howell to take the team deep into the post season although I know some do.

I don't know why I have this feeling like they should have addressed the QB situation earlier when I know other teams do the same (except for Green Bay which has worked exceptionally well for them). Its just me. There's still a ways to go before all the other holes are properly filled so I need to learn to relax a bit.

I like to remind myself that, although there is personnel carry over from one year to the next, the reality is that there is a starting point and conclusion to each and every Seahawks team in each and every season. Each team of each year has its own unique make up. And each, writes it's own unique story.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have been to 3 Super bowls and should by rights won three, Thanks Refs and the worst call in history but besides that, 6 rounder and a third rounder, one game away in the 80's with a UDFA from Milton we have shown that with three different appearances and one oh so close you need balance on offense and a good defense or better in each case. Don't need a high top 5 pick to succeed.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Then he would have been a bust. Again, i've said Seattle wasn't in any position to search for their QBotF this draft, but it sure isn't going to be Howell. The guy has played in the league already and has thrown as many int's as td's. Great QB's don't do that. He's not the QB that's going to take Seattle to the next level.

Seattle is going to have to figure out how to get in position to draft their QB and I don't know how that's going to work out, but it needs to be in the next couple years.
So ... Are you saying that to get a QBOTF , Seattle has to draft said player in the top 10 ? Top 5 ?

Are you basing your assessment of of his one season a horribly ran franchise with crap coaching ?

Heck , maybe you're right IDK but I'm personally thinking he might turn out to be a good starting QB.
Especially if he can take a season or two behind Geno Smith and regroup.

toffee

Reaction score
I kinda think the draft on its own is overrated. You have to have coaching. You have to grab the right free agents. There needs to be a comprehensive plan.

We have the boy genius, a wizard at XO, and our Young Macdonald also has a system.

Latest posts