Best draft in years

NoGain

Reaction score
I'm talking about actually drafting QB's, having significant time and club control over them.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This draft was more like 2023, or 2014-2015: a couple of blue-chippers at the top and then a whole bunch of ST churn that won't be here after a year. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Rat

toffee

Reaction score
I had a bottle of champagne in ice bucket for the draft. I had cocktails over the whole draft, no, I didn't pop the champagne.

We probably drafted ok, somehow draftees didn't inspire 🍾 🍾 🥂 🥂 🍾 🍾

Last edited:

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
For what it's worth (and of course very subjective), the Seahawks were 1 of only 3 teams to receive an 'A' grade from the draft (the other two being the Steelers and the Chiefs).

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I had a bottle of champagne in ice bucket for the draft. I had cocktails over the whole draft, no, I didn't pop the champagne.

We probably drafted ok, somehow draftees didn't inspire 🍾 🍾 🥂 🥂 🍾 🍾
Byron Murphy will inspire when you see him play. He will penetrate consistently into the backfield to disrupt plays against both the run and pass. He’s going to make a big impact even as a rookie.

toffee

Reaction score
Byron Murphy will inspire when you see him play. He will penetrate consistently into the backfield to disrupt plays against both the run and pass. He’s going to make a big impact even as a rookie.
I would like that, very much 🤩

CPHawk

Reaction score
I don't think we beat 2022 or 2023 with it.

Nice draft, though
Outside of our 2 first rounders, who are you high on from 2023 class? We drafted 2 OL, one we are hoping can be a quality starter and the other we decided we needed to draft guards again because he doesn’t look like a starter.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Outside of our 2 first rounders, who are you high on from 2023 class? We drafted 2 OL, one we are hoping can be a quality starter and the other we decided we needed to draft guards again because he doesn’t look like a starter.
2023? Charbonnet is a good back, Jerrick is a core special teamer and Olu is our presumptive starting center. Morris was also playing very well initially before his injury. There are some unknowns and there will surely be some flameouts, but the above alone in addition to two hits in the first round is an OUTSTANDING draft compared to the average.

2023 is the type of draft that teams aim for. It's not something that teams do very often.

Bradford was a bit rough, yes, but he was also a fourth rounder. We got starting snaps out of him. That's more than you can generally expect from fourth rounders, and it is very likely more than we're going to get from our 2024 fourth rounders

2022 was also an excellent draft. Cross is competent at a premium spot, we got a stud RT (injury luck aside...), a productive edge rusher, a bellcow RB, and a CB who was a phenom year 1 and... well, we'll see going forward.

2024 is just... probably not going to live up to that. I expect the top 2 to be some degree of hit, and I expect Byron to be a Pro Bowler. I don't think the rest of the draft hits at the level of 2022/2023. Thats just me.

Rat

Reaction score
Raiders won the draft. Never thought I'd say that. If he had lost two of those pointless wins, we could have had their draft and be looking pretty.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Well, if you're not going to take into account that JS traded actual picks in this year's draft for Sam Howell...

Schneider judged correctly that we wouldn't a shot at any of the top 6 QBs in this year's draft, so he "drafted" someone he considers to be better than any of the QBs remaining in this draft.
We picked up the kid from SDSU right after the draft. He has some cleaning up to do but he has everything you need to be a huge success in the NFL. If Purdy can do it this guy can do it in spades. Great long ball, mobile...the whole 9 yards. 20TD last two years in a row with only 4 picks. He could turn into a fine NFL QB.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
So, thinking about what makes a "great draft", I present to you this scenario:

Link will take you to the 2014 draft results for the Rams.

Greg Robinson, their selection at #2 overall, flamed out. Lamarcus Joyner, their 2nd round pick, was a solid safety over most of his 9 years in the NFL. The rest of their draft produced average talent, at best.

Oh, except for that one DT that they chose with their other 1st round pick. Aaron Donald.

Would you consider the above results a great draft? If so, I would say Seattle's 2024 draft could draw some parallels (minus the whiffed #2 overall pick). We can't tell yet what impact Murphy will have and I don't believe he'll be as good as Donald, BUT if he ends up being a multi-year All Pro and stays in Seattle for his entire career like Donald did with the Rams...would that make this a "great draft" given the impact of one player? I could also see Haynes being a solid pro as well, much like Joyner was. Would having two quality players from a draft class qualify it as "great"?

Just a discussion point...not sure where the line is drawn on what is considered a great draft. Is is obtaining one or two high end players that have game changing/field tilting talent, drafting 4-5 players that have the potential to provide either average starting or high end depth capabilities, or (and I imagine this could be the consensus answer) a mix of the two?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
My favorite draft in a long while. Not sure about those later round picks like many but Murphy, Haynes, Leo Williams and the TE2 will all be starters that help get this team back to being bullies. If we hit on one or two of those other guys would push this draft way up there. Even if we get some solid depth out of those late rounders wouldn't be bad.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Howell was traded for a 3rd so until he proves otherwise he is the future or life after Geno IMO.

If they are laying all their cards on Howell being the QBotF then Macdonald was a bad hire. Howell is not the answer at QB. He is solid backup material. QB wasn't going to be handled this year, but it needs to be soon and i'm not sure how they are going to do it.

CPHawk

Reaction score
If they are laying all their cards on Howell being the QBotF then Macdonald was a bad hire. Howell is not the answer at QB. He is solid backup material. QB wasn't going to be handled this year, but it needs to be soon and i'm not sure how they are going to do it.
Then who was the qb if the future after the top 12 picks? If there was a potential one, he would have been gone in tge first 2 rounds. Not in the 4. If Howell had stayed in school and been part of this draft, he would have been up there with the top 6 QBs.

And if these top 6 QBs had been in the nfl for 2 years. Half of them would be 3rd string or out of the nfl now. Just the way it always works out.