BB Suspended Indefinitely

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2ht2p50b said:
WOW! Really surprised to see this. I really thought that BB had a great chance of winning his appeal, especially after hearing more and more about his situation. This just isn't right.

Wait. YOU were hopeful?

Well, now we know what went wrong. :mrgreen:

Throwdown

Reaction score
volsunghawk":ejnn3wil said:
Blitzer88":ejnn3wil said:
WOW! Really surprised to see this. I really thought that BB had a great chance of winning his appeal, especially after hearing more and more about his situation. This just isn't right.

Wait. YOU were hopeful?

Well, now we know what went wrong. :mrgreen:

Jesus Christ, We need to have Blitzer's post somewhere for reference that at one point in time he was hopeful.

HawksCougsWarriors

Reaction score
They should cut off his hands, he'd never smoke weed again! Can't believe some people actually think Browner is being treated fairly...

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
He's a Seahawk, from that tree hugging liberal place up north, of course they don't treat him fairly. The same NFL that gave us 5 10AM east coast starts, SB XL, and tried to suspend Sherman going into the playoffs isn't going to treat any Seahawk fairly going into the playoffs this year.

Largent80's picture above about sums it up nicely.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The treatment of Browner would make George Orwell slap his head in disbelief. I can't believe the NFL, sometimes. I mean, I can - it's a system wherein money and fame makes rapists and murderers go free, but damn you if you smoke a plant!

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2r8kst3r said:
The treatment of Browner would make George Orwell slap his head in disbelief. I can't believe the NFL, sometimes. I mean, I can - it's a system wherein money and fame makes rapists and murderers go free, but damn you if you smoke a plant!

TRUF!

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm totally behind suing and embarrassing the league over this stage 1 vs stage 3 mishandling.

The part I can't get behind is when the league is painted as if they're violating basic human rights for drug testing for weed. Come on, an employer can fire you if you don't wear a blue polo to work if it's the company uniform and it's in the contract. You sign what you sign. If it violates your moral code that your workplace drug tests you, stay unemployed.

Exittium

Reaction score
MadSweeney":2lyq3ecm said:
MadSweeney":2lyq3ecm said:
You guys are deluded about a lawsuit. He did it all to himself and has no one to blame but himself.

No, he failed one after 3 years in the NFL and getting tested over 200 times before he came up positive. Do you understand that? He was getting tested several times a month. He knew he was getting tested all the time and that that is not normal. He knew he was being tested and he still went and blazed up. You guys are venting on an issue that is irrelevant instead of venting on the responsible party, Brandon Browner. Yeah, it's a crappy rule but that should've been taken care of when he was newly back to the league, not years later and after he got caught.

Act like Seahawk fans, not Niner fans blaming everybody else. Browner screwed us. Anger should start and stop with him and only him.

What would you like to know. Here are the facts: Browner smoked an illegal (NFL wise) substance for which he was already on thin ice for previous infractions. Those tests he missed (and I agree it's a bad rule) were because he was already in the program. He was getting tested at least once a week. He knew at a minimum it would be 4 games if he got caught. But here's the ONLY necessary fact: BROWNER SMOKED POT WHEN HE KNEW HE WAS GOIING TO GET TESTED!!!!!! He's an idiot who let his team and fans down and likely cost himself an inordinate amount of money.[/quote]

See that in bold and Underlined ?? I think that is what your lacking, is facts. You keep arguing with people about something they've already stated about how they feel.. and Really most of us feel the same way and that is, THE PUNISH DOESN'T MATCH THE CRIME FOR SOMEONE WHO WASN'T IN THE NFL, THEREFORE SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN AN EARLIER STAGE WITH OH SAY A 4 GAME SUSPENSION (Maybe Nothing at all)... Now I don't know what about that you don't get? There's been at least 4 other members explaining to you what they were stating(which all pretty much in conclusion was the same thing). Yes he messed up, Yes he knew he messed up. BUT was the punishment one that matched the crime? NO. Why? Once again He was in the CFL not with the NFL and the two aren't even the same or work with each other. Therefore upon re entering the NFL he should have been "reset"...

And look most everyone but the NFL who is a hawks fan and understands or comprehends the NFLs substance abuse stages knows d@mn well this doesn't match due to his break and going up in the CFL, and his unemployment. As well im tired of people throwing in the excuses of PED's as to why he's in this stage, because its not.

Largent80

Reaction score
"I want to thank the Seahawks organization for the incredible opportunity they gave me when they took a chance on a player who was out of the NFL and playing in the CFL for 4 years," wrote Browner, who is 29. "I also want to thank all of my teammates, coaches, trainers, staff and the 12's for their support, respect, and friendship and for helping me grow into the player, father, and person I am today.

"I have been treated with nothing but first class by everyone associated with the Seattle Seahawks and for that I am forever grateful. Although I disagree with the circumstances surrounding my suspension, I accept responsibility for all of my actions and I apologize for any that causes any unflattering reflections of my family and the Seahawks."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2417811/Seah ... definitely

Seeker

Reaction score
NFL, we ALWAYS take it to court (asked David Stern), lets get ready to rumble.

Laloosh

Reaction score
So far, the most interesting report in the day following the suspension.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... drug-tests

Notable quotes (try to remember that I'm simply relaying information, not indicating who is factually accurate/inaccurate):

While the league on Wednesday upheld its own decision to suspend Browner, who was found to have a small quantity of marijuana in his system during a recent test -- he is technically suspended "indefinitely" and can apply for reinstatement in a year -- sources said the latest appeal was filed to Jeff Pash, the NFL's chief legal counsel, who could make a decision in consultation with Commissioner Roger Goodell that could usurp what was handed down Wednesday.

Further complicating this issue is the fact the NFL's own media arm has been reporting on this case, at times erroneously. Originally the NFL Network reported that Browner's most recent suspension was for "performance-enhancing drugs," which was incorrect and Schaffer said also took issue with a more recent NFL Network report that stated the media entity had obtained proof that Browner had received past notification of his need to take NFL-mandated drug tests because they were sent to Browner's mother (Browner has contested, sources said, that in fact the address the NFL had for him back when he entered the league as an undrafted free agent was for an old girlfriend with whom he long ago lost contact).

"This shows how out of touch the NFL is with its former players, especially its undrafted free agents," Schaffer said. "To sit there and say we sent a letter to his mother's address so therefore he got it -- are you kidding me?

"If we do not have a fair resolution to this, then it's a federal case," Schaffer said.

"There is another entire issue to this, which is: Do they have a right to do anything to a payer who is not a part of league, not a part of the collective bargaining agreement?" Schaffer said. "And they say if they test, then they also give treatment -- I've never once seen that they gave Brandon any treatment while he was out of the league.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Of course we'll wait for as many facts as we can get before rendering final judgement. But this looks for all the world like a giant powerful entity effing over the little guy not because it's important or it's necessary or it's right, but simply because it can. It's just a downer, is what it is.

The NFL asks us to invest our emotions in its product, and I've done this dutifully since this team came into being. I saw this loyalty repaid with XL and Mike Pereira's clumsy, disingenuous attempts to justify what was the worst screw-job in big time sports since Munich '72. And now, when that wound is on the verge of healing, when I've got the team I've waited my whole life to watch -- a dynasty in the making -- the league decides to take a big, steaming sh!t right in the middle of it. It's repellent. And it's alienating.

How am I supposed to invest in a corporate entity that puts continuation of its infantile, counter-productive HR policy so far in front of other, more reasonable values like common sense or even mercy? Thanks for nothing, NFL, and your legion of rich, suit-clad, self-important attorneys. Merry Christmas.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawk45":1ug04rtn said:
I'm totally behind suing and embarrassing the league over this stage 1 vs stage 3 mishandling.

The part I can't get behind is when the league is painted as if they're violating basic human rights for drug testing for weed. Come on, an employer can fire you if you don't wear a blue polo to work if it's the company uniform and it's in the contract. You sign what you sign. If it violates your moral code that your workplace drug tests you, stay unemployed.

yeah, they're violating our basic human rights. How about if they say in the contract that we get fired if we don't sacrifice our first born on Winter Solstice?

I mean IT'S IN THE FREAKING CONTRACT RIGHT?!?

It's illegal to take away people's rights they are legally entitled to the pursuit of happiness. So it's one thing when a guy agrees to wear a polo shirt, but to make demands on how they live their lives outside of the workplace is totalitarian and onerous and just because they have economic leverage - go unemployed and starve if you don't agree to it - does not make it right. It's still a violation of our basic rights.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawk45":2odjrmzw said:

Drug testing for weed isn't the issue. The issue is the requirement that you be yield to drug tests while not employed by the any team in the NFL and not living nor employed in this country and failing to do so yields discipline. Separately that the league claims these tests remain confidential, yet the league itself spreads false and malicious reports through their own media outlet about PED usage that they knew to be false.

If you expect 100% compliance from the player, the league must be held to the same 100% standard. Which, coincidentally, is exactly the same argument Richard Sherman used to successfully overturn his suspension.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Basis4day":2bsb3y1d said:
Drug testing for weed isn't the issue. The issue is the requirement that you be yield to drug tests while not employed by the any team in the NFL and not living nor employed in this country and failing to do so yields discipline. Separately that the league claims these tests remain confidential, yet the league itself spreads false and malicious reports through their own media outlet about PED usage that they knew to be false.

If you expect 100% compliance from the player, the league must be held to the same 100% standard. Which, coincidentally, is exactly the same argument Richard Sherman used to successfully overturn his suspension.

Also find it interesting (if true) that The NFL Network reported that they had obtained proof that Browner had been notified about the testing requirements.

... Schaffer said also took issue with a more recent NFL Network report that stated the media entity had obtained proof that Browner had received past notification of his need to take NFL-mandated drug tests because they were sent to Browner's mother (Browner has contested, sources said, that in fact the address the NFL had for him back when he entered the league as an undrafted free agent was for an old girlfriend with whom he long ago lost contact).

Weadoption

Reaction score
Weed just flat out needs to be looked at differently in the nfl, as is happening in almost every other corner of our culture.
This kind of thing is almost impossible in the NBA.
I think on the 5th offense they make u watch a video or some shit.

Cartire

Reaction score
What I find interesting is that until the suspension was officially issued, the league is required to maintain confidentiality on the subject. I understand if a random reporter gets info, he is not held to that standard, but I would think the leagues own media site would have to adhere to said rules.

Is NFL.com (and the nfl in general) not held liable for reporting on such issues prior to them being officially released?

Polaris

Reaction score
Cartire":3r92iua7 said:
Is NFL.com (and the nfl in general) not held liable for reporting on such issues prior to them being officially released?

I would think so. I am virtually certain that is one avenue of attack that Browner and his agent will use in their lawsuit (esp in conjunction with the fact that the NFL's own site got the story WRONG....and they will argue maliciously so).