5 NFL Players Suspended for Gambling

kidhawk

Reaction score

4 of the 5 were Lions and the 5th was from Washington.

3 players were suspended indefinitely for betting on NFL games, while the other 2 were suspended for 6 games for making mobile bets from Allen Park (Lions Stadium).

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

4 of the 5 were Lions and the 5th was from Washington.

3 players were suspended indefinitely for betting on NFL games, while the other 2 were suspended for 6 games for making mobile bets from Allen Park (Lions Stadium).

Why would any player be so dumb? Just call your cousin or your girlfriend.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Absolute hypocrisy. The NFL is in bed with Draft Kings and just moved a franchise to Vegas. But the players can't gamble...

There is no rule prohibiting gambling. The rules broken here are Gambling on actual NFL Games and gambling within an NFL facility. We all have rules wherever we work that must be followed. Not gambling on NFL games is an absolute no go by players which is why those players were given the indefinite (minimum 1 year) suspensions while the other two were caught gambling in their NFL facility. They weren't betting on NFL games, so their punishment is lighter. This one, I can see an argument for it not being a big issue. It shouldn't really matter where you are at when you place the bets, but betting on the NFL is something that the NFL cannot allow by it's players.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
There is no rule prohibiting gambling. The rules broken here are Gambling on actual NFL Games and gambling within an NFL facility. We all have rules wherever we work that must be followed. Not gambling on NFL games is an absolute no go by players which is why those players were given the indefinite (minimum 1 year) suspensions while the other two were caught gambling in their NFL facility. They weren't betting on NFL games, so their punishment is lighter. This one, I can see an argument for it not being a big issue. It shouldn't really matter where you are at when you place the bets, but betting on the NFL is something that the NFL cannot allow by it's players.
I agree with the caveat that they should be allowed to bet on their own team winning. The hypocrisy of keeping the rule about gambling within an NFL facility was already pointed out in this thread, but it is still in place and it is up to the employee to comply.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Fieldgulls notes…

While my “which players will get suspended for gambling” ticket is officially in shambles, this news is potentially relevant to the Seattle Seahawks given Williams figured to be a huge part of Detroit’s passing offense now that he’s recovered from his ACL tear. The Seahawks are at the Lions for a second season in a row, and depending on when that game is scheduled, Williams could miss the Seattle showdown just as he did last year.

So what’s the spread on this Possibility?

Scout

Reaction score
I am constantly amazed and confused by the stupidity of some guys with LITERAL multimillion dollar WINNING lottery tickets, and the ways in which they choose to just completely shred, douse with kerosene, and take a blow torch to them. 🙄

Nothing surprises me anymore. The NFL simply does a poor job helping young players adjust into the league.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Nothing surprises me anymore. The NFL simply does a poor job helping young players adjust into the league.

Honestly, cheating the rules is extremely easy. You don’t even have to call your cousin, you can just install a cheap vpn and Run the bets on “his” account.

flv2

Reaction score
Honestly, cheating the rules is extremely easy. You don’t even have to call your cousin, you can just install a cheap vpn and Run the bets on “his” account.
It's not as simple as most people would assume. Using offshore books creates a potential legal issue. US books have software to detect and block out of state bets. Plenty of people have issues with New York books in and around New York border areas because their devices show out of state id or IPs, even if the device is in state. Typically books suspend accounts and seize funds until irregularities are sorted out.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Gambling should never be against work rules, no matter where you work. It's harmless.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I mean, players shouldn't be able to bet on their own games. But that's a very specific thing. I'm talking about the 99.9999% of gambling that takes place in workplaces.

Rainger

Reaction score
More Refs have money on the games through proxies than the players and they are in the position way more than the players to help their bets.

Rainger

Reaction score
It's not as simple as most people would assume. Using offshore books creates a potential legal issue. US books have software to detect and block out of state bets. Plenty of people have issues with New York books in and around New York border areas because their devices show out of state id or IPs, even if the device is in state. Typically books suspend accounts and seize funds until irregularities are sorted out.
Naw you can subscribe to a betting site here in Australia that works with all the sports books in countries around the world to bet on any game.

Anyone in the USA could use Nord VPN pretend to be located in Australia and bet on NFL games from Australia. Or you could contact me and I could bet for you lol.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I agree with the caveat that they should be allowed to bet on their own team winning. The hypocrisy of keeping the rule about gambling within an NFL facility was already pointed out in this thread, but it is still in place and it is up to the employee to comply.

Whose job is it to monitor every bet of every single franchise employee and every league employee?

We're talking about a league that won't even make officials full-time, year-round employees.