Baker Mayfield: Seahawks most likely option

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Throwing one in the dirt is exactly the pass I would throw in Mayfield's direction, with no chance for it to be caught or intercepted. I'm not a Lock fan but I view them as pretty much equals in skill level. We already have Lock, who has an immeasurably better attitude. If we're going to get another QB let's at least try to find one that is an improvement on what we have.
This^^^

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I hate this type of thinking. It's not logical and it's not always accurate, at all. "He must have skill because he was a #1." - Just, no.
JaMarcus Russell was also #1 overall when he was drafted. 'Nuff said about that.

I'm with Roland. "No" to Mayfield, especially at $18.9M fully guaranteed, and an even firmer "no" if the Seahawks have to give up draft capital for the "privilege" of paying a backup-quality QB almost $19M. The "no" is shouted at the limits of my voice if Mayfield demands a contract extension to play this year.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
You guys really think Baker is that bad? He has a bad year for sure, but the year before that he was great I think.

Baker Mayfield Football GIF by Progressive

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I thought he improved but the Browns had a great roster. Baker's lack of arm strength is bothersome

fullquartpress

Reaction score
I watched Archie play in Ole Miss, Archie was an idol, Baker ain't Archie.
I re-watdhed Archie highlights at Ole Miss, New Orleans, and Houston, and he was better than Baker. I think Baker makes good TV commercials...as good or better than Archie, Peyton, Eli, or Cooper.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
You guys really think Baker is that bad? He has a bad year for sure, but the year before that he was great I think.
I don't know if 'Baker is that bad', and judging is complicated by the 2021 injuries he played through. His receivers may have been overrated, and he may have been slightly off target to them. The 2020 game vs Steelers, before the January 2021Wildcard Game vs Steelers was memorable because of all the passes dropped by Cleveland receivers, and it would take a whole game replay to see all of those drops.
Selfishly, I'd prefer to see Baker back up Brady this year...or even the opposite of that starter/backup relationship.

Own The West

Reaction score
Why do people keep thinking he's coming to us? Why not Carolina or Pittsburg or even the Texans?

We already have a guy just like him. Why would we want two?

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Why do people keep thinking he's coming to us? Why not Carolina or Pittsburg or even the Texans?

We already have a guy just like him. Why would we want two?
1. Lock, to me, is not 'just like' Baker.
2. A team could want two, if the two had similar attributes like, for example, Baker and Keenum.
3. McAdoo at Carolina apparently never thought Baker was worth a 1st round grade. Pittsburgh, maybe, their GM is retiring soon, I think, or maybe they're thrilled to have Trubisky and Rudolph.
4. Why not the Bears, or Eagles, or Cardinals, or even the 49ers?
So many teams with experimental, apparently disposable, quarterbacks.
I could add Giants, but they're trying to show support for Jones.
I could add Baltimore: was Lamar's 'bone bruise' really a broken bone?

Jville

Reaction score
Here is an article on Mayfield from PFT.com

This situation is something that might still be in the works but the news of the day that QB- Geno Smith has reached terms with the team seems to indicate to the contrary.

Somehow I doubt this trade will ever happen, in this both Cleveland and Mayfield have handled this situation poorly.

Breach of trust is extremely hard and most often impossible to overcome.

The Mayfield / Browns story has become a very messy divorce. Looks like a pre-draft trade is improbable. Value will drop further post draft. They are stuck with each other for the time being.

So happy to be a Seahawks fan.

BASF

Reaction score
Won't work. Too many posters here rely on the race card if the Seahawks QB is fairly judged on their performance.

toffee

Reaction score

Baker Mayfield Football GIF by Progressive
In the past couple of years, Baker's record was better than Lock and Geno, no doubt about it. What he has not shown in those years? Being a franchise QB that could carry his team, so if he couldn't do that, why should we invest in a deluxe version of Geno and Lock?

Now if Cleveland were to eat most of his $, and willing to trade for a lower round draft pick?

flv2

Reaction score
...If I was Baker when Watson gets suspended? I hold out and refuse to come to camp until I'm traded with a new deal in place.
I don't see how getting fined $40K per day would help Mayfield. The Browns could reduce or waive those fines, but I don't see why they would. Effectively reducing Mayfield's pay could potentially improve the Browns negotiating position.

Much better for him to get a hard to diagnose bad back or a tight hamstring.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have Corral or Ridder in the 2nd than give up mid round pick and take on his Salary.

Jville

Reaction score
come on Hawks, bring in Baker.......

What's the rush? Baker and the Browns have yet to settle on a divorce procedure. Kyler Murray and the Cardinals are quite possibly headed for a follow up divorce of their own. And, the Hawks already have traded for a reclamation project in Drew Lock.

Heck, given the urgency and speed with which NFL teams and agents are wrecking the careers of young prospects, there will be no shortage of QB reclamation projects for the foreseeable future.

I like the signing of Geno Smith. He's seen what impatient teams can do to prospects. He knows that road of destruction. That brings value to the Seahawks QB room and coaching staff.

Exploiting the impatience of other teams is a viable option. Developmental patience is often an overlooked secret sauce.