Austin Calitro Cut, re-signed fullback Nick Bellore

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm ok with the move.

You keep the salary structure down by refreshing the backup roles with rookie contracts. It is a constant turnover based upon impending veteran minimum salary. Even if it is done a year or two before the rookie deals are completed. It allows the staff to address other needs in the next two years. Obviously, the staff likes the new young blood in the linebacker room.

Any player that is not deemed a "core player" will face of day of reckoning when his rookie deal expires.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sounds like Pete didn't expect him back either. Not because he's not wanted, but likely other opportunities.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I liked AC..He played hard and tried the best he could
But sometimes that alone is just not enough.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
xray":254fddlm said:
Scorpion05":254fddlm said:
Shaquem had one really bad game. Good grief, Calitro has made mistakes on the field too.

Perception seriously is reality on this board. All these absolute declarations that Shaquem is just a feel good story who can’t do anything and he HAS NOT even played in his 2nd year lol. Calitro meanwhile has already been on 3 different teams
Shaquem is not a NFL LB. He stays for STs . That's it . IMO

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinion. But...what exactly is this based on?

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":31zxmjk3 said:
Very surprised.

FB is a thing of the past

Disagree, Mike Rob and Reece helped a lot, problem is a good FB has to see the gaps and know what the defense is doing and his RB's tendencies to be a real effective guy, helps if he can be a pass catcher also.

We have tried to find a replacement for Mike Rob for a while and Reece was very good but he was on the downside of his career when he got here anyway.

For a team that says it wants to be run dominant you almost need a FB for shirt yardage I would think unless your Bevell and have Lynch and just want to fool a coach going away from your strengths.

rcaido

Reaction score
Dont see what's all the hate with Griffin...The other Griffin though sucked last year. I think both will do better this year.

As for Calitro is not a major loss at all. Im sure if we ever really need an extra LB there will be one available if needed.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don’t really think it’s about Griffin, at least to me, I felt Calitro was the 4th best LBer on the team coming out of PS and the best pure back-up we ever had behind Bobby. I felt he earned it. Calitro might not have the upside or elite athleticism or team control as the all others but he looked like a really solid player that could command a defense.

But it’s not the end of the world, these young LBers all have great potential. All our LBers are versatile and It wouldn’t surprise me if Clowney got looks at SLB.

It just sucks for someone like Calitro to have made it, and to have earned it, consistently, a lot more so than a few players kept, only to be kicked to the curb after 2 days for a FB, no less, that really didn’t look all that dominant as a lead-blocker or on special teams.

I don’t think it’s just about Griffin, it’s about this sucks for Calitro, but fans don’t build the teams, so it’s whatever, if they felt that Calitro was their 53rd most expendable player, then that’s that. I will say though Bellore is going to stand out a lot more now and hopefully he brings it, or he’s gonna have deal with some shade.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Mick063":1dz0qikg said:
I'm ok with the move.

You keep the salary structure down by refreshing the backup roles with rookie contracts. It is a constant turnover based upon impending veteran minimum salary. Even if it is done a year or two before the rookie deals are completed. It allows the staff to address other needs in the next two years. Obviously, the staff likes the new young blood in the linebacker room.

Any player that is not deemed a "core player" will face of day of reckoning when his rookie deal expires.

:ditto:
And until the past couple drafts, this was not happening nearly enough. Glad to see all of the 2019 class making the roster.

I liked Calitro. I'd like to see him stick around too. He was always strong at the point of attack. Honestly, his range was always a limitation and his coverage ability created a liability.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Shequem might be among the league best ST already as only a 2nd year player. In the preseason game in limited action he caused a forced fumble on kickoff and made a couple tackles on punt return. Ultimately, three more years of club control for a key ST player with potential at SLB was worth more than a good backup (who we couldn't find a trade partner for) with 1 more year on his contract.

I don't like it but I get it. Lot of teams have one or two ST aces on their roster penned in the roster no matter what and good players like Calitro are cut because of that.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
xray":3rcharoo said:
Scorpion05":3rcharoo said:
Shaquem had one really bad game. Good grief, Calitro has made mistakes on the field too.

Perception seriously is reality on this board. All these absolute declarations that Shaquem is just a feel good story who can’t do anything and he HAS NOT even played in his 2nd year lol. Calitro meanwhile has already been on 3 different teams

And that's enough at that level of the roster. Calitro and Griffin were LB 5 and 7 in the depth chart and given you play 2 LB 70% of the time these days, every guy beyond Barton is there mostly for "potential" and "ST".

Griffin is a bigger impact Teams player than Calitro due to his speed advantage. That's enough at this stage.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I guess my question is just this. Why not Keep Bellore and cut Calitro on Saturday in the 1st place. The other ones made sense.. Smith was a temp roster free-up for Clowney,, J.Brown was to allow Dickson to go to IR. So what was the point of this move?

Fade

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":64byow1a said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seattlechawks/status/1168670670999433216[/tweet]

Makes sense.

Logically they didnt have enough room to keep him when you realize they have two young backers they need to develop. Barton & BBK.

You don't want Calitro taking their reps.

On to Griffin, he is too damn good on Special Teams to cut and he is on a rookie contract for 3 seasons.

Shame they couldn't get a 7th for Calitro.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Griffin has more athletic ability and often this team puts so much value in that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hope he lands back here, but it's pretty unlikely. I'll be pulling for the guy to start somewhere. Well, unless it's a team like the Clams

xray

Reaction score
Scorpion05":34fo7j5i said:
xray":34fo7j5i said:
Scorpion05":34fo7j5i said:

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinion. But...what exactly is this based on?

He was tried @ LB at the beginning of last season and he looked really bad . The Hawks have him listed as a LB ; but they won't play him there . He is on STs unless they have a rash of injuries on LBs.

Latest posts