Ask an Eagles fan

Tical21

Reaction score
What did you possibly do to make Sidney Jones not a superstar?

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
Tical21":1og7oqsy said:
What did you possibly do to make Sidney Jones not a superstar?

Your guess is as good as mine. We're not as bad at drafting CBs as we are WRs but we can never seem to get over the hump of "mediocre at best" there.

Weirdly enough though with the injuries he has had to play the past few games and has made some big time plays. He and Cre'von LeBlanc have looked much better than our starters vs Dal and NYG who don't have terrible offenses, so maybe something has clicked. But yeah overall he has been a massive disappointment.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/john_gonoude/status/1212764425708548096[/tweet]

This is since Schwartz took over in 2016. I'd argue our D has taken a step back over the past 2 years but still home-field advantage is huge for us. Pretty sure the number jumps up to the mid 20s in away games.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
Looking less and less likely that Lane Johnson will be able to play. Pryor/Vaitai are really good backups but Brooks/Johnson are one of the best G/T combos in the league. It would be a huge loss.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sucks that both teams have so many injuries. The Hawks have been decimated by total games missed all season long too. Should be an ugly but fun game. And one thing Eagles and Hawks fans can always agree on: Eff the Cowboys!

Largent80

Reaction score
You should start your backup QB and you will destroy us....Hahaha.

Seriously though we hosted a playoff game with a 7-9 record, and actually won it vs. the defending SB champs.

Anything can happen on any game day in this league. People saying it'll be and easy win have not been paying attention.

minormillikin

Reaction score
If someone was going to visit Philadelphia for a week, what part of town should they stay in for the best combination of safety/dining/sight-seeing/etc. and what's a good area to avoid?

And did they ever fix the crack in that bell?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't imagine anyone thinking or saying it will be an easy game. We all know this will be an ugly one and likely go down to the wire. Cool, playoff time.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":4935wit0 said:
Sucks that both teams have so many injuries. The Hawks have been decimated by total games missed all season long too. Should be an ugly but fun game. And one thing Eagles and Hawks fans can always agree on: Eff the Cowboys!

Preach!

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
minormillikin":2ir2j0bd said:
If someone was going to visit Philadelphia for a week, what part of town should they stay in for the best combination of safety/dining/sight-seeing/etc. and what's a good area to avoid?

And did they ever fix the crack in that bell?

Rittenhouse and Society Hill area are the nicest parts of town in center city. Rittenhouse is closer to the Schuykill river, art museum, park, zoo and is busier with a bit more in the way of nice restaurants. Society Hill is right next to Old City which is where the Liberty Bell/Independence plaza is. Some cool beer gardens around there if you go at the right time of year and even a Winter beer garden on the Delaware river. Old City can get touristy though.

Both are central enough to get places although maybe a bit pricy. If you don't want to be right in the downtown spots or the hotels in those areas are too expensive lean towards going south instead of north. Graduate Hospital is just South of Rittenhouse and Queen's Village/Washington Square West/Bella Vista are below Old City. Much more of a rowhome vibe but walkable everywhere and still plenty of food etc. Don't get anything right off of South street, especially on the East side of the city. It gets really busy and rowdy at night.

Passyunk Square and Northern Liberties are cool areas too but a little isolated if you want to explore.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What is the talk out in Philly about that team in general? Seems to me from out here in South Alaska that he has done his best ever coaching job. To lose that many guys, and really good guy etc. and finish that strong? It's impressive. Seems like you guys clearly hired the right guy. Wentz is a damn good QB too, what is the opinion of him overall from the Philly fanbase. I know that can be quite the tough crowd out there. He looked very tentative against the Hawks last time. But the way he played in December, I expect a totally different QB.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":397msfl8 said:
What is the talk out in Philly about that team in general? Seems to me from out here in South Alaska that he has done his best ever coaching job. To lose that many guys, and really good guy etc. and finish that strong? It's impressive. Seems like you guys clearly hired the right guy. Wentz is a damn good QB too, what is the opinion of him overall from the Philly fanbase. I know that can be quite the tough crowd out there. He looked very tentative against the Hawks last time. But the way he played in December, I expect a totally different QB.

General consensus is that Pederson has done a fantastic job this year, although that's not without some caveats. Since replacing Reich and DeFillipo in 2017 the offense hasn't had the same dominant feel to it so some people are questioning if they were a big part of the play calling. Still it's hard to tell how much that has to do with injuries. His leadership skills and the locker room culture he has cultivated are pretty universally respected.

No one really questioned Wentz's talent level but there were other concerns. Wentz almost bought himself an "injury prone" label and there was some concern that he wouldn't be able to change his game and stay healthy. There was also concerns because he never played in a playoff game yet so could he handle the pressure of those big time games. Also some talk that he forced it to his safety blanket in Ertz too much without going through proper reads and finding the best option. He has pretty much silenced those critics after the second half of the year though. Guy has been lights out with mostly practice squad players and a beat up OL for this whole second half.

As far as this game, most people seem to think we COULD win but are kinda split on if we will given our injuries and how we played you last time. I would go as far as to say if we weren't at home most fans would predict a loss. Still we play much better D at home and had a strong finish to the year, Wentz is playing out of his mind, and Doug has proven himself super ballsy in the playoffs.

Largent80

Reaction score
The level of opponent play comes into question on your roll. Hawks lost 3 out of 4. 2 teams going in opposite directions it appears, but is it really?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Winning 5 games at home and 4 away, does it concern you or possibly the team that we have won more away games than we have home games?

Games for Philadelphia...

5-3 home SEA 4-4
4-4 away 7-1
5-1 Division 3-3
7-5 Conference 8-4

https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The stat I heard today on Wentz that is pretty damn impressive: He has thrown for over 4,000 yards, and not ONE of his receivers has more than 500 yards. Dayum

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
Largent80":1vjqxuyu said:
The level of opponent play comes into question on your roll. Hawks lost 3 out of 4. 2 teams going in opposite directions it appears, but is it really?

Definitely helps that we played (at least) 2 bad teams. NFC East divisional matchups are almost always closer games than they should be. Felt good to hold one of the better offenses in the league in Cowboys to zero TDs though.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":32o8si9l said:
Winning 5 games at home and 4 away, does it concern you or possibly the team that we have won more away games than we have home games?

Games for Philadelphia...

5-3 home SEA 4-4
4-4 away 7-1
5-1 Division 3-3
7-5 Conference 8-4

https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings

Eh not in and of itself. I'd still much rather face you on our turf than your own. But overall I think it shows the Hawks are disciplined and tough team that they can do damage in other team's house. I don't have the numbers off hand but even outside this year I seem to remember Wilson whooping up on us pretty regularly when we've met.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1aekuprv said:
The stat I heard today on Wentz that is pretty damn impressive: He has thrown for over 4,000 yards, and not ONE of his receivers has more than 500 yards. Dayum

Ertz had over 900. But yeah it's pretty insane. Fans are basically clamoring for a first round impact WR to give him. Hell I'm even excited to see what he and DeSean Jackson can do together.

sutz

Reaction score
DEagle7":3u9dkgvu said:
SoulfishHawk":3u9dkgvu said:

Ertz had over 900. But yeah it's pretty insane. Fans are basically clamoring for a first round impact WR to give him. Hell I'm even excited to see what he and DeSean Jackson can do together.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that stat was for no WRs with over 500, which is still pretty remarkable. QBs almost always have their fave WR they go to when games are on the line.