Another possible reach??

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":2chbpz0p said:
We currently have an embarrassment of riches at the DE spot with the trade for Clowney and Ansah returning this week - Collier is a full participant in practice, but no need to rush him back. We had other roster spots we needed depth at, so Collier didn't get the nod this week.

Me thinks thou dost protest/complain too much ;)

Penny may have been a bit of a reach, but he's shown good burst when in space.....we just have not used him very well situationaly.

And I get the complaint about Carson's fumbles...but most have been great punchouts on nice runs by Carson....I think he needs to find a way to hold onto and control those, but I honestly think that most backs in the NFL fumble on those punch-outs.

Hasn't Clowney been pretty bad this year? PFF has him rated very low and his pressure rate, sacks and even just tackles in general are all looking very poor.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":35akipma said:
^^^^^^^ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^
Piss & Moaners gunna Piss & Moan.....They fancy themselves to be WAYYYY better at evaluating talent than the Pros & Scouts.

Why not just post that shit in a signature then post a fun picture so we are entertained??

You say something close to that in every thread that disturbs you (which is many BTW) :roll:

It is a discussion on a possible problem area in drafting. If you think Pete makes good use of high draft picks then give us and example. I'm all ears.........for now.

:snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
QuickLightning":3ldx0zdi said:
Chrome_Seahawk":3ldx0zdi said:
We currently have an embarrassment of riches at the DE spot with the trade for Clowney and Ansah returning this week - Collier is a full participant in practice, but no need to rush him back. We had other roster spots we needed depth at, so Collier didn't get the nod this week.

Penny may have been a bit of a reach, but he's shown good burst when in space.....we just have not used him very well situationaly.

And I get the complaint about Carson's fumbles...but most have been great punchouts on nice runs by Carson....I think he needs to find a way to hold onto and control those, but I honestly think that most backs in the NFL fumble on those punch-outs.

Hasn't Clowney been pretty bad this year? PFF has him rated very low and his pressure rate, sacks and even just tackles in general are all looking very poor.

Clowney's definitely tailed off since the first game. Could be he's now being double teamed, could be he just went up against two of the top 5 offensive lines in the entire league in Pittsburgh and NO. Could be his stamina isn't up to speed yet and he's playing too many snaps cause our backups and now Ansah stink.

Idk, but if there's one thing I do know, Arizona's O-line is a great line to bounce back with. They're awful.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2xaid3e2 said:
AgentDib":2xaid3e2 said:
It would be nice to see the team work Collier in more as the season progresses and that applies to Blair as well. I like what we're getting from Barton, BBK and Ugo but they need to clean up the penalties.

That being said, "reach" is a concept made up by fans after reading too many mock drafts. Finding good players is what matters, not what a player was listed at on a consensus mock draft big board on the internet somewhere. It's too early to say much about the 2019 draft class but here's what a pundit thought about the biggest reach in 2018.

The Indianapolis Colts' selection of South Carolina State linebacker Darius Leonard with the fourth pick in the second round was one of the draft's worst moves. They took four second-rounders, so they had plenty of room for error, but this one stands out as a head-scratcher... For whatever reason, we woke up Friday in a world where Indianapolis thought taking an FCS linebacker in the top 40 was a good idea.

With the benefit of hindsight, 31 NFL teams wish they had "reached" for Darius Leonard earlier than the Colts did. NFL teams aren't and shouldn't be afraid of drafting a player earlier than mock drafters think they should go if they think that's the right player for them. As fans, we can judge whether those picks turn out to be good NFL players but it's silly to talk about where players were supposed to go.
^^^^^^^ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^
Piss & Moaners gunna Piss & Moan.....They fancy themselves to be WAYYYY better at evaluating talent than the Pros & Scouts.
Not a single person on this thread anyway said that at all.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2qev2872 said:
Chrome_Seahawk":2qev2872 said:

Haven't you heard what a great deal that was??

Ohh.....you don't have JJ Watt to take the doubles away??

Woops? :roll:

Great 1st quarter player though. Too bad we can't win in the first quarter per Pete. We sure can lose it there as last week indicated though (2nd).

D

DomeHawk

Seymour":24z3c47d said:
Collier was ready to play last Sunday and was a healthy scratch from the 53. This to me is another concern for our top 1st round picks.

Last 4 top picks are getting to be a real concern, and it could be argued this loss of value is taking a big toll on our talent level overall.

2015 Ifedi -- definite reach and costing us every week
2016 McDowell -- ignored red flags never played a down
2017 Penny -- 1st round RB's should beat out fumbling 7th round picks...- Reach
2018 Collier -- jurries out still but early indications for a 1st round pick are not good

Thoughts??

Correct, we are absolutely terrible at 1st rd picks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
3 games in and Collier is a horrible pick? We somehow already know that? The other 3, not so awesome.
Plenty of 1st round picks around the league don't see the field much and/or don't produce right away.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2u3qvndx said:
Clowney bad? oh dear sweet fake man in the clouds, make it stop.

Nobody said he is "bad". PFF and others have noticed he is not exactly living up to early hype AT THIS POINT. that is the observation. Bad would be Marsh whom he replaced. Show me anyone even indicating he is at that level.

My observations about Watt taking the majority of double teams is fair also IMO, I stand by that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. I see Clowney getting held over and over again. And getting doubled.
In fact, I watched him get literally turned around on a hold in the END ZONE, which should have been a safety. Right in front of the ref, no call of course.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Well I still feel he will contribute and come on later. And for the cost is still a bargain. He's just not been the force he was hyped to be quite yet. Who knows why for sure. Possibly Reed next to him helps?

knownone

Reaction score
Surprised no one mentioned the real reason L.J was inactive aside from Ansah being back; Rasheem Green is starting to put things together and might actually become a difference maker. I wouldn't be shocked if he has a breakout game at some point this season.

mikeak

Reaction score
We went into the draft thinking DE was a major concern. We got a bit lucky and put the pieces in there after the draft with Clowney and Zuliggy back earlier than expected. Yes Reed was expected to be on roster but he will be back. Not yet worried about Collier starting or not

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sounds like Collier was another healthy scratch this week? :shock:

Not a great trend we are seeing from him at this point.

Seems like it only will get worse for him when Reed comes back since we've been rotating DE's into DT position on passing situations.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Collier will be on the active roster when Pete decides that he is ready. I'm not worried.

Too many of you are being too critical imo.

cheese22

Reaction score
I actually think it could be beneficial to not have to throw a rookie into a n important role, no matter where they get drafted. If he can watch and learn for a year from a couple good DE's, it may mean more about the quality ahead of him and not be about his lack of progress.
They don't seem to force feeð many rookies, RW being the exception. I think next year at this point we'll forget about how slowly they brought him along to begin his career.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Pete Carroll and Schneider always reach. They don't grade players like normal teams do, unfortunately this has led to some really bad first round drafting. I never liked the idea of Collier, especially with Darnell Savage being available. Our secondary at the safety position was also quite suspect with Bradley McDonald and Tedric Thompson being our starters.

Our drafting definitely is not what it used to be. We've passed on a lot of top tier talent in the first round only to draft irrelevant players. We've had some luck in the later rounds, but is still is not what it used to be. We've definitely have slowed down.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":pwo282ug said:

Seems like it only will get worse for him when Reed comes back since we've been rotating DE's into DT position on passing situations.

Once Reed gets back we will cut Jackson and Collier will be activated more often. Right now we have an embarassment of riches at DE with Clowney, Ansah and Green all showing up weekly.

Collier missed all of preseason so he's behind everyone that's been in the system. And he's not a special teamer so he's a prime candidate for healthy scratch position right now.

Poona Ford was a frequent healthy scratch last year and he looks pretty darn good right now. If you don't need to lean on rookies, then your team is in pretty good shape. That's how I see things. The only rookies we've typically started have been OL and that's because that position group has been crap for years on end.

Bottomline is I'm fine if Clowney's presence allows us to red shirt Collier for a year. We will need him next year as both Clowney and Ansah are FA's.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
A couple of great points about special teams and Ford last year MD. :2thumbs:

I hope you are correct!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mad Dog":34w6stpz said:
Seymour":34w6stpz said:

Once Reed gets back we will cut Jackson and Collier will be activated more often. Right now we have an embarassment of riches at DE with Clowney, Ansah and Green all showing up weekly.

Collier missed all of preseason so he's behind everyone that's been in the system. And he's not a special teamer so he's a prime candidate for healthy scratch position right now.

Poona Ford was a frequent healthy scratch last year and he looks pretty darn good right now. If you don't need to lean on rookies, then your team is in pretty good shape. That's how I see things. The only rookies we've typically started have been OL and that's because that position group has been crap for years on end.

Bottomline is I'm fine if Clowney's presence allows us to red shirt Collier for a year. We will need him next year as both Clowney and Ansah are FA's.
I think Collier is not playing because he's not very good. Never was impressed by him. Reminds me of a Tapp sort of character. Tapp was good at stopping the run but he was not a very good pass rusher. Really surprised we drafted Collier to be honest with you. Kind of seemed like a "you'll do" panic pick since Clark departed and there was a run on defensive ends. He absolutely was a reach, and at best I suspect he's just going to be a role player.

Latest posts