ALDS - Seattle Mariners at Houston Astros Oct 11-17

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Game 1 was such a gut-punch that I don't really feel much in response to Game 2.
That’s similar to how I felt. I wasn’t even that upset. Hard get upset after what happened in game 1.

At this point, I’m just hopeful for a home win. It would be cool for the city.

Still don’t think we are done. Would not surprise me if this goes back to Houston. Outside of the two Alvarez HR’s, we have either played them even or outplayed them.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Game 3 will be the test. If they win next 2 and go to houston? They will win gm 5

Rainger

Reaction score
Game 3 will be the test. If they win next 2 and go to houston? They will win gm 5
Sorry as much as I love your enthusiasm, the Astros have owned the Mariners for 5 years. NO way Seattle wins 3 in a row against this Astros team.

Do I want to be wrong? You damn right I do, but they had to take one of those games in Houston, 2 would have been better.

It is all over rover. Enjoy that they finally got to the playoffs and look forward to next year. (these statements don't mean I am not screaming inside for 3 wins but, I know it will not happen.)

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Tough loss again, but not as bad as Tuesday. Yeah, the 'Stros are a better team, but we're close. We do need to win Saturday if we want to make that statement. Getting swept would suck balls. We've gone farther than most people thought we could. Not gonna hang my head on that score.

Yeah, it sucks, but losing in the divisional round would hardly be "same old Mariners." Hardly anybody makes the Series on their first trip to the playoffs. And hell no, I don't want to fire Servais, who's taken us farther than any manager since Lou Piniella. He's made some mistakes, but so does everybody. They've built something here that looks like a solid base moving forward. The young guys have made their rookie mistakes and will be better going forward. There are still some solid prospects in the farm system to bring up and work into the system.

So, not listening to the Negative Nellies. Go Mariners!

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
bullpen is good.. bullpen is inexperienced. I think if they had a year, they will be shutdown.
We'll see. They can't possibly revamp the whole thing, which isn't needed. Add a complete stud closer though.
Yes. I honestly don't consider myself a baseball expert btw but I don't get these moves. Forget the idea of bringing in Ray as your closer for one sec, what was the point in pulling Gilbert at 84 pitches with a 4 run lead, but milking Castillo up past 100 pitches when HOU has the lead?
Castillo is leagues ahead of Gilbert. Don't get me wrong, I really like Gilbert. He has a bright future ahead of him, but he's no Castillo.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Think they could add a true save guy to the pen as well as a lefty.

What sucks is we are paying Ray like an ace and he will likely be our #4 starter next season.
We do have an opt out after year 3, which is looking like we should strongly consider. Diaz and deGromm from the Mets both will hit FA this period.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It seems everytime Seattle plays the *’s, the Seattle mistakes either managerial or on the field are magnified, and every break or call seems to go the *’s way. I think it’s clear *’s talent level is a bit higher than Seattle’s and their old fossil of a manager out manages SS routinely, but the results shouldn’t be so extreme.

Well at least we know where the holes are on this team and hope ownership/front office can fix this off-season.

It’s not over yet but feels like it is. I’m not getting the ‘95 feeling where after losing the first 2 to a very good yankee team, that Seattle would come back and win 3 in a row. I would have bet everything I had back then, that Seattle would win that series after going down 0-2. I felt it that strongly.

I hope I’m wrong and get to come back to eat a plate full of crow.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few people talking about a "closer". This team has guys they could have put into that role. They're purposely using their guys differently though, and it's what has helped them win so many 1 run games over the past few years. They don't use a closer in the traditional sense. That is an old philosophy that this team has moved on from. The analytics show that it's better to use your best pitcher when you need them, not to save them for the 9th inning just to be a closer.

They do need another guy or two that they can rely on to do more of what they've been doing all year though. Ride the hot hand, use your best pitchers against their best hitters or in the most crucial situations to close the door. Specifically a dominant lefty would be a big addition to this BP.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah don’t think they need a guy to play the closer role, but they probably could add another shutdown arm in the pen, perhaps a guy who has been a closer.

It makes sense to add to the pen as regression is always a possibility going into next season.

The bullpen is still very good, but I will say they clearly don’t trust the mid guys that much (festa, murfee, Boyd, etc). They need another guy like Munoz they feel comfortable putting in a playoff one run game.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Kinda sucks the game here will be smokey lots of smoke this weekend. Wonder if it will affect the players .

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tough watching Cleveland take 1 and PHI up 2-1.

TheLost

Reaction score
Think they could add a true save guy to the pen as well as a lefty.

What sucks is we are paying Ray like an ace and he will likely be our #4 starter next season.
At least it is not football with a crippling salary cap.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few people talking about a "closer". This team has guys they could have put into that role. They're purposely using their guys differently though, and it's what has helped them win so many 1 run games over the past few years. They don't use a closer in the traditional sense. That is an old philosophy that this team has moved on from. The analytics show that it's better to use your best pitcher when you need them, not to save them for the 9th inning just to be a closer.

They do need another guy or two that they can rely on to do more of what they've been doing all year though. Ride the hot hand, use your best pitchers against their best hitters or in the most crucial situations to close the door. Specifically a dominant lefty would be a big addition to this BP.
Munoz has top notch closer stuff if they could get him to throw his 103mph fastball more.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Munoz has been the closer except when he's done pitching there's still game left.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sorry as much as I love your enthusiasm, the Astros have owned the Mariners for 5 years. NO way Seattle wins 3 in a row against this Astros team.

Do I want to be wrong? You damn right I do, but they had to take one of those games in Houston, 2 would have been better.

It is all over rover. Enjoy that they finally got to the playoffs and look forward to next year. (these statements don't mean I am not screaming inside for 3 wins but, I know it will not happen.)
I didnt say they would win 3 in a row. I said test is game 3 and if they win 2 in a row, they will win game 5 in houston.

Could end tomorrow.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Funny how life is. Dusty Baker replace there pitcher and brought in a LHP to face Cal. Cal's power is as a LHH. He got out. I heard it was a smart move by people.

It wasnt. You allowed Cal to hit from his power side. Difference? That pitcher executed.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Funny how life is. Dusty Baker replace there pitcher and brought in a LHP to face Cal. Cal's power is as a LHH. He got out. I heard it was a smart move by people.

It wasnt. You allowed Cal to hit from his power side. Difference? That pitcher executed.
Great post.

Coaches look like geniuses when their decisions work out, even if they may have been the wrong decision.

I thought it was weird that Dusty let Cal hit from his better side, and how long he left Montero in there.

If Ray gets Alvarez out in the 9th, Servais is the smartest man in MLB.