Aaron Donald highest paid non qb player ever

QWERTY

Reaction score
If I was a Rams fan, I wouldnt be happy that he's getting paid that much. First, he won a superbowl and if he wants to win more rings, he has to take a pay cut. He said out loud he didn't mind retiring, but that was a big bluff and he won. They just won the championship, and he's still 31 years old , and not in his late 30s.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Believe what you want. I have a right to my opinion. And I'm not alone. F the Rams and their own set of rules.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Believe what you want. I have a right to my opinion. And I'm not alone. F the Rams and their own set of rules.

OK. I'm just asking you to clarify your opinion. What exactly are you accusing the Rams of doing that's outside the rules for the rest of the teams?

I don't understand what exactly you think they're doing that's wrong.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There's no way in hell they could magically afford all these stars. But people will continue to believe that what they want, I stick to my opinion.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
There's no way in hell they could magically afford all these stars. But people will continue to believe that what they want, I stick to my opinion.

The numbers are public. Go look at overthecap.com and/or spotrac.com. Every team's cap situation is detailed, with each contract broken down, on both sites. Spotrac has one feature overthecap doesn't that I love: it shows where a team can realistically get out of a contract, and a description of what the contract is likely to end up being, which is often (due to voidable years and non-guaranteed money) very different from the widely reported numbers that include ridiculous sums on the back end that are unlikely to be paid. On the other hand, overthecap's numbers tend to be more reliably correct than spotrac's.

As for how the Rams can "afford" the stars on their team, first, I assume you mean "fit under the cap" here, because every NFL team, even bad ones like the Lions, are immensely profitable and have cash flows that are much bigger than the $200M or so necessary to pay a full-cap team, so every NFL team could afford significantly more than a full cap if the rules allowed it. On sites like spotrac and overthecap, how the Rams can and do fit the stars they have under the cap is spelled out in great detail.

Since you have so far been unable to cite even a single example of the Rams doing anything outside the salary-cap rules, I'll lower the bar even though I shouldn't, since you're just making wild unfounded accusations and I'm the one defending fact-based analysis: what specifically do you see the Rams doing with the salary cap that's outside even the spirit of the rules? I'm asking you to cite just one example of the Rams doing something even questionable on the cap.

I don't like the Rams, and I've seen clear examples in recent years of officials making awful, awful calls and non-calls that favored the Rams and helped them advance, but I don't know of any examples even of anything questionable in the Rams' adherence to the salary-cap rules, much less any clear violations.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Agree to disagree

Just so we're clear, if you can't even cite a single example of something that might be questionable in the Rams' salary-cap situation, but you insist on accusing the Rams of cheating on the salary cap, you're not disagreeing with me. You're disagreeing with reality.

If you presented a single example of something questionable, and we came to different conclusions based on the data, then it would be a disagreement between your view of what the facts mean and my view of what the facts mean. But since you continue to be unable to do so, even when I lowered the bar drastically (from citing an example of something the Rams are doing that violates the rules to citing an example of anything even questionable), you're just making wild accusations with absolutely no basis in facts. You are disagreeing with reality itself to make false accusations.

You say the Rams are cheating on the salary cap, but you can't provide even a single example of anything questionable that they've done, much less an example of them violating the salary-cap rules, even though all the details of every NFL team's contracts are public and easy to access. If you want to make accusations, you really ought to be ready to back them up.

Making false accusations without any factual basis is not a good look.

If the Rams were cheating on the salary cap, don't you think the other 31 teams would complain? When the refs make bad calls favoring a team, other teams complain. Do you really think the other owners would allow the Rams to have different salary-cap rules than the other 31 teams in the NFL?

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The numbers are public. Go look at overthecap.com and/or spotrac.com. Every team's cap situation is detailed, with each contract broken down, on both sites. Spotrac has one feature overthecap doesn't that I love: it shows where a team can realistically get out of a contract, and a description of what the contract is likely to end up being, which is often (due to voidable years and non-guaranteed money) very different from the widely reported numbers that include ridiculous sums on the back end that are unlikely to be paid. On the other hand, overthecap's numbers tend to be more reliably correct than spotrac's.

As for how the Rams can "afford" the stars on their team, first, I assume you mean "fit under the cap" here, because every NFL team, even bad ones like the Lions, are immensely profitable and have cash flows that are much bigger than the $200M or so necessary to pay a full-cap team, so every NFL team could afford significantly more than a full cap if the rules allowed it. On sites like spotrac and overthecap, how the Rams can and do fit the stars they have under the cap is spelled out in great detail.

Since you have so far been unable to cite even a single example of the Rams doing anything outside the salary-cap rules, I'll lower the bar even though I shouldn't, since you're just making wild unfounded accusations and I'm the one defending fact-based analysis: what specifically do you see the Rams doing with the salary cap that's outside even the spirit of the rules? I'm asking you to cite just one example of the Rams doing something even questionable on the cap.

I don't like the Rams, and I've seen clear examples in recent years of officials making awful, awful calls and non-calls that favored the Rams and helped them advance, but I don't know of any examples even of anything questionable in the Rams' adherence to the salary-cap rules, much less any clear violations.
Exactly. Soulfish is "that weird conspiracy guy". He thinks trading a 3rd rounder for a boatload of draft capital isn't building for the future. lol
He's a Russ apologist

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Get over yourself. I haven't been in the Russ corner since he left. Other than you saying Baker Mayfield is better than him, which is hilarious. And what the hell does our FORMER QB have to do with the Rams and their cap situation. Talk about reaching. F the Rams, is that clear enough for you?
You know nothing about me, and I'm certainly not the only one who thinks their cap is shady. And why do you care so much about someone else's opinion? Again, this is a MESSAGE BOARD. Don't like it, feel free to block me. I'll gladly bow out of the conversation. Waste of energy.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Get over yourself. I haven't been in the Russ corner since he left. Other than you saying Baker Mayfield is better than him, which is hilarious.
You know nothing about me, and I'm certainly not the only one who thinks their cap is shady.

You say you think so. I present the public contract numbers available all over the place and collected in particularly convenient ways on overthecap.com and spotrac.com as evidence to the contrary. You can't cite evidence even of something questionable or suspicious, much less of any actual violations of the rules.

You say you think their cap situation is "shady." Shady how? What do you find suspicious? I've looked at the Rams' cap details on both of the sites I mentioned, and I saw nothing suspicious. The fact that no other teams have said anything suggests strongly that no NFL teams believe the Rams are doing anything wrong with the cap. So if you think there's something "shady," why do you think so, and why do you think no other NFL teams think so? And what specifically do you imagine a team even COULD do that would be "shady" on the cap?

I'll even give you an example of something that looked shady to me: when the Patriots had Brady, his company was housed inside the Patriots' complex and had the Patriots as a client. That looks like a possible way to circumvent the cap. I can't prove the Patriots saved cap space by paying Brady through his company, but it's an example of something that looked shady. Can you even cite anything on which to base your so-far completely unsupported accusations about the Rams that rises even to that absurdly low bar? I've moved the goalposts twice for you now (making it much easier for you both times), and I'd be willing to bet a nickel you still won't be able to cite anything that even looks potentially suspicious. You just want to sling accusations around without any evidence. As I said before, that's not a good look.

You're entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to make accusations in contradiction to reality.

I don't like the Rams. I don't like that the Rams have worked the cap well and been able to put a strong (if depth-lacking) team on the field, and that (with the help of some awful on-field calls, and note that I'm NOT accusing the league of a conspiracy to help the Rams here, just saying there have been some major incorrect calls and non-calls that have helped the Rams advance in recent years) they won the latest Super Bowl. But since there is absolutely no evidence of them doing anything wrong with the cap, and in fact, even those who would accuse the Rams of cheating can't come up even with anything that the Rams have done that could even conceivably be considered cheating on the cap, I won't accuse them of such a thing. Why would any decent person make accusations when the lack of evidence in support of those accusations is so great that even when pressed for an example of something that could conceivably be construed as suspicious, the accuser cannot supply one?

Put yourself in the position of the accused. What if somebody accused you of something bad, despite not having any hard evidence of it, nor even circumstantial evidence suggesting the possibility that you might conceivably have done it. Pretty awful, right? This is why making unfounded accusations is so ugly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For not liking the Rams, you sure seem to have your pom poms out. It's odd how worked up you're getting over an opinion. I'm not going to apologize for having my opinion. Don't like it, I couldn't care less.
Have a good day. GO HAWKS

RedAlice

Reaction score
For not liking the Rams, you sure seem to have your pom poms out. It's odd how worked up you're getting over an opinion. I'm not going to apologize for having my opinion. Don't like it, I couldn't care less.

your hate to the Rams is palpable. You have been doing this forever.

you say insidious things. You really and at core: hate the Rams.

that is why you, and you alone, give me so much pleasure here.

RedAlice

Reaction score

this is also wrong.

it is what you tell yourself because Hawks aren’t good. Small minded men need to blame others.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
F the Rams, sincerely. Sports hate is fun, you should try it sometime. But you're so busy spending all your time on a SEAHAWKS board.
I never said the Rams were not a great team, they're damn good.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

All I've done is ask you to clarify what you think the Rams are doing wrong on the cap. I've also asked you for evidence of any wrongdoing, which of course you could not provide. I provided the public contract breakdowns, especially gathered in convenient ways on sites like overthecap and spotrac, as evidence that the Rams are within the cap rules. I then lowered the bar for you, asking you to provide just one example of anything even questionable that the Rams have done on the cap. You couldn't come up with even one. I then lowered the bar again to the absurdly low level of anything that could conceivably be construed as potentially shady (and I cited the funny business with Brady's TB12 company being housed inside the Patriots' complex and having the Patriots as a client as an example of that).

Even after I'd lowered the bar twice, you couldn't even come up with a single example of anything the Rams have done on the cap that could conceivably be construed as potentially shady.

Further, I made the argument that if the Rams had different cap rules from the other 31 teams, as you've alleged multiple times without providing even a shred of even circumstantial evidence, even when asked to do so, the other 31 owners (technically, the other 31 ownership groups) would be furious and complain. The fact that no other teams have complained about the Rams' cap suggests very strongly that the other 31 teams, including the Seahawks, don't believe the Rams are doing anything against the cap rules.

I've provided two different kinds of evidence that the Rams are not violating the cap rules: actual contract breakdowns for the full rosters of all 32 teams on overthecap and spotrac, plus the fact that none of the other 31 teams is saying the Rams are doing something wrong on the cap.

All you do is add to your proven-false accusation against the Rams by making a false accusation against me. You accuse me of having my "pom-poms out" for the Rams, when all I've done is say that there's no evidence that the Rams have done anything wrong on the cap. If you had provided some, I'd be outraged that the Rams were getting away with such a thing. But even when I lowered the bar to anything that could conceivably be construed as suspicious, you couldn't even provide anything that met that absurdly low standard. You've got zero actual real-world reasons to believe the Rams have done anything wrong on the cap, yet you continue to make false accusations.

My "pom-poms" are not out for the Rams. The last time I rooted for the Rams was in the 1999 season, when I lived in Sacramento and I had a friend who was a Rams fan, and I watched several games at his house and was very happy for him that the gods of sport were smiling on him after so much suffering. Worth noting: the Seahawks, who have been my team since 1976, were still in the AFC at the time. I'd also have rooted for the Rams against the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVI in February of 2002 (after the 2001 season) if I'd been able to watch it, but I had moved to Brazil and I've never signed up for any pay-TV services (cable or satellite) here, so there was no way for me to watch the game. The Seahawks would only move to the NFC in the following season.

On the other hand, I was actually happy the Patriots shut down JaGoff and the Rams to the tune of just three points in Super Bowl LIII after the 2018 season, because by that time, the Rams had been a division rival long enough, and the Rams fans that went to pester us on the Seahawks fan site I frequented at the time had annoyed me enough, that I was happy not to watch the game (in my view, the best possible outcome would have been the whole field falling straight into Hell, taking both teams with it, and I considered that unlikely to happen), but it was nice after hearing what an offensive genius McVay supposedly was week after week, to read that that offensive genius's team only mustered three points in the Super Bowl.

My pom-poms are out for reality and evidence. You've made accusations, and I've just asked you to give evidence of what you're alleging, later lowered to any circumstantial evidence that what you're alleging might conceivably be happening, and you couldn't provide even that.

It's not a matter of opinion at this point. There's evidence the Rams aren't doing anything wrong on the cap (the publicly available contract numbers, plus the silence of the other 31 teams' ownership groups and front offices), and you're unable to provide even a single piece of evidence that suggests the Rams might conceivably be doing something against the cap rules. You're making wild unfounded accusations. Worse, now that you've seen the evidence that the Rams are following the salary-cap rules and been unable to come up even with some datum that suggests they might possibly be doing something shady, any reasonable human being would have to come to the conclusion that there's no basis for accusations like that at this time, so now you're knowingly making false accusations. That's pretty ugly.

I dislike the Rams (still not as much as I dislike the Raiders, and probably about the same as I dislike the Broncos, from the Seahawks' days in the AFC West), and I wish them much failure on the field, but I just can't agree with accusing them of cheating on the salary cap without even a shred of circumstantial evidence suggesting even the possibility that they might conceivably be doing anything wrong on the salary cap. Wishing it were so is not an adequate standard.