A taste of what to expect this season...Lock 2021 highlights

keasley45

Reaction score
Josh Allen also didn't play much in the way of football. In high school he didn't attend much in the way of camps and he was focused more on other sports and working on the family farm. He played season in junior college and he ended up at Wyoming when he didn't play the first year. The dude did not have much in the way of football experience by the time he ended up at the NFL draft. Really just two years of focused training.

Drew Lock on the other hand went to camps, started virtually every year at his HS, started 4 years for a major college program. He was highly lauded coming out of HS. He's had a lot more football under his belt than Josh Allen had at that point. Josh Allen very much so was just raw material. I don't see those two are really equivalents.

In addition to this, how many players do you see in the NFL that just never are able to adjust to the pro game? Drew Lock has been very inconsistent through his entire NFL career. He hasn't shown much in the way of improvement -- meanwhile Josh Allen had shown consistent improvement from day one.

People are going to see really quickly that Lock is no good this season. He's a bad QB with elite measurables and that is the end of the story. There have been many like him to grace the NFL and he certainly won't be the last. The amount of blind faith people are putting into this guy despite the evidence of his ineptitude as a QB shocks me.

I stated pretty clearly that Lock and Allen aren't the same dude. Different players, and as you've pointed out, different paths to the NFL.

But I'd argue that you claiming that Lock had the benefit of better coaching because he's played football longer, and was on a path to thr NFL for much longer, although it makes sense on the surface, isn't necessarily a solid position to take.

There are countless examples of talented QBs who, because of their uber ability in High School and college ranks, DONT get the coaching they should because they essentially ARE the team. It's often the case that, depending on the program and staff, coaches will rely on a player's God given talent to achieve success and actually NOT 'coach him up' because what he brings to the table is what makes the team go.

Black QBs have suffered from this for a long while- capable of doing more but from high school age, fed the same 'running qb' role, because their talent doing that is undeniable. And as a result, the rest of their game falls by the wayside. That's not always the case, but has been often.

Happens to non black qbs too. Uber talented, strong armed players who in the college ranks are simply in a different raw talent category, are relied upon for just that.

So I maintain that the jury is still out. It may be that Lock in his time in Seattle is just now coming into a situation where he'll actually be coached. God knows it wasn't happening in Denver. Was it better in college? Or were his coaches just relying on him to go out there and win the game?

He may never be more than he's been. It might be too late. But you can look at a guy like Michael Vick, who through the majority of even his NFL career, was just asked to go and be Michael Vick and highlight reel his team to victory. It wasn't until he had a reality check, got a second chance and hooked up with Andy Reid that he gave us all a glimpse of what might have been, had circumstances been different.

In Lock - this is certainly been a reality check and a second chance. He doesnt have Andy Reid to mentor him, but he does have an OC who understands the passing game at the highest level its played in today's game. He's also stepping into some pretty substantial talent on his side of the ball and a scheme that will afford him thr opportunity to learn on the job, by virtue of the fact that he won't be relied upon to be THE guy.

We'll see what he makes of it. Nobody can say right now, either way.

Rosco

Reaction score
Josh Allen also didn't play much in the way of football. In high school he didn't attend much in the way of camps and he was focused more on other sports and working on the family farm. He played season in junior college and he ended up at Wyoming when he didn't play the first year. The dude did not have much in the way of football experience by the time he ended up at the NFL draft. Really just two years of focused training.

Drew Lock on the other hand went to camps, started virtually every year at his HS, started 4 years for a major college program. He was highly lauded coming out of HS. He's had a lot more football under his belt than Josh Allen had at that point. Josh Allen very much so was just raw material. I don't see those two are really equivalents.

In addition to this, how many players do you see in the NFL that just never are able to adjust to the pro game? Drew Lock has been very inconsistent through his entire NFL career. He hasn't shown much in the way of improvement -- meanwhile Josh Allen had shown consistent improvement from day one.

People are going to see really quickly that Lock is no good this season. He's a bad QB with elite measurables and that is the end of the story. There have been many like him to grace the NFL and he certainly won't be the last. The amount of blind faith people are putting into this guy despite the evidence of his ineptitude as a QB shocks me.
He’s had a season and a half of starts.
You’re quite the hypocrite to criticize people for having so called “blind faith” in LocK with your blind hate of Lock.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Is it me or is that Denver O-line collapsing over and over? Lock has people in his face all the time. I like that Fant guy.
My favorite so far, without time to watch all, is at 5:45.
#66 Dalton Risner is run over, then tries, unsucessfully, to hold #92 Stacy McGee, who runs out of puff, and stumbles, chasing Lock.
At least Lock has had some practice running for his life.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
He’s a stop-gap. Of course, all of us would like him to evolve. But, Josh Allen’ish?

Our future QB will be selected in round 1, 2023.

Until then, grab your popcorn and watch these youngsters develop.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He’s had a season and a half of starts.
You’re quite the hypocrite to criticize people for having so called “blind faith” in LocK with your blind hate of Lock.
He’s been in the league for THREE YEARS. I can think of very few QBs that suddenly changed their stripes after that long in the NFL. I’ve seen him in action and I left unimpressed. You’re acting like he’s a rookie when in actuality he’s had plenty of time to show something. He’s a known quantity. He’s shown very little progress in his NFL stay.

This isn’t “blind hatred”. I’ve watched him and was left unimpressed. The dude is just a place holder here with some raw tools. If he is able to put it together, cool but I can guarantee you that he’s going to disappoint people here. By mid season if he starts people are going to be calling for his and Carroll’s head.

It is what it is, Lock is not a good QB as he currently sits. He doesn’t look much like a leader either.

Im just hoping for some sweet memes and the team to stay in the game at this point.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I stated pretty clearly that Lock and Allen aren't the same dude. Different players, and as you've pointed out, different paths to the NFL.

But I'd argue that you claiming that Lock had the benefit of better coaching because he's played football longer, and was on a path to thr NFL for much longer, although it makes sense on the surface, isn't necessarily a solid position to take.

There are countless examples of talented QBs who, because of their uber ability in High School and college ranks, DONT get the coaching they should because they essentially ARE the team. It's often the case that, depending on the program and staff, coaches will rely on a player's God given talent to achieve success and actually NOT 'coach him up' because what he brings to the table is what makes the team go.

Black QBs have suffered from this for a long while- capable of doing more but from high school age, fed the same 'running qb' role, because their talent doing that is undeniable. And as a result, the rest of their game falls by the wayside. That's not always the case, but has been often.

Happens to non black qbs too. Uber talented, strong armed players who in the college ranks are simply in a different raw talent category, are relied upon for just that.

So I maintain that the jury is still out. It may be that Lock in his time in Seattle is just now coming into a situation where he'll actually be coached. God knows it wasn't happening in Denver. Was it better in college? Or were his coaches just relying on him to go out there and win the game?

He may never be more than he's been. It might be too late. But you can look at a guy like Michael Vick, who through the majority of even his NFL career, was just asked to go and be Michael Vick and highlight reel his team to victory. It wasn't until he had a reality check, got a second chance and hooked up with Andy Reid that he gave us all a glimpse of what might have been, had circumstances been different.

In Lock - this is certainly been a reality check and a second chance. He doesnt have Andy Reid to mentor him, but he does have an OC who understands the passing game at the highest level its played in today's game. He's also stepping into some pretty substantial talent on his side of the ball and a scheme that will afford him thr opportunity to learn on the job, by virtue of the fact that he won't be relied upon to be THE guy.

We'll see what he makes of it. Nobody can say right now, either way.
Well I’m saying it right now, Lock isn’t going to amount to anything here. Feel free to quote this, put it in your signature, etc.

I will eat crow if I’m wrong but I’m confident that I’m not going to be. Lock is not even a starting caliber QB.

Rosco

Reaction score
He’s been in the league for THREE YEARS. I can think of very few QBs that suddenly changed their stripes after that long in the NFL. I’ve seen him in action and I left unimpressed. You’re acting like he’s a rookie when in actuality he’s had plenty of time to show something. He’s a known quantity. He’s shown very little progress in his NFL stay.

This isn’t “blind hatred”. I’ve watched him and was left unimpressed. The dude is just a place holder here with some raw tools. If he is able to put it together, cool but I can guarantee you that he’s going to disappoint people here. By mid season if he starts people are going to be calling for his and Carroll’s head.

It is what it is, Lock is not a good QB as he currently sits. He doesn’t look much like a leader either.

Im just hoping for some sweet memes and the team to stay in the game at this point.
Doesn’t matter,he’s only had less than a season and a half of starts.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
A lot of you are going to be in for a world of disappointment this season.

Drew Lock is a one year placeholder. Just like T-Jack and Whitehurst. And he's nowhere near as good as Jackson.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thinking that Geno or Lock won't be more than an average/backup level QB has nothing to do with Wilson. It has to do with understanding football. Hopefully Lock shocks us and is even above average. Not expecting it at all, but would love to be wrong.

Smellyman

Reaction score
A lot of you are going to be in for a world of disappointment this season.

Drew Lock is a one year placeholder. Just like T-Jack and Whitehurst. And he's nowhere near as good as Jackson.
Not really, because most of us think that is very likely to be true, but we aren't writing off a player who was highly thought of coming out of college and had a crap hand dealt in Denver. Seattle runs a West Coast style which is when he was most successful and he should have a good run game with good receivers to aid him. Oline will need to gel quick

If he is not the answer, move on. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

Jac

Reaction score
Not really, because most of us think that is very likely to be true, but we aren't writing off a player who was highly thought of coming out of college and had a crap hand dealt in Denver. Seattle runs a West Coast style which is when he was most successful and he should have a good run game with good receivers to aid him. Oline will need to gel quick

If he is not the answer, move on. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

I think that's where most people are at. Looking toward next year's draft with a side of "what if Lock gels with Waldron?" curiosity/hope.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
It's starting to feel like the Seahawks are a microcosm of Seattle, defund the police, drive out all hope and let the bums take over.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
We don't need Lock to be Russ. We just need him to be Ryan Tannehill.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think that's where most people are at. Looking toward next year's draft with a side of "what if Lock gels with Waldron?" curiosity/hope.

Exactly. This isn't some blind belief that the dude is gonna be the next John Elway. It's just a matter of looking at what he's done, what the circumstances have been around his performances.

If you want to look at him and see him as essentially as finished product, that's fine, I just don't get how, if you're actually looking at how he's played, good and bad, and evaluated the pure basics of which he is as a qb.

For example, this game was in his rookie season. He threw 3 tds , went 22 for 27 and went for over 300 yards.

And ... his mechanics were as bad in this game as they were in his bad games.

And... sooo much of what you see with the dude when you look at tape is that his footwork and throwing platform is poor.

And... one of the aspects of a qbs game that's easy to isolate and work on... and can have a drastic affect on his game, is footwork. If it's poor, play follows. If it's consistently good, good things can happen.

What I see in Lock is a guy that has obviously never had anyone dig into him about his mechanics. It's blatantly obvious on film. Is it possible that he's had great coaching and just doesn't get it? Sure. It's also possible he's always been so incredibly talented, that he's been able to make plays at thr College level, even with crap mechanics, that got the job done. It's obvious that he's still able to overcome this flaws on occassion in the pros. 22 for 27 doesn't happen by luck. And he made some throws in that game and in others that not a whole lot of qbs can. He, and his coaching in the past, have just relied on that talent above all else.

I mean, if he can thread a ball 35 yards downfield, in between coverage, off of his back foot, how much more can he do if he's dropping correctly, planting and letting it fly correctly?

So when reports come out of camp that he's running the 2s, it makes sense. He has talent well and above Geno's, but to date, probably hasn't been drilled enough. So drill him. Get him to learn the book, master the simple stuff, and see where the chips fall. If he's just bad, no worries. But it's at least just as likely that he's able to address some pretty basic aspects of his game and play much better than he's shown to date.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Exactly. This isn't some blind belief that the dude is gonna be the next John Elway. It's just a matter of looking at what he's done, what the circumstances have been around his performances.

If you want to look at him and see him as essentially as finished product, that's fine, I just don't get how, if you're actually looking at how he's played, good and bad, and evaluated the pure basics of which he is as a qb.

For example, this game was in his rookie season. He threw 3 tds , went 22 for 27 and went for over 300 yards.

And ... his mechanics were as bad in this game as they were in his bad games.

And... sooo much of what you see with the dude when you look at tape is that his footwork and throwing platform is poor.

And... one of the aspects of a qbs game that's easy to isolate and work on... and can have a drastic affect on his game, is footwork. If it's poor, play follows. If it's consistently good, good things can happen.

What I see in Lock is a guy that has obviously never had anyone dig into him about his mechanics. It's blatantly obvious on film. Is it possible that he's had great coaching and just doesn't get it? Sure. It's also possible he's always been so incredibly talented, that he's been able to make plays at thr College level, even with crap mechanics, that got the job done. It's obvious that he's still able to overcome this flaws on occassion in the pros. 22 for 27 doesn't happen by luck. And he made some throws in that game and in others that not a whole lot of qbs can. He, and his coaching in the past, have just relied on that talent above all else.

I mean, if he can thread a ball 35 yards downfield, in between coverage, off of his back foot, how much more can he do if he's dropping correctly, planting and letting it fly correctly?

So when reports come out of camp that he's running the 2s, it makes sense. He has talent well and above Geno's, but to date, probably hasn't been drilled enough. So drill him. Get him to learn the book, master the simple stuff, and see where the chips fall. If he's just bad, no worries. But it's at least just as likely that he's able to address some pretty basic aspects of his game and play much better than he's shown to date.

I don't think anyone on dot net is promising Lock to become an all-pro, most of us are hoping that he surprises us, and be more than what he was in Denver. I would like to think that Lock's performance in Denver was below what Geno has shown, but a rusty Geno did keep games close last year. Anyone above Geno might be delivering a 7 win season for us, which could just be Lock?