A Call for Creativity

T-Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2cs0noco said:
When are people going to understand that we are never gonna be some flashy air raid offense. Pete wants to run the ball, control the clock, limit turnovers, and take a deep shot every now and then. That is his philosophy, It's not sexy but it is what it is and thats what its gonna be. We're not going to compete for a Superbowl every year and nobody else does either outside off the Pats, it sucks to have a down year but that doesn't mean you change your mind set it means you work to get better, hope for a good draft next year, hope to plug a few solid free agents in and go from there. Now if that doesn't work for a couple of years then let's find a new coach and start over.

There can be a middle ground between a flashy air raid offense and what we're doing now. Sgt's post above give a list of plays that can be sprinkled in to make the offense more efficient. We can also use more tempo, the few times we do it is effective but then we go away from it.

I want us to be a run first team that controls the clock and limits turnovers, but in order to do that we need to be able to sustain drives and not get in a hole and forced to abandon the run in the second half.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm not saying there can't be a middle ground, I'm saying there won't be a middle ground.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Trying to strike a middle ground between offensive philosophies is often what gets offenses into trouble. It can turn into "lacking an identity" or "trying to do too many things at once".

adeltaY

Reaction score
Nasty it doesn't have to be that extreme. Throw in some motion, way more play action, and misdirection plays and our offensive productivity would shoot up.

getnasty

Reaction score
Outside of a stretch in 2015 Pete has never waivered for what they have done offensively I don't expect him to do it now and if he ever thought of it he would have never hired BS.

adeltaY

Reaction score
getnasty":12bek69d said:
Outside of a stretch in 2015 Pete has never waivered for what they have done offensively I don't expect him to do it now and if he ever thought of it he would have never hired BS.

And that was some of the best offensive football in league history smh.

Not even mad at you my man, you're just spitting the truth and the truth hurts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29v2pujn said:
Trying to strike a middle ground between offensive philosophies is often what gets offenses into trouble. It can turn into "lacking an identity" or "trying to do too many things at once".

True, but there can be creativity within the scheme we're trying to run.........as evident by all the Schottenheimer playcalling examples I listed above.

That's all I'm asking for. So far this year it's been either basic run plays, or rarely effective predictable passing plays.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":1lz6owhp said:

We adopted the read option in 2012. Doesn't have to be a complete change of philosophy, just being more creative and efficient is all.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8k0rxuv9 said:
MontanaHawk05":8k0rxuv9 said:

True, but there can be creativity within the scheme we're trying to run.........as evident by all the Schottenheimer playcalling examples I listed above.

That's all I'm asking for. So far this year it's been either basic run plays, or rarely effective predictable passing plays.

Look at what Nagy is doing in Chicago. Brock Huard was enamored with him after the game against us and Trubisky still had a pretty bad game. He exploded for 6 TD's this past week when he finally hit some passes. Russell is a far better QB and given considerably less schematically to work with, imagine if he had all those wrinkles to spring players open in space to work with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":2xy4q28r said:
Sgt. Largent":2xy4q28r said:
MontanaHawk05":2xy4q28r said:

Look at what Nagy is doing in Chicago. Brock Huard was enamored with him after the game against us and Trubisky still had a pretty bad game. He exploded for 6 TD's this past week when he finally hit some passes. Russell is a far better QB and given considerably less schematically to work with, imagine if he had all those wrinkles to spring players open in space to work with.

WE WERE PROMISED WRINKLES!! WHERE ARE OUR WRINKLES!!! WE DEMAND WRINKLES!!!

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":1wr9abjw said:
Nasty it doesn't have to be that extreme. Throw in some motion, way more play action, and misdirection plays and our offensive productivity would shoot up.

I agree. Just like the absent running game in Weeks 1 & 2, these are aspects of the offense that I expected but were underutilized or absent.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ihskvcb said:
mistaowen":2ihskvcb said:
Sgt. Largent":2ihskvcb said:
MontanaHawk05":2ihskvcb said:

WE WERE PROMISED WRINKLES!! WHERE ARE OUR WRINKLES!!! WE DEMAND WRINKLES!!!

I pictured Nicolas Cage screaming this

xray

Reaction score
Creativity and this offensive coaching staff haven't met each other yet. Predictable and boring.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
There’s no doubt it’s been a very slow start for our new OC. But unlike the board nihilists, I see hope for improvement.

The running game was totally underutilized for the first two weeks, with multiple missed opportunities to run the ball. But once they became dedicated, the run game took off. The way we ran the ball against Arizona is what so many fans were calling for in their criticisms of the old offensive coaching staff. They managed to fix that problem, even without 3rd down conversions.

Hopefully they can now show that they can improve the passing game and 3rd down play calling, like they managed with the running game in two weeks.

RW92

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28rukh0o said:
SoulfishHawk":28rukh0o said:
Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.

You're leaving out Hunt, Kelce and Hill. You need more than just a dynamic QB to have the type of dynamic offense we see the Chiefs and Rams run. You also need an offensive minded HC and coordinator.

We only have one part of this equation, Russell.

You're absolutely correct. We have no one, and mean no one who has the speed of Hill that can stretch and take the top off a defense like he can. Since the days of Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and Golden Tate we haven't replaced that athleticism at the wide receiver position. You give Russel the same weapons that Mahomes has and you would see a completely different team. He can't through and catch too. Tyler has talent but he isn't even close to Tyreek, and Tyler is our best deep threat.

Fade

Reaction score
RW92":2y3re3e9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2y3re3e9 said:
SoulfishHawk":2y3re3e9 said:
Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.

You're leaving out Hunt, Kelce and Hill. You need more than just a dynamic QB to have the type of dynamic offense we see the Chiefs and Rams run. You also need an offensive minded HC and coordinator.

We only have one part of this equation, Russell.

You're absolutely correct. We have no one, and mean no one who has the speed of Hill that can stretch and take the top off a defense like he can. Since the days of Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and Golden Tate we haven't replaced that athleticism at the wide receiver position. You give Russel the same weapons that Mahomes has and you would see a completely different team. He can't through and catch too. Tyler has talent but he isn't even close to Tyreek, and Tyler is our best deep threat.

Why did they pay Tyler Lockett all of that money then?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Lockett isn't as fast as Hill but he's a good deep threat. See the deep TD against the Broncos, which was a well designed play.

Fade

Reaction score
adeltaY":jco2yd5e said:
Lockett isn't as fast as Hill but he's a good deep threat. See the deep TD against the Broncos, which was a well designed play.

Yeah, no one is as fast as Hill. I am just pointing out that the Seahawks "have no weapons" is a misguided statement. They just aren't well utilized.

Creativity is counter intuitive to "Pete" ball as well.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Fade":10mh0bgg said:
adeltaY":10mh0bgg said:

Yeah, no one is as fast as Hill. I am just pointing out that the Seahawks "have no weapons" is a misguided statement. They just aren't well utilized.

Creativity is counter intuitive to "Pete" ball as well.

I agree that the Seahawks have weapons, a lot of teams do, but if you're not using them right it doesn't mean you don't have them you just suck at how to use them.

Latest posts