7 for 7 Series: Offensive Tackles!

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I think this is a group you continue to collect talent with. It's similar to Edges, CBs, and WRs to me. You always need more. Stone Forsythe and George Fant are on 1 year deals. Charles Cross and Abe Lucas have their own question marks. Teams should never just settle on their OT situation. In the next few seasons, the team is going to have to make a decision whether to pay Charles Cross real money or let him go. I don't like paying for average players. Cross has to prove that he is a player worth a 2nd contract at one of the most important positions in the league. I do think he has the talent for it though. However, we don't know for sure and you always have to have one in the chamber just in case.

1st Round

I'm cheating here. I like all of the first round OTs. Joe Alt, Olu Fashanu, JC Latham, Troy Fautanu, Taliese Fuaga, Amarius Mims all tested very well and are completely worth a first round selection. I'm not sure we'll ever see a class this again. Explosive and athletic. Most of them are really refined in their techniques.

2nd Round

Kiran Amegadjie:
6'5, 323 lbs, 36'' arms, 5.10 (40-yard), 21 Reps (Bench): He'll be 22 in his rookie season. The 2nd round offers some really athletic and high upside players. Again, this is rare for a draft and this year has about 3 or 4 of them in this round alone. Out of the developmental and high upside guys, I like Amagadjie the most. Unlike Tyler Guyton, you don't have as much technique issues. Amegadjie is more advanced with he same traits. Unlike Kingsley Suamataia, he doesn't have physical issues and lapses of concentration reps. Amegadjie is very intelligent, is quick to process, and punishes defenders. He's quick off the snap and latches on very well. In the NFL, he is going to have to fix a couple things to really be a star as an OT. He needs to maintain balance better. He played at Yale so the competition isn't the highest. He got away with just being the better athlete or player to overwhelm defenders. In the league, he's going to have to stop lunging and leaning forward. He also has to improve his hand usage. These are all coachable things and Amegadjie has the goods to work with. He's a coach's dream in my opinion. Smart, driven, athletic, but just a little raw. A lot to like. Other highly athletic but raw guys: Tyler Guyton, Kingsley Suamataia, Patrick Paul. The 1st round had the athletic but refined guys. The 2nd round has the athletic but un-refined guys.

3rd Round

Roger Rosengarten:
6'5, 308 lbs, 33.5'' arms, 4.92 (40-yard), 4.60 (Shuttle), 30'' (Vertical), 20 Reps (Bench): He'll be 22 in his rookie season. Rosengarten is a good athlete and moves very well. We know he fits the Grubb offense because he played in it. He can pull and has great range in the run game. Similar to Fautanu, Rosengarten wins in a variety of ways. He's not as strong and powerful as Fautanu but they are great technicians. They know how to use their hands and minds to win. They vary their drop sets and jump sets to confuse rushers. This is clearly coached at UW. The OTs know how to play the game within the game. He sometimes has to lunge too much and was too aggressive to compensate for his lack of length. This leads to balance issues. I can see Edges in the NFL exploit this with ghost moves or counters. Rosengarten also needs to develop his strength and continue to add weight in the NFL. Too often he is pushed back and loses too much ground before he tries to anchor. I think if he gets to 320 then he'll be an absolute monster. I also wonder how he would do at Guard? One has to wonder if this is the plan for Grubb. Let's grab him in the 3rd and move him over to LG. Jordan Morgan is a similar player. Some think he can still play OT and might be taken in the high 2nd but others might think he's a Guard and he might slip to the 3rd.

4th Round

Blake Fisher:
6'6, 310 lbs, 34.375'' arms, 5.20 (40-yard), 4.73 (Shuttle), 7.76 (3 Cone), 28.'' (Vertical), 22 Reps (Bench): He'll be 21 in his rookie season. The other OT for Notre Dame. He offers some upside because he's only 21. He's more of a finesse OT than a power guy. He'll fit a scheme zone and is a solid athlete. I think he has good foundations and fundamentals. He needs to continue to fill out and get stronger. I think he's an ideal swing tackle in his first couple of seasons that should develop into a starter as he improves his body. I don't think he fits Ryan Grubb right now because he's pretty passive. I didn't really see the tenacity that the UW OTs had. I think Christian Jones from Texas and Javon Foster from Missouri are similar players but Fisher is the youngest among them.

5th Round

Matt Concalves:
6'6, 327 lbs, 33.25'' arms, 5.20 (40-yard), 35.5'' (Vertical), 19 Reps (Bench): He'll be 23 in his rookie season. I have been putting steady-eddy type of guys in the 5th round. They are more sound and fundamental but offers average upside. Concalves sort of fits this. His best attribute is his get-off once the ball is snapped. He does this in the pass and run game. He's very quick to react to get to his spots. He has average length, average power, and average quickness. I believe he met with the Hawks at the VMAC. Tough minded and suits Ryan Grubb. Delmar Glaze is another OT prospect that fits this description.

6th Round

Garret Greenfield:
6'6, 311 lbs, 33.5'' arms, 5.22 (40-yard), 4.85 (Shuttle), 7.76 (3 Cone), 38.5'' (Vertical), 19 Reps (Bench): He'll be 25 in his rookie season. He played a long time in college and has played a ton of games. He is a Ryan Grubb type of guy. He's mean. Greenfield is a good athlete and moves well in space. He can hold up in pass protection and can get to his spots in the run game. His play strength is an issue. I don't think he is quick enough to be a full time LT and I don't think he's powerful enough to be a RT. I think his home should be at RT but he needs to get stronger and more powerful. He has leverage issues and his lack of power won't fit a gap scheme. Seems to fit a zone scheme much more. He is a development type but he's also an older prospect. Walter Rouse is similar long OT that has power issues.

7th Round or UDFA

Josiah Ezirim:
6'6, 329 lbs, 35.75'' arms, 5.10 (40 Yard), 28 Reps (Bench): He'll be 23 in his rookie season. Not much is known about him but his traits are super intriguing. His height, weight, and length are all above average for his position. He's green and raw to this side of the ball. He was a DE coming into college and played there his first 2 seasons at Eastern Kentucky. He transitioned to OT and played RT last season. Get him in and see what you got. I would like to see him be a priority UDFA if he's not drafted. Anim Dankwah (The Mountain). Dude is massive. 6'8'' and over 350 lbs. He reminds me of Daniel Fa'alele with his movement skills. He's very big but lumbering. I only mentioned him because dude is big as hell and someone is going to give him a chance.