4th Round - 144th pick - DeeJay Dallas RB Miami

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Cyrus12":6v1o0hl6 said:
Just read he can so it all but the line jack of all trades and master at none is a bit concerning.

In the 4th round that's a bit concerning?

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":2bsksksp said:
chris98251":2bsksksp said:
MontanaHawk05":2bsksksp said:
mikeak":2bsksksp said:
This is a punt and kickoff returner pick solely

Good move we needed that

"Solely" to start with

I don't know if he has the speed for that job in the NFL.

Same speed as Emmit Smith...…………..
...who wasn’t a returner.

This guys will not be a returner, we got the pick Swain for that., He can return but that will not be his roll.

pcbball12

Reaction score
jeremiah":1bhjldwt said:
Maelstrom787":1bhjldwt said:
jeremiah":1bhjldwt said:
The only thing I can see is he could be a slow WR, or maybe he will convert to LT. Who wants to be blocked by a midget? For the position he plays, he is not the best pick. This pick shows that dementia is setting in for the coach?

Skipped over the obvious sarcasm and question marks denoting that it was a question?????

My actual opinion was this........He won't make the team and nobody will pick him up. He is a short FB, in a league and on a team that doesn't use them. I don't see how he makes any NFL roster. He is rated a 6.0...in the same ballpark as Salvon Ahmed of the UW, and he sucked.

How are you still calling him a fullback?

You're flat out wrong. That's not an opinion, it's you being incorrect. Also, if you're basing your opinion off of nfl.com's player ratings, I suggest to you that you should stop doing that and watch some tape instead.

He is a fine blocker, and a powerful runner. His foot speed is FB or TE territory, but there is not fullbacks in this system, and he is too short to be a TE. He is a huge question mark. I love football, Seattle is my team. I hope he contributes, I honestly do not think he has a chance.
This is just absurd. Edwards-Helaire, a 1st round pick, ran a 4.60. Scot Mccloughan came out and said he times Frank Gore at a 4.77. 40 time for RB is the most overrated measurement. Short area burst, start/stop, and contact balance matter, 40 time does not. And 4.58 at RB is not even that bad for his size. If you think it is, you might wanna also consider moving Chris Carson to FB. No way he could possibly play RB in the NFL with a 4.58 40 right....

DJrmb

Reaction score
He'll be their 3rd down back, protecting RW and providing a receiving threat out of the backfield. When you draft the best pass protecting RB in the draft, you use him to pass protect.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/1254116951334326272[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What a terrible last name. Poor guy has to deal with that for life. If he can pass protect, that is what is missing from both Carson and Penny.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Q. Why did DeeJay Dallas become an excellent pass-protecting running back?

A. The dude was a QB in HS! He knows how bad it sucks to have RBs whiff on blocks and nail the QB! Now that HE is the RB, he brings that knowledge of what, as a QB, he wished his RBs would do to help him out and save him a few poundings.

This guy even LOOKS like a smart player, awareness of what is going on around him, when he runs downfield and uses his blockers to turn "not much" into "...to the house!!"

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
toffee":1um08up5 said:
He ain’t no a j Dillion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ Dillon was SIGNIFICANTLY overdrafted, in my opinion. Not in terms of where he went - another team may have taken him in that range... but I just don't think he's worth that. I had him mocked at 77 and I thought even that was pretty bad.

DeeJay ain't much worse than Dillon. Rather have him at 144 than I would Dillon at 62 (or any time in the first 3 rounds) any day of the week.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":r9rdoxd8 said:
toffee":r9rdoxd8 said:
He ain’t no a j Dillion

AJ Dillon was SIGNIFICANTLY overdrafted, in my opinion. Not in terms of where he went - another team may have taken him in that range... but I just don't think he's worth that. I had him mocked at 77 and I thought even that was pretty bad.

DeeJay ain't much worse than Dillon. Rather have him at 144 than I would Dillon at 62 (or any time in the first 3 rounds) any day of the week.
We shall see?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":19rc8dtc said:
MontanaHawk05":19rc8dtc said:
mikeak":19rc8dtc said:
This is a punt and kickoff returner pick solely

Good move we needed that

"Solely" to start with

I don't know if he has the speed for that job in the NFL.

Same speed as Emmit Smith...…………..
LOLOLOL, Jeremiah's next question ......"Emmit Who?" :rofl:

jeremiah

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith had the best O line of that era, maybe of all time? He would not be the dominant player he was then, today. The players are much quicker to the point of attack, and he wouldn't have the great blockers.

He has the most yards, so he must be the best I guess. To me, he was not even the best back of his era. Sanders and Faulk were better. He could pound it in there, but the team made him. Tell me who you would draft if given a choice on the 2020 Seahawks of one of the three? I am taking Barry Sanders.

DJrmb

Reaction score
4.58 40 time is too slow to be effective in todays nfl?

Tell that to Chris Carson (4.58), Frank Gore (4.58), Josh Jacobs (4.6), LE'Veon Bell (4.6), James Conner (4.65), Kareem Hunt (4.66)

Those backs have all been fairly successful in the NFL in recent years.

BASF

Reaction score
jeremiah":3dw0u400 said:
Emmitt Smith had the best O line of that era, maybe of all time? He would not be the dominant player he was then, today. The players are much quicker to the point of attack, and he wouldn't have the great blockers.

He has the most yards, so he must be the best I guess. To me, he was not even the best back of his era. Sanders and Faulk were better. He could pound it in there, but the team made him. Tell me who you would draft if given a choice on the 2020 Seahawks of one of the three? I am taking Barry Sanders.

There is no way any of those types of backs last until the end of the fourth round as Dallas did. I actually like this pick despite despising Hurricane players with a passion. This running back has the same size, speed and "runs angry" trait as our 1100 to 1200 yard rusher for the past two seasons. He is also a better blocker and receiver coming out of college than Carson. I do not expect him to be first or second string any time soon, but he will be able to contribute. The fact is that we have serious questions about the health of the incumbents and it is a good thing to have a back that can step in and not have the usual shortcomings that rookie backs face, not knowing where to pick up a blitzer, and not knowing route concepts.

chris98251

Reaction score
jeremiah":1hitbd08 said:

Give me Bo Jackson, Jim Brown and or Earl Campbell or Marshawn Lynch if your doing a Fantasy draft all time.

Just tell me when your Drafting QB's, I am sure other then Tom Brady, Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers I can up with a few others.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I wouldn't read much into his 40 yard dash time. This guy is a pretty damn good athlete.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Watching some of his highlights he has enough speed to run away from some college DBs and LBs anyway.

Touted by more than 1 analyst as a great pass blocker.
Plus receiver
Ex QB

Anybody seeing MRob-lite?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'd prefer we do not set the bar too high for Dallas, and be pleasantly surprised by his performance, than set it so high he can't possibly meet that standard. He has a nice skillset. Hopefully he is able to exploit that to his, and our, advantage. Right now if Carson goes down he and Homer are all we have.

chris98251

Reaction score
Really he needs to be elusive and have a good burst, after 5 yards everything is a bonus and being able to separate to 20 or to 40 yards is plenty, you get few chances to go the distance and run for 80 or 90 yards as a running back anyway.

Being able to make guys hate tackling you and grinding 4 quarters is what we are looking for. Pass protection will be a bonus as will his other attributes.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":14em31n1 said:
Really he needs to be elusive and have a good burst, after 5 yards everything is a bonus and being able to separate to 20 or to 40 yards is plenty, you get few chances to go the distance and run for 80 or 90 yards as a running back anyway.

Being able to make guys hate tackling you and grinding 4 quarters is what we are looking for. Pass protection will be a bonus as will his other attributes.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but don't discount vision. Burst doesn't do you any good if you run into the ass of an offensive lineman. Watching Dallas run, he seems to have good vision.

And just so I am not being airy-fairy about what the hell is "vision", it's the ability to quickly read and react to surroundings. To locate where the seam is going to develop within sufficient time to exploit it. I think Penny struggles with this with regard to rushing between the tackles, whereas Carson, for example, doesn't, and Lynch was a master of it plus had the strength to get out even when things when down the gurgler.