4th Round - 144th pick - DeeJay Dallas RB Miami

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":d02baxk3 said:
chris98251":d02baxk3 said:
Really he needs to be elusive and have a good burst, after 5 yards everything is a bonus and being able to separate to 20 or to 40 yards is plenty, you get few chances to go the distance and run for 80 or 90 yards as a running back anyway.

Being able to make guys hate tackling you and grinding 4 quarters is what we are looking for. Pass protection will be a bonus as will his other attributes.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but don't discount vision. Burst doesn't do you any good if you run into the ass of an offensive lineman. Watching Dallas run, he seems to have good vision.

And just so I am not being airy-fairy about what the hell is "vision", it's the ability to quickly read and react to surroundings. To locate where the seam is going to develop within sufficient time to exploit it. I think Penny struggles with this with regard to rushing between the tackles, whereas Carson, for example, doesn't, and Lynch was a master of it plus had the strength to get out even when things when down the gurgler.

He is pretty raw as a RB, trouble with trying to see if he has that knack is touches and he was on a team that typically runs the ball well because of the players upfront being very good, many look for a hole in those situations versus a crease they can laterally step thru or sort of crab walk as one could say which Lynch was a master if and then power to run thru the arm tackles.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Carson did not suffer a "broken hip". If I understand it correctly his hip injury was more along the lines of joint 'cushion' damage. That can be very disabling, painful, and prone to repeat. It represent a real potential problem for our running game, which is something we heavily rely on. It is disappointing to see so many around here underselling the importance of RB skill level and the fragility of our roster at that position, and incredulously doing so in guise of "value".

Dallas most likely PT avenue, provided Carson is healthy, projects as 3rd down pass protect/outlet player. If he is pressed into service beyond that type role in the near future we're probably in big trouble.

chris98251

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3itn75yk said:
Carson did not suffer a "broken hip". If I understand it correctly his hip injury was more along the lines of joint 'cushion' damage. That can be very disabling, painful, and prone to repeat. It represent a real potential problem for our running game, which is something we heavily rely on. It is disappointing to see so many around here underselling the importance of RB skill level and the fragility of our roster at that position, and incredulously doing so in guise of "value".

Dallas most likely PT avenue, provided Carson is healthy, projects as 3rd down pass protect/outlet player. If he is pressed into service beyond that type role in the near future we're probably in big trouble.

Furthering the intrigue is the nature of Carson’s injury, which was diagnosed as a hip fracture. Seahawks safety Lano Hill had a similar injury in 2018 and was noticeably impacted by it in 2019 despite having undergone surgery. Carson, however, won’t be undergoing surgery to repair his hip.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/813416/seahawks-chris-carson-intriguing-returning-injury/?

sc85sis

Reaction score
jeremiah":726f9m3r said:
Maelstrom787":726f9m3r said:
jeremiah":726f9m3r said:
SMH, this is on par with the draft by Jack Patera of a fat slow O lineman who said "someone drafted me" "I was gonna open a donut shop"...

How?

He won't make the team and nobody will pick him up. He is a short FB, in a league and on a team that doesn't use them.

The only thing I can see is he could be a slow WR, or maybe he will convert to LT. Who wants to be blocked by a midget? For the position he plays, he is not the best pick. This pick shows that dementia is setting in for the coach? He will play special teams, in a league where there is no kickoff returns, and punt returns require some 4.4 speed?

He is the same size as Marshawn and ran the same 40 time as Chris Carson, the latter of whom was drafted even later than this guy.

Here's a thought: Let the kid hit the field before we declare him a bust.