49ers Super Bowl teams would beat us to a pulp?

acer1240

Reaction score
Like most others I believe in evolution of the game. This team would destroy any team of the 60's, 70's or 80's. Bigger, stronger, faster.

Brahn

Reaction score
2013 Hawks Wins with little contest, much in the same way the the Browns 2381 Super Bowl Champs will easily beat the 2013 Hawks. Much love to Cleveland, they waited a long time for this one.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Must be strange, all those Super Bowls LAST Century...You know when things like electricity, airplanes, cars and phones were invented?

themunn

Reaction score
Tokadub":3t574cmd said:
If they didn't try to force the run they could have easily won. If Kaepernick wasn't such a dumb $#(^ they would of DESTROYED US.

Yeah OK, a team that has beat us 4 times at home in our NFC West history - only once by more than 7 points would have DESTROYED us.

Get lost.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Since it is all theoretical - obviously we win against ANYONE!! We were in the zone of all zones the evening of 02/02/14!!!

Marvin49

Reaction score
I really can't stand these types of articles.

The reality is that there is no way to ever know. Just like we can't know if the 49ers would have beaten the Broncos.

Different rules, different teams. Niners of the 80's were good on both sides of the ball, but also played at a time when much more contact was allowed in the secondary. The 49ers had a far better run game with Craig and I'll take Rice and Taylor over any of the Denver receivers. Then again the LOB could have gotten away with murder.

Who knows. All that matters is you guys won this year. Gratz.

The Radish

Reaction score
I think they have missed one important point here.

Those teams of the 80s would have beat THEIR teams to a pulp not just us!!

And the stillirs teams of the mid 70s would have beat all of us to a pulp!

Marvin is right, its really hard to compare different eras. Defensive penaltys that now a days would get 15 yards and sometimes a tossing, would be congratulated as a good stop in those days.

:les:

Marvin49

Reaction score
The Radish":30exsxw1 said:

Marvin is right, its really hard to compare different eras. Defensive penaltys that now a days would get 15 yards and sometimes a tossing, would be congratulated as a good stop in those days.

I honestly don't think Ronnie could have played. He'd have been suspended every other week.

HawkGA

Reaction score
It's simple math really:
If Game = PostSeason, then Montana > Manning,
and Walsh > Fox,
Therefore,
Final Score = 42 to 9.

The Radish

Reaction score
Marvin49":11gsasku said:
The Radish":11gsasku said:

I honestly don't think Ronnie could have played. He'd have been suspended every other week.

Not just Ronnie either. lol

Then lets go back a few years for Dick Butkus or Ray Nitschke, what a train wreck those guys were. Lots of great backs since but they set the tone.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Different rules, different generation of athlete, different situation (salary cap). These are unfair comparisons. People on MMA forums love to do that whole Bruce Lee vs Aldo/GSP thing too, and I also think that's unfair.

i.e. If those Niner teams played with today's rules, and those athletes had today's type of medicine/training/equipment perhaps they would be even better than we remember. Yet if our 2013 Hawks team had no salary cap with Paul Allen's money, got to play with the rules from back then where you could just DESTROY opposing players. This Hawk defense would look even scarier. Bah. My 2 cents.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
acer1240":3vuqtl05 said:
Like most others I believe in evolution of the game. This team would destroy any team of the 60's, 70's or 80's. Bigger, stronger, faster.
If those players were in their past form.....What if they were in todays condition,peds and all that?They would still be stars..Good players ect..I feel like people overlook this..You going to tell me Joe Montana wouldn't be great today?With all the pansy
rules of today all over the field..I feel like you people would be in for a shock..

plyka

Reaction score
If you put those 49ers, in their prime (their best all time team, which was the MOntana niners beating the broncs 55-10), against this Hawks team --it would be a bloodbath. This Hawks team would destroy them. Why? The same reason why Bill Russell against Shaq would be a murder: evolution. These players are bigger, faster, stronger --and they have evolved schemes and understanding and insight. The game has changed.

But if you compare that team versus it's era and this team versus its era, then it's no contest the other way. They were better in their era than we are in our era, and it is no contest. That was a truly dominant team in all aspects.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2zrz06xk said:
acer1240":2zrz06xk said:
If those players were in their past form.....What if they were in todays condition,peds and all that?They would still be stars..Good players ect..I feel like people overlook this..You going to tell me Joe Montana wouldn't be great today?With all the pansy
rules of today all over the field..I feel like you people would be in for a shock..

Some superstars like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Walter Payton would probably be stars in any era. Many of the rank-and-file players of previous eras wouldn't even get a look today, though. Even someone like Jim Brown, who was physically superior to virtually everyone he played against in the Sixties, would find the talent gap drastically reduced if he played today.

Marvin49

Reaction score
plyka":16cndri8 said:
If you put those 49ers, in their prime (their best all time team, which was the MOntana niners beating the broncs 55-10), against this Hawks team --it would be a bloodbath. This Hawks team would destroy them. Why? The same reason why Bill Russell against Shaq would be a murder: evolution. These players are bigger, faster, stronger --and they have evolved schemes and understanding and insight. The game has changed.

But if you compare that team versus it's era and this team versus its era, then it's no contest the other way. They were better in their era than we are in our era, and it is no contest. That was a truly dominant team in all aspects.

You could also easily argue that the '89 team wasn't their best either. The '84 team went 18-1.

As a Pats hater one stat I love. Only three teams in NFL history have ever gone 18-1...but only 2 of them won the Super Bowl. LOL. The other team BTW was the 85 Bears.

As I said before though, it is almost impossible to judge teams or players that are separated by large chunks of time. Rule changes, advances in training, the evolution of players (size, speed, etc)...all make it nearly impossible. Jim Brown was incredible, but he played at a time when offensive and defensive linemen were in the 220 lb range. He was bigger than most defenders. I still think he would be dominant (and I think Bo Jackson and Adrian Peterson are Brown clones), but it's impossible to really judge.

How good would the 49ers be if they had the training and medical science we have today? How good would the Seahawks be if they DIDN'T have those things? What rules do we play by, todays or the rules from the 80's? Who freakin' knows. We'll never know.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I dunno what would happen, but those Niner teams had good defenses too. It just so happened that they had the most functional offense at the same time. They were an amazing group in the late 80s and I consider them to be the greatest ever.

The thing is, that Niners team could never exist today. It would have been impossible to hold a team like that together. They had the best QB, the Best WR and the best Oline of ALL TIME in my opinion. With a cast of exceptional players at every level.

Maybe match up well against that offense, but the defense was big trouble and very overlooked.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1vu7ila2 said:
It would be a close matchup honestly those were epic teams with THE best quarterback ever. It does depend on which rules are being used, if Seattle gets to use 1980's-90's rules it could get illegally ugly.

You beat me to it. If we were allowed to play by those rules, I don't see that 49ers corps of WRs finishing the game. Chancellor would take half of them out by himself.

I also think we could've run on that Niners squad. That said, I do think they would've scored more points than Denver did, but what most people just don't get when they are comparing teams from the 80's to now, is that the beating we gave the Broncos was hampered by all the rules that protect offensive players, and we still put Moreno and a few others out of the game (legally and cleanly).

Imagine if we could head hunt. If Kam could hit people in the head with his shoulder pads. He gave Vernon Davis a concussion by hitting him with his shoulder pad in the chest ! It's good that they have those rules now....someone would probably literally die on the field.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawks46":3dydu6n8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3dydu6n8 said:
It would be a close matchup honestly those were epic teams with THE best quarterback ever. It does depend on which rules are being used, if Seattle gets to use 1980's-90's rules it could get illegally ugly.

You beat me to it. If we were allowed to play by those rules, I don't see that 49ers corps of WRs finishing the game. Chancellor would take half of them out by himself.

I also think we could've run on that Niners squad. That said, I do think they would've scored more points than Denver did, but what most people just don't get when they are comparing teams from the 80's to now, is that the beating we gave the Broncos was hampered by all the rules that protect offensive players, and we still put Moreno and a few others out of the game (legally and cleanly).

Imagine if we could head hunt. If Kam could hit people in the head with his shoulder pads. He gave Vernon Davis a concussion by hitting him with his shoulder pad in the chest ! It's good that they have those rules now....someone would probably literally die on the field.

All true...

...but you'd also be facing a defense with Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, Matt Millen, and several others who could also take advantage of those rules as well.

Remember, the 49er faced a defense with one of the biggest, hardest hitting safeties of their time (Steve Atwater) and it didn't make a difference. Dennis Smith wasn't half bad either. Certainly Seattle is far better on D than the Broncos were in '89 tho. I just don't think this is an anwerable question.

TAB420

Reaction score
I tried to reason with them and got banned for two days....lol