3rd and 1...

SeaWolv

Reaction score
...from the Seahawks 31 yard line with 1:55 to go in the game. You need at least one more first down to ice the game and the Hawks coaching staff dials up a 30 yard out route to Lockett??? Carson was giving 4.2 yards a carry, so why not give him the ball instead of throwing up a risky long ball???

I was shocked at the call and was thinking that would be the thing that everyone was talking about as the reason they lost the game. Thankfully Collier and Hill had something else in mind.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If you read some of the other posts about this, you'd know that was the 3rd read on that play. The first two were covered. It wasn't drawn up to go there. You can relax,

And if you think Carson was the answer, since running it was so effective, ask Cam how that worked on the Pats' final play, which had been successful all evening.

John63

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2tw7p0i5 said:
If you read some of the other posts about this, you'd know that was the 3rd read on that play. The first two were covered. It wasn't drawn up to go there. You can relax,

And if you think Carson was the answer, since running it was so effective, ask Cam how that worked on the Pats' final play, which had been successful all evening.

Correct and they were stacking the box some. If Wilson had a fraction of a second longer it would have been fine and then add the snap was off.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Chris Carson would have gotten that 1 yard. Just sayin'.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":3ix17uqr said:
Chris Carson would have gotten that 1 yard. Just sayin'.

If he hadn't, would a lot of posters here argue we had just "gotten cute" with our play-calling, attempting to run into a stacked box when we should have put the ball in Russell's hands?

I think you're probably right, Aros. It's the schizophrenic nature of hindsight that makes even a win so chaotic around here.

sutz

Reaction score
A running play also keeps the clock running after the whistle. Costs NE a time out burned or 40 more seconds off the clock.

Pass plays are great if you complete, but there are down sides, like stopping the clock.

It's all hind sight and second guessing anyway. Thankfully the D held them out of the end zone and we won.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Everyone in here would be crying if we ran and got stuffed. Here would of been the comments "Let Russ cook" and "Put the ball in Russ hands",etc.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1iwcwifz said:
Everyone in here would be crying if we ran and got stuffed. Here would of been the comments "Let Russ cook" and "Put the ball in Russ hands",etc.

Exactly my thoughts.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pete said intermediate routes were called b/c the Pats had 9 men in the box and it was RW who saw Lockett open and simply didn’t have enough time to make the perfect throw, but went for it.

It was an aggressive play and could have been a total finisher for the game. It was hardly Pete ball. Lots of damned if you do, and damned if you don’t on this play, but it was RW cooking, the dish just didn’t work out.

John63

Reaction score
jammerhawk":4ueorthi said:
Pete said intermediate routes were called b/c the Pats had 9 men in the box and it was RW who saw Lockett open and simply didn’t have enough time to make the perfect throw, but went for it.

It was an aggressive play and could have been a total finisher for the game. It was hardly Pete ball. Lots of damned if you do, and damned if you don’t on this play, but it was RW cooking, the dish just didn’t work out.

I agree.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Russ has the mentality of a warrior and went for the jugular. I wouldn’t want anything different.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He absolutely does. Doesn't mean it's the right call at that TIME. Carson just got 9 yards easily. Run the damn ball, get the 1 yard and seal the deal.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":35s9ol64 said:

They dropped 4 in coverage one spying Wilson and brought 6.

ZhVTUMp

So why not roll Wilson out to the right and look for Lockett and if he's not wide open run for the first??

Cam rushed 11 times for 47 yards and 2 TD's, I wouldn't exactly call that ineffective.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1pduqekk said:
Yeah but teams now got to think about defending the end zone on 3rd and 1?

This would be the consolation prize imo. I'd much rather have iced the game with the Hawks possessing the ball then praying for a stop on the 1 yard line or time running out.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":h4n5wb7q said:
He absolutely does. Doesn't mean it's the right call at that TIME. Carson just got 9 yards easily. Run the damn ball, get the 1 yard and seal the deal.

My thoughts precisely. I had flash backs of the end of SB49.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
sutz":gfz3m31l said:
A running play also keeps the clock running after the whistle. Costs NE a time out burned or 40 more seconds off the clock.

Pass plays are great if you complete, but there are down sides, like stopping the clock.

It's all hind sight and second guessing anyway. Thankfully the D held them out of the end zone and we won.

Agreed, but the point is it so easily could have gone the other way. I seriously doubt if you roll Wilson out on the right with him looking down field he can't tuck and run for a yard there.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":226nxpg9 said:

Conventional wisdom in that scenario is run. There's so much that can go wrong from throwing the ball in short yardage situations, as we all know. I don't think most of us would have been more upset had a run gotten stuffed there than a 30 yard pass falling incomplete.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The week before we had a 4th and 5 and went for the long ball, and no one complained. People say that's not Pete Ball, but it is - he's been Big Balls Pete all this time, and will go for a back-breaking play if available. However, this was Russ' read, so Russ' call.

Latest posts