2021 Draft RD 2 PK 56 WR D'wayne Eskridge, W Michigan

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":e2nn3myk said:
pittpnthrs":e2nn3myk said:
Fade":e2nn3myk said:
I believe also they were trying to trade down, but didn't get the offers they were looking for, so they had to pick.

There was a run at receiver so they had to pick that spot now, or they would be looking at a real project at the position.

Eskridge is a dynamite returner, and gives them an element at WR they currently lack, it's by no means a bad pick, in a vacuum it's a good pick.

Some might be feeling a little pressed due to the lack of picks, and want a Center at this spot, but historically good Centers can be found in the middle rounds. Seattle has a 4th rd pick still.

What is important is if this guy can play or not, and I think he can. He can be the Jet player in the run game, return kicks, and be a vertical threat when they are looking to chuck it deep.

A returner and #3 WR picked before greater needs is hard to swallow though. I dont hate the player but hate where he was chosen.

Hate seems part of just about every post from your address. Meh... it becomes meaningless very quickly.

Nobody has any idea if he'll be a #3 WR in yards, receptions, etc. when playing with RW; and we certainly need better KR and PR yards than we got last year. This may be exactly what will open up the field for a more up-tempo offense. That alone relieves pressure from our abused QB.

Well if the FO would quit doing stupid things like this pick, I wouldnt hate so much.

I get your defending the pick, but the only way that kid has any numbers higher than Metcalf and Lockette is if one of them goes down. As for a KR, they are practically useless in todays NFL. The days of Devin Hester and Mel Gray are over. Maybe he'll take a couple of punts to the house,,,,cool, but I'd still rather have a Center to protect the QB. So would Russ.

K

K.J WRIGHT

Anyone watching film on this guy can tell he has the "IT" factor. Straight up baller!!

K

K.J WRIGHT

Seanhawk":25ua2hha said:
Atradees":25ua2hha said:
Dwayne wanted to run a 4.29 at his pro day.........

What does that even mean? I want to run a 4.1, but I can't.
4.1 pppfft......I am pretty sure I could run a 3.4.

707HAWKfan

Reaction score
kf3339":36vhkc0m said:
Jerhawk":36vhkc0m said:
CPHawk":36vhkc0m said:
Why are people so in love with Creed? How did he look every time he went against SEC DL?

They don't really know what they're talking about. It's alright. Let them complain. They act like Pete and John should run every decision by them.

Sure we don't. It's like none of us have ever watched a football game at all. We just watch Pocic being bullrushed back into RW several times a game.

Went to KC, what does that tell you?

Lol. Let's forget Locket who is too short and didn't amount to anything. Just saying this dude looks like a freaking gritty hawks pick. But hey what do I know I could be wrong honestly. I think he's gonna get his tho.

Momofantv

Reaction score
Anyone who likes this pick is insane, the dude is a WR4 if anything will maybe get 4 plays a game, he played against awful competition. Not to mention Russell won’t have the time to even look at him as he’s getting sacked because we have a center who literally fell over if Donald poked in in the post season.

They’ve said they liked Swain as WR3 so we’ve spent a 2nd rounder on a side who won’t play 10% of snaps as we won’t use 5 WRs ever Bc we won’t take Everett off the field for this kid. And then we will probably run 2 TE sets with both TEs

ivotuk

Reaction score
So he only got to play 6 games this year. And I wonder if his QBs were any good?

Info:

D'Wayne Eskridge file
Name: D’Wayne Eskridge

College: Western Michigan

Height: 5-8 3/4

Weight: 190

Background: Eskridge played both cornerback and wide receiver at Western Michigan before his offensive breakthrough during a truncated 2020 season.

. In six games, he posted 768 yards receiving and eight touchdowns, averaging 23.3 yards per reception en route to earning Mid-American Special Teams Player of the Year recognition.

Fun fact: As a high school senior, Eskridge was named Indiana’s Mr. Track and Field

488 of his 768 Yards came AFTER the catch. I like that.

707HAWKfan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":20iw0zh9 said:
kf3339":20iw0zh9 said:
Jerhawk":20iw0zh9 said:
CPHawk":20iw0zh9 said:
Why are people so in love with Creed? How did he look every time he went against SEC DL?

They don't really know what they're talking about. It's alright. Let them complain. They act like Pete and John should run every decision by them.

Sure we don't. It's like none of us have ever watched a football game at all. We just watch Pocic being bullrushed back into RW several times a game.

Went to KC, what does that tell you?

It tells me that he fell later than expected for a reason and was taken by a team that mismanaged its offensive line and got undressed nationally for it.

Wow friend. Got it all fingered out. No need to pay attention for me until September. Done reading. Swear to all that is holy, this site is the most depressing arena I could've come to. Friday night "you wanna come party" nope I'm gonna go get my depression on here at .net. Lame. Yeah I know leave then. Lol thanks friend I figured that out. Damn, hella negative before this team even plays one preseason down. But okay. Not your opinion but your attitude justified by your opinion. Get out man.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Momofantv":32b57yxd said:
Anyone who likes this pick is insane, the dude is a WR4 if anything will maybe get 4 plays a game, he played against awful competition. Not to mention Russell won’t have the time to even look at him as he’s getting sacked because we have a center who literally fell over if Donald poked in in the post season.

Pocic wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't terrible. Much better fit in Waldron/Dickerson type of attack, plus that was his first season at center after being a great one in college.

Honestly, WR3 is a bigger need, and Eskridge at least brings a unique skillset.

Momofantv

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":21vrf75u said:
Momofantv":21vrf75u said:

Pocic wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't terrible. Much better fit in Waldron/Dickerson type of attack, plus that was his first season at center after being a great one in college.

Honestly, WR3 is a bigger need, and Eskridge at least brings a unique skillset.

But from what the teams said he isn’t WR3 Swain is and our WR3 won’t be much use if we’re running two WR two TE sets which we will Probably be doing to get our best players on the field and not to mention help block

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Geologic":3mm8de1m said:
#Seahawks second-round WR D'Wayne Eskridge never reached 800 receiving yards in 5 college seasons. Already 24 years old.

5'8" guy

Terrace Marshall was still on the board

800 yards is such an arbitrary number. It's an especially useless milestone when you consider he had over 760 yards in their only 6 games last year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2lmb8q49 said:
Jerhawk":2lmb8q49 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2lmb8q49 said:
Jerhawk":2lmb8q49 said:
This kid will be a pro bowler. Excellent pick.
3rd best receiver in the draft.

He is what Percy Harvin was supposed to be.

Pete and John yet again school the rest of the league.
You gotta be kidding me...

Not at all. I had him 37th on my draft board.
This is an absolute steal.

The rest of the league is scared now. Nobody saw this pick coming.
He'll run circles around DBs. Metcalf, Lockett and Eskridge? We the greatest show on turf
Are you getting paid to day this? Wow

No. I'm being completely serious.
But hey, we're all fans.

We should all be rooting for this dude. So they didn't draft who you wanted, bummer. They got who they wanted. I'm confident he'll contribute immediately

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Schneider confirmed in presser they had a trade back set up that fell through a few minutes before the pick. Stuck and took the BPA on their board, Eskridge.

Says Eskridge is versatile. Don't have a specific plan for him, they're gonna work him in to wherever works.

Justified Eskridge being overaged with fact that he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear, also brings up his particular athleticism. Drops Rondale Moore and Amari Rodgers are guys who can also just "run all day."

Pete brings up Eskridge being more solid (190-something pounds) than some of the other short, fast guys as a big positive.

chris98251

Reaction score
Strengths
Averaged 21.8 yards per catch over his last 74 catches.
High school sprint and long-jump champion.
Scored touchdowns of 72, 76 and 85 yards in 2020.
Scary burst for quick vertical separation if punch is whiffed.
Rapid foot turnover through the route.
Maintains good tempo through the route.
Able to plant and cut at fairly crisp angles.
Timing getting to full extension to make high-point catch.
Big time catch-and-run talent with instant burst to hit the home run.
Ability to stretch defense from the slot.
Averaged 27.5 yards per return with a touchdown as kick returner in 2020.

Weaknesses
Ran a very simple route tree.
Bumped off track inside five yards.
Hip tightness prevents quick sink-and-open.
Average acceleration in restart once he slows his feet.
Geared down route speed telegraphs underneath route.
Needs to sell deeper, more committed route fakes.
Ball tracking and ball skills miss the mark.
Drop rate and catch focus has been an issue for him.
Unable to catch through crowding consistently enough.

He will need to learn some things, his competition level as well as limited games last year hindered a big part of a learning curve I would expect, but he has tools that can be worked on, he has a pretty good mentor in Lockett to help as well as Ursua on the practice squad.

Momofantv

Reaction score
chris98251":1we093io said:
Strengths

Weaknesses

He will need to learn some things, his competition level as well as limited games last year hindered a big part of a learning curve I would expect, but he has tools that can be worked on, he has a pretty good mentor in Lockett to help as well as Ursua on the practice squad.

Worst 2nd round pick ever, dude isn’t good enough to start 4th round talent

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Momofantv":2e8swcsg said:
chris98251":2e8swcsg said:
Strengths

Weaknesses

Worst 2nd round pick ever, dude isn’t good enough to start 4th round talent

:177692: Even the consensus board has him 75th, get outta here with that weak take

LTH

Reaction score
was this a good pick? i think so;... just have to take a step back and let it play out.. some are mad.. but ya know we dont really know what the plan is. the draft isn't over yet then there is UDFA's plus late FA . we dont know what this team is going to look like completely.. way early to be upset...

just sayin

LTH

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Don't think the team could trade back and get fair value so they were forced to pick @ 56. So instead of reaching for a player they didn't value as high as they apparently valued Eskridge they picked a legit speedster, which creates mismatch problems with DK, and Lockett.

Eskridge was rocketing up draft boards with his legit track speed as the draft approached and people watched film on him.\. The highlight film on him shows he's a legit football burner who is very shifty in space and as said is F-A-S-T. Speed kills!

I personally am NOT a fan of Pocic who seems to be unable to anchor against any bull rush and wanted/ still want to see the team pick a C who has the ability to drop anchor and not be budged. I thought Dickerson was the best OC, Humphrey short armed and overrated, Meinerz raw but special, there are others and some who could be very underrated. The consensus of FOs around the league is was Humphrey was not fair value at pick # 56, in thend he wasn't picked until thend of the next round from our team's pick.

Perhaps the team has another plan as to what they will do a C and maybe we mays see Lewis become the starting C. Findig a C may be something the team doesn't accomplish until later in the offseason. Let's see what happens.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":t0nl1yio said:
Schneider confirmed in presser they had a trade back set up that fell through a few minutes before the pick. Stuck and took the BPA on their board, Eskridge.

Says Eskridge is versatile. Don't have a specific plan for him, they're gonna work him in to wherever works.

So they took the highest rated player on the board because they had no plan if the trade down didnt happen and they have no plan for the player they picked. Just brilliant. Seriously, this FO reminds me of a deer looking at headlights,,,,,,lost.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Well he is picked. So hope it will give Russell a go to guy. But also they need an OL to protect him. As he has been sacked so many times no wonder.

Latest posts