2021 Draft RD 2 PK 56 WR D'wayne Eskridge, W Michigan

AgentDib

Reaction score
I like that they didn't give up value to trade down like they have in the past. If a trade isn't good enough then they shouldn't force it.

Eskridge's size isn't a negative for his probable role. Look at him more like a combo RB/WR with good hands who Waldron will try to get the ball in space with stuff like jet sweeps, slants, screens and reverses. He can also get downfield in a hurry, and the chance that he could be running a corner route out of the slot will keep opposing safeties honest and should give DK a bit more room.

They were also clearly looking for players with an immediate impact, continuing the theme of them being all in on 2021. Eskridge will be an immediate contributor on offense as well as special teams.

Own The West

Reaction score
Nice. This was one of the players I thought we'd take in this slot. 3rd receiver that can play gunner and return kicks. This is a value pick at a position of need.

I'm not sure why people are pounding the table for Creed. He's a lighter, shorter-armed version of Pocic with no NFL experience. There's nobody in the NFL that can handle Aaron Donald and drafting 5 Centers isn't going to change that.

Own The West

Reaction score
AgentDib":2q4c4fwn said:
I like that they didn't give up value to trade down like they have in the past. If a trade isn't good enough then they shouldn't force it.

Eskridge's size isn't a negative for his probable role. Look at him more like a combo RB/WR with good hands who Waldron will try to get the ball in space with stuff like jet sweeps, slants, screens and reverses. He can also get downfield in a hurry, and the chance that he could be running a corner route out of the slot will keep opposing safeties honest and should give DK a bit more room.

They were also clearly looking for players with an immediate impact, continuing the theme of them being all in on 2021. Eskridge will be an immediate contributor on offense as well as special teams.

You're probably right. I didn't think of it earlier, but this guy matches favorably to Tavon Austin.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fade":3ext4tgp said:
I believe also they were trying to trade down, but didn't get the offers they were looking for, so they had to pick.

There was a run at receiver so they had to pick that spot now, or they would be looking at a real project at the position.

Eskridge is a dynamite returner, and gives them an element at WR they currently lack, it's by no means a bad pick, in a vacuum it's a good pick.

Some might be feeling a little pressed due to the lack of picks, and want a Center at this spot, but historically good Centers can be found in the middle rounds. Seattle has a 4th rd pick still.

What is important is if this guy can play or not, and I think he can. He can be the Jet player in the run game, return kicks, and be a vertical threat when they are looking to chuck it deep.

A returner and #3 WR picked before greater needs is hard to swallow though. I dont hate the player but hate where he was chosen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2zlm9g9h said:
Fade":2zlm9g9h said:
I believe also they were trying to trade down, but didn't get the offers they were looking for, so they had to pick.

There was a run at receiver so they had to pick that spot now, or they would be looking at a real project at the position.

Eskridge is a dynamite returner, and gives them an element at WR they currently lack, it's by no means a bad pick, in a vacuum it's a good pick.

Some might be feeling a little pressed due to the lack of picks, and want a Center at this spot, but historically good Centers can be found in the middle rounds. Seattle has a 4th rd pick still.

What is important is if this guy can play or not, and I think he can. He can be the Jet player in the run game, return kicks, and be a vertical threat when they are looking to chuck it deep.

A returner and #3 WR picked before greater needs is hard to swallow though. I dont hate the player but hate where he was chosen.

A #3 receiver isn't an insignificant need in todays NFL by any means.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think we just have to wait and see. With the free agents they picked up this year getting a player like him could really work out. He does look good on tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fade

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1f9g53eg said:
Fade":1f9g53eg said:

My biggest fear in this draft is they would force an SEC O-Lineman here, based on their history. Britt, Carpenter, Ifedi, Pocic, etc. Get a guy that can play rather than a stiff regardless if it is a need or not. Drafting for need is how you draft LJ Collier as well. Now 2 drafts after that disaster, it appears they've learned their lesson, and won't be doing that anymore with their first pick. Good on them.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1qhm7ffa said:
Fade":1qhm7ffa said:

Hate seems part of just about every post from your address. Meh... it becomes meaningless very quickly.

Nobody has any idea if he'll be a #3 WR in yards, receptions, etc. when playing with RW; and we certainly need better KR and PR yards than we got last year. This may be exactly what will open up the field for a more up-tempo offense. That alone relieves pressure from our abused QB.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
James in PA":3ebklfp0 said:
His college highlights are super impressive.

Then again, so were those of Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer.

True

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fade":6hpb3s59 said:
pittpnthrs":6hpb3s59 said:
Fade":6hpb3s59 said:

My biggest fear in this draft is they would force an SEC O-Lineman here, based on their history. Britt, Carpenter, Ifedi, Pocic, etc. Get a guy that can play rather than a stiff regardless if it is a need or not. Drafting for need is how you draft LJ Collier as well. Now 2 drafts after that disaster, it appears they've learned their lesson, and won't be doing that anymore with their first pick. Good on them.

Yup, Seahawks are in win now and can't sit on an OL to develop a couple of years down the line. Get a player to help now and they did.

Chapow

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":g38o89uc said:
Fade":g38o89uc said:

Lets not forget that this was a low 2nd round pick and we just got a guy that could be an elite returner, an elite gunner, and a very good receiver that "can really fly and has home run potential from anywhere on the field" (according to his NFL.com draft profile). This pick isn't at all hard to swallow for me. He's obviously far from just a kick returner (averaged 130 receiving yards per game, 4th most in FBS), but seems like some of you guys have forgotten how valuable a very good returner can be. Remember when we had Leon Washington returning kicks? Remember when Lockett was returning kicks his rookie season? Elite returners can be difference makers and game changers.

godawg

Reaction score
I have the feeling that the Hawks didn’t want Creed as our long term center. Interesting who is available in next year’s class. Pocic is serviceable for a year, and may improve with time. Creed is a beast but Pocic is a thinker. Unger comes to mind. The best centers have been quick thinkers.

ivotuk

Reaction score
How does anyone on here know what our greatest needs are? And according to everyone that's ever done drafting professionally, you ALWAYS take BPA (within reason).

Here's a tidbit for you, Mel Kiper had Eskeridge in his Top 40! And we got him at 56!

ivotuk

Reaction score
godawg":1cgc735u said:
I have the feeling that the Hawks didn’t want Creed as our long term center. Interesting who is available in next year’s class. Pocic is serviceable for a year, and may improve with time. Creed is a beast but Pocic is a thinker. Unger comes to mind. The best centers have been quick thinkers.

One thing to consider when it comes to Creed, he may have been successful for all the same reasons the Alabama QB was successful. He was surrounded by elite talent, and they played with the lead, aka ran the ball.

Not to mention Sarkisian, per Dave Wyman, drew up plays that made the offenses job easy. Like McVay did for Goff.

Then there's that Alabama defense taking any pressure off of the offense...

kf3339

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2nmzgc6h said:
kf3339":2nmzgc6h said:
Jerhawk":2nmzgc6h said:
CPHawk":2nmzgc6h said:
Why are people so in love with Creed? How did he look every time he went against SEC DL?

They don't really know what they're talking about. It's alright. Let them complain. They act like Pete and John should run every decision by them.

Sure we don't. It's like none of us have ever watched a football game at all. We just watch Pocic being bullrushed back into RW several times a game.

Went to KC, what does that tell you?

It tells me that he fell later than expected for a reason and was taken by a team that mismanaged its offensive line and got undressed nationally for it.

Well, that may be the case. But we have mismanaged our O-Line for years which is why they are consistently bottom third in the league. Drafting a 5"8" WR isn't going to help improve that issue. I hope they have some other trick up their sleeve. RW is watching.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Tavon Austin, apropos:
[youtube]g0APf_QnNyg[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
What this is,

Beating the two deep zone, Waldron also uses 4 WR sets occasionally or split a RB out, Pete talking about Rhythm is quick slants to this kid and Lockett or setting it up with one look and doing a variety of plays out of one look. Rams ran something like 16 plays out of the same look formation.

Also a home run Kick returner.

This kid is Tyler Lockett all over again when we drafted him, known as a Returner and home run guy not a really great route runner.

He, Lockett, Swain, Metcalf have the speed to break up field on any given play and look also, RAC is going to be my hope for the selection of this guy and Wilson learning and Pete allowing hitting guys in stride and not just deep and out routes throwing it away, hitting a crossing route with a guy in stride and just letting him out run the defense.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Jerhawk":aqhvbekt said:
TheLegendOfBoom":aqhvbekt said:
Jerhawk":aqhvbekt said:
This kid will be a pro bowler. Excellent pick.
3rd best receiver in the draft.

He is what Percy Harvin was supposed to be.

Pete and John yet again school the rest of the league.
You gotta be kidding me...

Not at all. I had him 37th on my draft board.
This is an absolute steal.

The rest of the league is scared now. Nobody saw this pick coming.
He'll run circles around DBs. Metcalf, Lockett and Eskridge? We the greatest show on turf
Are you getting paid to day this? Wow

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
James in PA":1lg1iowg said:
This pick has “Shane Waldron” written all over it.

Yep. If are going to run similar concepts to what the Rams do, we will see a lot of those jet sweeps and jet sweep action. A big part of the Rams offence, whether it's getting angles for blocks in the run game or guys open in the passing game cause defenders were 1 step late was that jet sweep action. Now we don't have to use Lockett to run that motion.

I read a lot of how another WR was listed as a need too. As for what Russ wants, it's not Antonio Brown but the fact Russ lobbied for him last year and this off-season makes me think Russ wants another weapon too.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm not a hater because I really thought we were picking Creed Humphrey. Hopefully the offseason tweaks to the Oline are gonna be enough, I just don't know.

I'm now a D'Wayne Eskridge fan & we need him to be a contributor. Creed is now dead to me. :lol:

I now cheering that we end up with RB Chuba Hubbard because he's from my hometown.