2014 Summer Transfer Window

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":26mth0fm said:
That Arsenal team sheet would just be begging for a solid counter attacking team (like Liverpool). No defensive integrity in the middle of the park on that one. If they keep the 4-3-3 (and they will) they need to play a holding midfielder. They haven't gotten one to do the job since Song left.

They need someone who can win the ball back, and then spray it to the wide players when needed. Defensive/Possession midfielder.

If I was Arsenal I'd sign Arturo Vidal.
Yeah thats what i meant by lacking integrity. Not the back four but the front 6. Vidal or even Khedira..UKs right that Arteta would be the balance in that lineup as it stands.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3h0ngtwv said:
Szczesny
Debuchy - Mertesacker(c) - Koscielny - Gibbs
Ramsey - Ozil - Cazorla
Walcott - Giroud - Sanchez

hmmm... that squad lacks quite a bit of defensive integrity, to be honest, but should score. I think Arsenal's biggest concerns will be the health of these players (Walcott, Ox and Ramsey have missed significant time the last few seasons)

and again, no suitable refresher for Giroud.

is 25-30 mil on a winger really where Wenger wants to blow his budget?

ive heard Khedira, which obviously adds the teeth to the middle. that makes for a better rotation of your mids. Can Arsenal actually sanction two big signings?

It might be tough to remember but, if you exclude those 4 away games, Arsenal only conceded 21 goals in the EPL. The key is for the defense to show up in the big matches. They do have a decent defensive integrity, the trick is to maintain focus and composure for these guys.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ql9dzxs said:
Smurf":2ql9dzxs said:
That Arsenal team sheet would just be begging for a solid counter attacking team (like Liverpool). No defensive integrity in the middle of the park on that one. If they keep the 4-3-3 (and they will) they need to play a holding midfielder. They haven't gotten one to do the job since Song left.

They need someone who can win the ball back, and then spray it to the wide players when needed. Defensive/Possession midfielder.

If I was Arsenal I'd sign Arturo Vidal.
Yeah thats what i meant by lacking integrity. Not the back four but the front 6. Vidal or even Khedira..UKs right that Arteta would be the balance in that lineup as it stands.

I like it when we agree Simon. :D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3qe5sw83 said:
Uncle Si":3qe5sw83 said:
Szczesny
Debuchy - Mertesacker(c) - Koscielny - Gibbs
Ramsey - Ozil - Cazorla
Walcott - Giroud - Sanchez

hmmm... that squad lacks quite a bit of defensive integrity, to be honest, but should score. I think Arsenal's biggest concerns will be the health of these players (Walcott, Ox and Ramsey have missed significant time the last few seasons)

and again, no suitable refresher for Giroud.

is 25-30 mil on a winger really where Wenger wants to blow his budget?

ive heard Khedira, which obviously adds the teeth to the middle. that makes for a better rotation of your mids. Can Arsenal actually sanction two big signings?

It might be tough to remember but, if you exclude those 4 away games, Arsenal only conceded 21 goals in the EPL. The key is for the defense to show up in the big matches. They do have a decent defensive integrity, the trick is to maintain focus and composure for these guys.

Come on Gate...you know more about the game than that.

Not tough at all...but you can't exclude 1/3rd of your goals conceded because it doesnt fit your narrative.

Its not focus or composure in my opinion its players and setup. Arsenal are a possession based attacking team. They hold the ball to keep teams off balance. When faced with high pressing teams they struggled.

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":180wopl6 said:
Nog":180wopl6 said:
Uncle Si":180wopl6 said:
Can Arsenal actually sanction two big signings?
Nope. The financial fair play only allows one big signing ;)

Arsenal's got a track record when it comes to doling out cash. Its not can they but will they. Or...I'm "smoking crack"
I know. The voyeur loves to sneak into other clubs affairs (especially in france), and bet small amount of money for youngsters... For instance, they got Flamini for free. We were trying to loan Manquillo (a right back from Spain), and of course today, reports have released that Arsenal draw some interests on this player.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Arsenal's fancy new ground is now paid off, they have significantly more funds available for transfers than previously.

Remy is a far superior finisher to Sturridge.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":12hpk99g said:
Arsenal's fancy new ground is now paid off, they have significantly more funds available for transfers than previously.

Of course he is...

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Great start to the transfer window for Spurs as they have signed Lloris to an extension. To be honest, I was fairly certain he'd be off. I'm delighted he's not.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":m88iug54 said:
Uncle Si":m88iug54 said:
UK_Seahawk":m88iug54 said:

Of course he is...

Ah....you took the bait! He's been dropping that one in for a while now waiting for one of us to bite. Such an obvious troll, with an arbitrary comparison to a Liverpool striker. Oh well, haters gonna hate.

Nah...I find it funny at this point. Clearly doesn't like Liverpool..or us "wannabe scouse" as he put it

Lots of rumours today, including Bony. That's an interesting one.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
What's Ben Davies like? He's been linked fairly strongly with Spurs for ages and I'd never even heard of him, let alone seen him play.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":2a99ugj0 said:
What's Ben Davies like? He's been linked fairly strongly with Spurs for ages and I'd never even heard of him, let alone seen him play.

Looks like Liverpool have an interest as well. Could just be paper talk (we've been linked with just about everyone)

I'd rate Davies over most left backs at the moment. Peaches was fairly spot on in his brief assessment. He's also quite capable with the ball at his feet

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Left back is Spurs' #1 priority, so whoever it ends up being, I hope they get a good one. For the love of God, no more Danny Rose, please.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":9vgzc453 said:
Thanks fellas. Left back is Spurs' #1 priority, so whoever it ends up being, I hope they get a good one. For the love of God, no more Danny Rose, please.

Pretty much how I feel about our RB and Glen Johnson, but apparently we are in for every left back on the planet. maybe its a smokescreen...

Nog

Reaction score
Btw, Suarez appeal was rejected which is now a real issue for Barça. Anyway, this is really good deal for Liverpool! :th2thumbs:

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1i9dg6kb said:
Nog":1i9dg6kb said:
Btw, Suarez appeal was rejected which is now a real issue for Barça. Anyway, this is really good deal for Liverpool! :th2thumbs:

Yep, I posted the same above. Looks like both sides have agreed on 75 million pounds (funny that, eh UK_Seahawk?), but the sticking point is in how the payment will be structured. Barca want to pay in installments, Liverpool want the lot up front.

They havent though have they? Barca are only going to that in instalments plus performance based payments. The fee will most likely be much nearer 60m with Liverpool trying to save face by quoting the performance based stuff. Todays upheld appeal won't have helped their position in the slightest.

He's damaged goods.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":lbjyn9yq said:
Nog":lbjyn9yq said:

Yep, I posted the same above. Looks like both sides have agreed on 75 million pounds (funny that, eh UK_Seahawk?), but the sticking point is in how the payment will be structured. Barca want to pay in installments, Liverpool want the lot up front.

In other news, it looks like Sanchez to Arsenal is complete. Congratulations, Gate, that is a monster signing. Should be great for you guys. HOWEVER - we all said the same about Giroud and Ozil, so take that as you will. Sanchez is quality, but will he adapt well? I actually hope so, I want to see the world's best players flourish in the PL, plus iron sharpens iron, we need PL teams to do better in the CL.

maybe he stays....(i'm not opposed to it to be honest. I'd have him for one more year, even with the suspension)

Giroud had a fine year... just was asked too much of. it finally wore him down. Maybe the same with Ozil. Arsenal are definately stronger (although Sanchez to me represents more of the same of what they already have. He may show me wrong under a different badge. It will be interesting for sure. still... very good player and was really hoping he would be part of the Suarez sale)

I think (and who knows really what he's doing) that UK sees Remy as joining Arsenal to give Giroud a breather here and there. makes sense. He's relatively cheap, French, and talented.... and apparently the best finisher in the Prem. Maybe Liverpool will give him a look.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...lks-Liverpool-Arsenal-mounts-QPR-striker.html

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":31b29lpg said:
peachesenregalia":31b29lpg said:
Nog":31b29lpg said:

They havent though have they? Barca are only going to that in instalments plus performance based payments. The fee will most likely be much nearer 60m with Liverpool trying to save face by quoting the performance based stuff. Todays upheld appeal won't have helped their position in the slightest.

He's damaged goods.

youre right, he's not one of the 3-4 best players in the world..

you are good at this. i'll give you that. just a bit too obvious, you're getting lazy

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":8n0gqene said:
UK_Seahawk":8n0gqene said:
peachesenregalia":8n0gqene said:
Nog":8n0gqene said:

He's damaged goods.

Nope. Liverpool don't have to sell him unless the release clause of 75 million is met. You're reaching pretty far here, UK.

love how we have to somehow "save face" in selling a player we dont have to sell... i dont even feel like's hes trying anymore.

by the way, excited to see Markovic... kids a real talent. Would imagine we bring in one of Griezmann (new link) or Shaqiri type player, plus a new LB/RB (maybe both?) and CB

lots of changes...or Suarez stays

Smurf

Reaction score
Roma, Napoli, Inter Milan and Anderlhect are reportedly the top 4 in the Yedlin Sweepstakes.

I'd be Ok with Yedlin watching Maicon for a year and then stepping into the first team at Milan.