1st Round #20 Pick WR Ohio State, Jaxon Smith-Njigba

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
No knock on Tate, I always respected his grit and contributions to our SB team..but JSN is better now than Tate was in his prime. From a route running perspective, I think he is closer to Baldwin.

toffee

Reaction score
JSN is everything that Dee Eskridge was not. An elite player at a big time program who didn't just flash potential but had actual production. Even in his final year, Eskridge had all of 33 catches. Although he was clocked at 4.53 in the 40 at his pro day, JSN has been timed at faster speeds in the 40 before. 4.5 is a solid number in any case, and as we all know, Cooper Kupp's 40 time is 4.62 and Jerry Rice ran a 4.71.
Angry was slower, although both Angry and Njigba both nailed the 3 cones. Lucky Geno Smith is about to have have his own Angry. Quite frankly, would Wilson be as successful without Baldwin?

Ruminator

Reaction score
I think my comment on JSN prior to the draft was: I'd love to land him, but 5 is probably too high and he'll be off the board by 20.

What a STEAL! Notice how that started a run on receivers too? Just a thing of beauty!
Can't wait to see what he does with Geno. I think many figure 49ers are the team to beat in the NFC West, but let's just see how things play out. Particularly excited for 2024 and beyond.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
No comparison between him and Tate. Tate was a converted RB to WR and never had the route running ability and glue hands of this man.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
looks like he only played one full season and had pretty limited time otherwise, I hope he's not injury prone

never heard of him, I don't follow college like I used to

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
No knock on Tate, I always respected his grit and contributions to our SB team..but JSN is better now than Tate was in his prime. From a route running perspective, I think he is closer to Baldwin.
That’s highly presumptuous to say when JSN has yet to even play a single down in the NFL. Golden Tate was a VERY good receiver and was known as one of the best YAC guys in the league during his prime.

He strung together multiple 1000 yard seasons. To say an unknown quantity is better than that at this point is false. JSN has yet to play a single snap in the NFL.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
the comparisons are in his shiftiness and how slippery and difficult to corral he is.
I think he has some of the best traits of both ADB and Tate
I don't think he's very much like Tate. I think he's more similar to a Julian Edelman character. He's got a lot of speed in space, top end isn't that great. Runs good routes and can pick up a few yards after the catch.

Tate was a lot more physical as a player but he was also more raw from a route running prospective coming out of ND. He was also better at picking up YAC and high pointing the ball than KSN in college. KSN still is good at the YAC, but he also has the benefit of being technically better as a route runner.

They both had very different approaches to their game.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
That’s highly presumptuous to say when JSN has yet to even play a single down in the NFL. Golden Tate was a VERY good receiver and was known as one of the best YAC guys in the league during his prime.

He strung together multiple 1000 yard seasons. To say an unknown quantity is better than that at this point is false. JSN has yet to play a single snap in the NFL.
Not presumption...fact.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Not presumption...fact.
He has yet to play a single down in the NFL. I could get it if you said he had more potential, but you can't say for sure that he's is better than Tate, you have nothing to go on other than hopes. JSN has yet to prove a single thing in the NFL. He's a prospect, he certainly has the potential to surpass Tate at his prime but right now, as he stands, before even an NFL camp? No.

massari

Reaction score
For those who've been fans for a long time, have the Hawks ever had a trio of WRs with more potential going into a season?

Three possible 1000 yard receivers

themunn

Reaction score
I mean he's not only the highest drafted WR of the PCJS era, which has heralded some real top players (DK, Lockett, ADB, Tate), but only the 3rd ever 1st round WR selected (after Galloway and Koren Robinson), so I have high hopes.

However the highest picked PCJS receivers have been Paul Richardson and Dee Eskridge, followed by Tate then Metcalf all in the 2nd round. So they don't exactly have a 100% hit rate...

Latest posts