1997 Seahawks Special Teams

seabowl

Reaction score
I know this is obscure, but does anyone remember the 1997 Seahawks special teams and how bad they were? All I remember from that unit was they gave up a ton of yards to returners and every time they would give up a big play, the camera after the play was over, would focus on the special teams coach Dave Arnold. He always had this bewildered look on his face as he continuously looked at his clipboard and then back at the field and then the clipboard and back at the field again after the play was over as he couldn’t understand what just happened. I remember being absolutely furious watching this saying “why don’t they just fire this guy already“. It was a terrible special teams season for the Seahawks and he didn’t last long as a coach as he was replaced after that season by Pete Rodriguez (RIP) who was great. Aah the memories.

PS Here’s a highlight of one of those games that showed him on TV after another debacle.

Last edited:

Aircrew

Reaction score
I was in flight training in Florida during the 1997 season, which was WELL before the Sunday Ticket and even before good sports bars would have NASA level satellite dishes on the roof to dial in all the games. So, I missed most, if not all, of the 97 season. But, all I will say is the 90's were the dark ages being a Seahawk fan until Holmgren was hired. And whenever Seahawks and Special Teams Coach are ever mentioned in the same sentence, only 1 name ever comes to mind: the late, great, Rusty Tillman.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I was in flight training in Florida during the 1997 season, which was WELL before the Sunday Ticket and even before good sports bars would have NASA level satellite dishes on the roof to dial in all the games. So, I missed most, if not all, of the 97 season. But, all I will say is the 90's were the dark ages being a Seahawk fan until Holmgren was hired. And whenever Seahawks and Special Teams Coach are ever mentioned in the same sentence, only 1 name ever comes to mind: the late, great, Rusty Tillman.
100% agree. Rusty Tillman was the man and at one point some Seahawk fans wanted him to be the head coach after Chuck Knox left. I will say though that they brought in Pete Rodriguez starting the next year after the 1997 season and their special teams improved dramatically. It didn’t hurt though that part of Rodriguez’s plan was to play many of the regular starters on special teams.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Holy crap…I was at that game. A buddy and I were driving through Baltimore that morning and checked to see if they had tickets. Surprisingly, they had dirt cheap tix ($15/ea if I remember correctly).

The seats were behind a massive column and we only had 30% field view. We snuck down to the lower level walkway and found a chatty security guard who let us hang with him. Had the best view in the house for a terrible hawk performance.

And agree on Tillman. Dude knew how to get the most from special teams.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Didnt Tillman serve as D coordinator for a time too ? Maybe under Flores ?
Also gotta mention how much better the original Ravens helmets were.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Didnt Tillman serve as D coordinator for a time too ? Maybe under Flores ?
Also gotta mention how much better the original Ravens helmets were.
Yes, you are correct, he was the D Coordinator from 1992-1994. His experience according to the wiki machine:

Special Teams: 1979-1982
LB's and ST: 1983-1986
TE's and ST: 1987-1991
DC: 1992-1994

Interesting, I didn't know he played for the 'Skins from 1970-1977.

"Tillman was nicknamed “the King” for his special teams mastery. He played seven different special teams positions and served as special teams captain from 1974 to 1977. He was a member of Washington’s 1972 NFC Championship squad."

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. 92 was the year without an offense, so his defense was the only bright spot we had. Wonder why Erickson gave him the boot.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Direct ticket started in 1994 on those giant c-band satellite dishes.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Until Holmgren arrived it was indeed a very very very dark time for us diehards.