10-6, 10-5-1, 9-7, 10-6

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
So they blew up the roster after 2017's disappointment and some retirements. Really, 2015-2017 were all letdowns. It seems like they're stuck at a slightly better than average level. They can make a wild card, maybe win a game if they're lucky, but no Super Bowl. I don't see this changing this year. If I'm wrong and there was some amazing acquistions, I'm happy to be wrong. There's good talent, but it's not elite. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Compare that to everyone else in the NFL outside the Patriots

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is probably a 9 or 10 win season.

We likely make a wildcard. Almost certainly win it and then end up getting blown out in the next playoff game.

BUT

That is a pretty good accomplishment given what this team really has on the roster.

When you look at half the teams in the NFL, you see how fortunate we are. There is no such thing as a game where we really do not have a chance. We are rarely overmatched, and when we are it is really just bad decisioning - not being unable to compete. Most teams do not get that.

We are pretty damned fortunate that we are going to be solid for years to come. We are no longer heads and shoulders above the rest of the NFL, but nobody should have expected that.

But we are playoff quality. It makes sense to be thankful for that because over half the NFL fans do not get to watch a team that has a good to reasonable chance in every game like we seem to have.

xray

Reaction score
I would take a 10-6 season right now and be happy with that . Game one showed a porous OL run or pass . Pass defense got torched for 418 yards ; and offensive play calling that was questionable to be kind . They don't look like a team with an edge right now . Maybe later ; but sooner would be better . IMO

nwHawk

Reaction score
Depending on injuries I think we win 11 games. This team is young and there will be bumps, but I'm pumping for how good this team might be by the end of the year.

We are lucky, and this team has a chance to play deeper in the playoffs this year. OL and overall depth will decide (sounds like most teams in the NFL).

Hawkpower

Reaction score
9-7/10-6/11-5 often gets teams into the postseason.

Once you are in the postseason, all bets are off.

Home field advantage is nice. The bye increases odds you get there...all true. Being 13-3 drastically improves your chances.

But how many teams roll 13-3 every year?

Its hard to do. We have been somewhat spoiled with our success under Pete.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Keys to a deep playoff run

QB: Top 5
Run Game: Top 5
Run Defense: TBD Currently #4 but looking like top 10 unit

CPHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1az9uot0 said:

With Reed, I think we can be top 2 vs the run. Hopefully Ziggy comes back healthy, and helps our pass D out. We aren't going to get much help in the secondary, so need to apply more pressure to the QB.

Seymour

Reaction score
Wenhawk":19xidjeg said:

Are you gifting us with last years stats or are these goals?

Running game after week 1 sitting at #25 & 2.9 YPC

Tical21

Reaction score
Seymour":11z5vwwm said:
Wenhawk":11z5vwwm said:

Are you gifting us with last years stats?

I'll wager any amount of money you'd like to wager that we're a top-5 running team.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":1b33e047 said:
Seymour":1b33e047 said:
Wenhawk":1b33e047 said:

I'll wager any amount of money you'd like to wager that we're a top-5 running team.

Why would I do that? I think there is a good chance of that due to qty of reps. YPC possible not.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
10 wins is success.

A Super Bowl team is just a 10-win team with a handful of lucky plays added. There's really not as much difference between perennial playoff contenders and Super Bowl winners, given the sample size of the postseason.

Not winning the Super Bowl every year is not a sign of Pete Carroll's subpar-ness.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
We're not going 9-7. We are better than last year. Only once in the RW era have we gone 9-7 and that's ONLY because Walsh couldn't make the game winning FG on the last game of the season 2 years back.

10-6 is the safe bet. I think we can win 11 or more.. The next 3 weeks will be critical in determining if 11 or more is possible.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Consider our records from 1988-2002:

9-7, 7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 2-14, 6-10, 6-10, 8-8, 7-9, 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, 6-10, 9-7, 7-9.

You're spoiled. Winning another Super Bowl with Pete, John, and Russ is a lot more likely than if we jettisoned and started fresh.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I predict 10 wins as well and a wild card. The weakness is in the secondary and it's going to kill us. We will see how the offensive play calling goes as well moving fwd. They need to let RW do his thing.

xray

Reaction score
CPHawk":rijrbuhv said:
Wenhawk":rijrbuhv said:

With Reed, I think we can be top 2 vs the run. Hopefully Ziggy comes back healthy, and helps our pass D out. We aren't going to get much help in the secondary, so need to apply more pressure to the QB.
pass defense was left out ...hmm ?

xray

Reaction score
Tical21":quy5xuvq said:
Seymour":quy5xuvq said:
Wenhawk":quy5xuvq said:

The last 2 games including the DollsAss wild card game ..the Hawks run attack was throttled way down by the opponents defenses . If the Steelers can do that too , then we could have a problem .IMO

The Breh

Reaction score
I don't think 10 wins will guarantee a wild card at all.
Saints should win the South.
Rest of the divisions look like a crapshoot.
Dallas and Philly both looked good. Especially Dallas.
Minny neutered Kirk to 20 passes, unleashed Dalvin and looked great.
GB may have found a defense.
Maybe this late weekend was an anomaly for Chicago.
Us and the Rams.
That's a lot of good teams capable of double digit wins.
I don't think 10 is gonna do it and it only worked last year because we won every tie-breaker necessary.
It's gonna be a dogfight this year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":383k2m2n said:
A Super Bowl team is just a 10-win team with a handful of lucky plays added.
Most fans realize this at some level, after all the Giants were #8 in the next power rankings immediately after a Super Bowl win. However, the narrative fallacy is very powerful and before long people will construct a story to explain away any small sample sizes with a more compelling narrative than randomness.

Here's nine rolls from a dice that I happen to have lying on my desk: 2 2 1 6 6 1 1 3 6.

At first that looks like it could just be a random d6 output, but after further analysis the pattern starts to become clear. The dice initially struggled for the first three seasons but managed to turn the resulting wealth of high draft picks into a great team in years 4 and 5. Of course that Super Bowl window collapsed when all of the stars had to be paid, but the coaching staff managed to rebuild in order to get them back to a championship in season 9.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Breh":36fpivmw said:
I don't think 10 wins will guarantee a wild card at all... It's gonna be a dogfight this year.
First, remember that many of the contenders have to play each other. If the Falcons turn out to be good then it hurts to have another contender, but at the same time the likelihood of the Bucs/Saints/Panthers losing is increased in two games as well.

Secondly, between now and December each team will send approximately 6 more players to the IR. How we fare relative to our competition there is a really big uncertainty and it could well be that what looks like a huge week 13 clash against the Vikings will turn out to be a dud once December 2nd rolls around.

Latest posts