Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn

scutterhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2lxgo9l1 said:
SacHawk2.0":2lxgo9l1 said:
Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.

Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.

I really don't see how Flynn is on par with the guy and could be 'much higher' in terms of quality. What evidence is there for that? One game against the Lions? Let's see him lead a team to within a couple of kick-off fumbles of the Super Bowl.

I'm less a believer in Smith than you are, and I say that because Harbaugh's understanding of the QB position led him to make the change up for who he perceived as the better option at Quarterback for the 49rs.
Harbaugh TRIED to persuede P. Manning to come to SF, and when that didn't happen, he then put Kaepernick in, he wasn't going to go back to the mediocrety.
Let's be honest, Smith was drafted high, because the expectations were that he could possibly take the 49rs back to the glory days, and to continue with the honesty, he just couldn't work enough magic to get it done, and Harbaugh probably gave him the best of all advise to helping him get the most out of his talents.
Flynn wasn't able to wrest the starting job from Wilson, (who could) but that doesn't mean that he couldn't flourish as a leader with his own team, given enough time to develop chemestry.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":2xvzp2cz said:
Sgt. Largent":2xvzp2cz said:
The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.

So for the Seahawks the low salary for a backup is a plus but for Oakland the $5million for someone that MAY not be a starter is a negative?

I am confused.......

Yes because our starter is only going to make 400k, so we have the luxury of having a 5 million a year backup. If you're Oakland is it worth it to bring in Flynn to compete for a starting position, when the outcome may be you have to pay Palmer AND Flynn.............AND give up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn?

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":aogubkeu said:
mikeak":aogubkeu said:
Sgt. Largent":aogubkeu said:
The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.

So for the Seahawks the low salary for a backup is a plus but for Oakland the $5million for someone that MAY not be a starter is a negative?

I am confused.......

Yes because our starter is only going to make 400k, so we have the luxury of having a 5 million a year backup. If you're Oakland is it worth it to bring in Flynn to compete for a starting position, when the outcome may be you have to pay Palmer AND Flynn.............AND give up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn?

OK different background thinking. There is no way EVER that they sign Flynn and keep Palmer. They will eat the money from cutting Palmer and have Flynn compete against Pryor. That is the backup I was thinking off. The negative is the cost of the Palmer cut but I simply don't see them keeping both and if they release Palmer this is the cheapest starter they can get unless they really believe in Pryor

The Outfield

Reaction score
New report that the Jags were initially interested in Flynn but decided not to pursue it:

The Florida Times-Union reports the Jaguars explored the possibility of a Matt Flynn trade, but ultimately decided not to pursue it.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora recently named the Jaguars as Flynn's "most likely destination," but it appears the quarterback's salary is a hindrance. GM Dave Caldwell is committed to building through the draft and not tying up money in veteran players. Flynn's age, 28 in June, likely also played a factor. The Raiders would seem to be his most likely landing spot.

Jville

Reaction score
The Outfield":1hqggofk said:
New report that the Jags were initially interested in Flynn but decided not to pursue it:

The Florida Times-Union reports the Jaguars explored the possibility of a Matt Flynn trade, but ultimately decided not to pursue it.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora recently named the Jaguars as Flynn's "most likely destination," but it appears the quarterback's salary is a hindrance. GM Dave Caldwell is committed to building through the draft and not tying up money in veteran players. Flynn's age, 28 in June, likely also played a factor. The Raiders would seem to be his most likely landing spot.

Thats explanation is pure spin.

The Jaguars are the cheapest team in the NFL. The cash they have commited to spend so far in 2013 ranks last in the NFL as in #32nd ........ $14 million less (estimated) than the #31st ranked team.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Flynn has very low miles for his age, is a capable QB, and seems to be a good teammate. If they send him out for next years 3rd would be a score. We'll see.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Gabbert is the Jaguars ticket to LA or London. Why would they mess that up by trading for Flynn?

gmor

Reaction score
JSeahawks":17gae6ju said:
If we could send Flynn to jacksonville and flip 2nd round picks with them that would be ideal.

Having first pick in the 2nd round is either a great way to get somebody who slipped out of the first round, or maybe even better is a nice trade chip. All those teams who didnt fill all their needs in the first round have a night to think about who's left over and try to move up and get their guy. We could probably turn that in to 3 or 4 more picks if we were so inclined.

Swapping picks would be great. Picking up extra picks would be good for subsequent years.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1jrmg2vv said:
Gabbert is the Jaguars ticket to LA or London. Why would they mess that up by trading for Flynn?

Actually their lease is going to pretty much guarantee they stay.

checkdanews

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2zqghmn5 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2zqghmn5 said:
SacHawk2.0":2zqghmn5 said:
Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.

Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.

I really don't see how Flynn is on par with the guy and could be 'much higher' in terms of quality. What evidence is there for that? One game against the Lions? Let's see him lead a team to within a couple of kick-off fumbles of the Super Bowl.

I'm less a believer in Smith than you are, and I say that because Harbaugh's understanding of the QB position led him to make the change up for who he perceived as the better option at Quarterback for the 49rs.
Harbaugh TRIED to persuede P. Manning to come to SF, and when that didn't happen, he then put Kaepernick in, he wasn't going to go back to the mediocrety.
Let's be honest, Smith was drafted high, because the expectations were that he could possibly take the 49rs back to the glory days, and to continue with the honesty, he just couldn't work enough magic to get it done, and Harbaugh probably gave him the best of all advise to helping him get the most out of his talents.
Flynn wasn't able to wrest the starting job from Wilson, (who could) but that doesn't mean that he couldn't flourish as a leader with his own team, given enough time to develop chemestry.

Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...

HawkWow

Reaction score
With the very ungrateful Carson Palmer refusing to renegotiate his deal in Oakland, I suspect Flynn will be their next QB. Reports suggest Palmer "wants out so he can play in 'Zona" (they've set the bar that low). I would be stoked to see Carson Palmer twice a year. Stoked.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawkWow":50uhs6jp said:
With the very ungrateful Carson Palmer refusing to renegotiate his deal in Oakland, I suspect Flynn will be their next QB. Reports suggest Palmer "wants out so he can play in 'Zona" (they've set the bar that low). I would be stoked to see Carson Palmer twice a year. Stoked.

Sherman and Thomas are gonna have a field day with him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Throwdown":2rly0ums said:
HawkWow":2rly0ums said:

Sherman and Thomas are gonna have a field day with him.

Boy howdy. And with Bradford always nursing something...let's hope the Rams grab McNabb! ;)

HawkWow

Reaction score
Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

"It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(

scutterhawk

Reaction score
checkdanews":2spnplsi said:
Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...

IF Smith was all that, he would have taken his job back, Harbaugh figgured it out quick enough.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":810t7yio said:

"It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(

Philbin thought because he had an inside track, that he could talk Flynn into signing for the cheap, and too, who would have expected that 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would blow the doors off in pre-Season and beyond?
There's an arguement by FANSIDEDAILY, that says that Flynn won't garner any kind of upper tier Draft pick, because he couldn't even beat out a 3rd rounder..This is a stupid arguement, because now it's a given, that Wilson has proven to be a 1st round talent that got dissed for being too short,,That kind of poor scouting judgement actually got a few guys sent down the road kicking horse turds.

cacksman

Reaction score
HawkWow":j6xkhonq said:

That's very flawed thinking, and I would hope NFL GM's don't use that type of reasoning. If Flynn is signed/traded by those coaches, he is never on the market in the first place. What if Gus does trade for Flynn, are they going to suddenly think: "Damn, we should have made that trade"?

Latest posts