Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hawks46":1vv673f7 said:
You have to look at Flynn's value in a couple of different ways: current market value and value to the team.

I think it's funny how a lot of people were on board with the Harvin trade with the rationale that "hey, if Harvin were in the draft, he'd be a top 5 pick", so we're big winners. Absolutely no one in the media is castigating us for the trade; they all love it. So look at Flynn....he's NEVER been bad in a regular season NFL game....EVER. Two starts in GB (@ NE, and Detroit) and in mop up duty last year. Against the Cards they blitzed up the middle (and got good pressure) and had their starting D out there. Flynn would've dropped 30 on them that game as well. So, the guy has limited starts, but in that time, he just doesn't look bad. This is with limited prep time usually.

So, in his NFL playing time, does Flynn grade out as a 1st rounder this year, with this crop of QB's ? I'd say yes. I theorize he's better than anyone you're getting in the draft right now, and for a team that needs a QB, with a GM desperate to keep his job, I'd bet someone rates Flynn as a 2nd or maybe even 1st rounder. Alex Smith was considered the best QB in free agency this year, and I think Flynn could be that good easily.

Also, 3 teams are wanting him. That drives up the market with absolutely nobody left.

Then look at what he's worth to us: is a 4th or 5th rounder worth losing insurance if Wilson gets hurt ? You can't predict injury, and I don't see anyone out there in FA or in the draft (I'm counting 1st rounders as well) that could come in off the bench and win us games in a pinch better than FLynn could. Hell, I don't think there's a FA QB out there that could even win any games for us. Fitzpatrick, Kolb, Vince Young, really ? Hell the 49ers are kicking the tires on Pat White, and I'd like that option better.

The Hawks aren't in cap hell and don't have to trade Flynn. They've stated it, and stated he's not getting cut. We hold all the cards, and coming to us with a "you're lucky to get a 4th rounder out of him" attitude is wasting our FO's time and I bet the league knows it.

I would disagree with this statement. You are totally overhyping Flynn. I'd take Barkley over Flynn any day. 1- the 2 players are very similar, both are roughly the same size (6-2, 220) and both have similar "ARM" talent. Barkley has much more experience than Flynn and he's younger so I'd definately take him over a guy who will be 28 before the season starts. (Age also has to factor into the equation). Meanwhile Manuel and Smith have much more upside than Flynn does.

Sac

Reaction score
Practice against nfl players and schemes has to count for something.

Or do you think Barkley could have just stepped in and lit up that Detroit d the way Flynn did?

GCrow

Reaction score
(Not sure if 3 threads were started on this but)

Sounds like Raiders have "legitimate" interest here, while the Jags do not.

Per Mike Silver article;
Another possibility would be trading for Flynn, an expensive free-agent signee for the Seahawks in 2012 who was beaten out by rookie Russell Wilson in training camp. McKenzie previously worked as a personnel executive for the Green Bay Packers, where Flynn spent the first four years of his career as Aaron Rodgers' backup.
A league source said the Raiders have legitimate interest in acquiring Flynn, who could likely be pried from Seattle for as little as a fourth-round pick. (Another source said the Jacksonville Jaguars, who according to a CBSSports.com report are also interested in Flynn, have little inclination to try to swing a trade.)
However, with Flynn carrying a cap number of $7.25 million for 2013, acquiring him would still pose financial problems for the Raiders, as Palmer would count another $9.34 million against this year's cap were he to be released.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--so ... 06980.html

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":fyww1kdn said:

Or do you think Barkley could have just stepped in and lit up that Detroit d the way Flynn did?

Go look up just how depleted Detroit's secondary and linebackers were for that game. Then remember that Aaron Rodgers was the playcaller for Flynn in that game. Seriously, Green Bay was not taking the Lions seriously that game at all. Would Barkley have been able to chuck it for 48 and 6? I don't know if that can be answered. But Barkley has been playing with NFL talent for 4 years now.

Barkley has been a starting QB for 4 years at USC, and won his job as a freshman. Part of me wonders if having given the job to a freshman Barkley helped Pete give the job to a rookie Wilson 3 years later.

I think Flynn is a better QB than I had assessed him last year, he is a better athlete than I gave him credit for. But I still stand by my thinking that he has not proven on the field to be good at play action and is most effective from the gun. I also think he played the preseason last year very conservatively, like he was more concerned with making mistakes than making plays. There were reports from Milwaukee reporters that Flynn lost the job because his off field approach was a bit slacker and that was as much where Wilson took his job as on the field.

I would take Barkley in the first round at any pick, I believe in his future that much. I don't think Barkley gets past the Raiders for sure, and I think he goes 2nd overall right now, no matter who takes him.

run and shoot

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3lwqqrul said:

You mean like Wilson, Luck, RGIII, Dalton, Newton all did as rookies heck I'm sure I'm forgetting other rookies that did good in their first years. While I like Flynn as a steady backup for us, I think he is over valued by many, and am sure most of those people will be upset when he leaves and we don't get a first for him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1dyx5ja3 said:
T-Sizzle":1dyx5ja3 said:
SoulfishHawk":1dyx5ja3 said:
??? How do you know he's awful? We've seen the guy play 2 regular season games.

16 starts in 9 years is all you need to know. If he was any good at all those numbers would be different. How do you know he isn't awful? Pretty clear the guy isn't starting material. Believing anything is is just that......blind faith. If he was any good he would have more than 16 starts in 9 years.

OMFG! LOL! Are you for real? :lol:

Threw this in my sig. We can take a look at it later. ;)

Dude, you crack me up. I'm never sure where to take you seriously, but that was seriously funny :lol:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1mn895co said:
He didn't just play well. What he did was historically good.

If he plays a 16 game season what are his numbers? Where amongst the NFL starting QBs would you rank him?

Sac

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1861grri said:
SacHawk2.0":1861grri said:

If he plays a 16 game season what are his numbers? Where amongst the NFL starting QBs would you rank him?

Below Russell Wilson and above Blaine Gabbert.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1ngp6w9g said:
T-Sizzle":1ngp6w9g said:
SacHawk2.0":1ngp6w9g said:

Below Russell Wilson and above Blaine Gabbert.

:34853_doh:

I was hoping you had a little more confidence in what you say.

He is probably around QB 25 or lower of the starting QBs imo. If he goes somewhere and gets the chance to start and play 16 games I would expect around 3500 yards passing and 16tds:18ints. More than likely where he gets traded too he will be a stop gap so he may only play 8 games and a rookie comes in to finish out the season.

I understand not everyone feels this way, so no need for people to get upset. Just my opinion.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
NFL.com has jumped on the "Flynn to Raiders" bandwagon.

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday that the Raiders have "legitimate interest" in acquiring Matt Flynn from the Seattle Seahawks. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie worked for years in Green Bay, where Flynn toiled for the Packers behind starter Aaron Rodgers, so the 27-year-old passer is something of a known quantity in Oakland's front office.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...akland-raiders-have-interest-in-qb-matt-flynn

Sac

Reaction score
Flynn is better than.

Anyone on Arizonas roster

Christian Ponder

Anyone on Oaklands roster

Anyone on Clevelands roster

Anyone on Jacksonvilles roster

Anyone on the Titans roster

Anyone on the Jets roster

Anyone on Buffalos roster

Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.

mikeak

Reaction score
GCrow":3vbvg2hl said:
(Not sure if 3 threads were started on this but)

Sounds like Raiders have "legitimate" interest here, while the Jags do not.

Per Mike Silver article;
Another possibility would be trading for Flynn, an expensive free-agent signee for the Seahawks in 2012 who was beaten out by rookie Russell Wilson in training camp. McKenzie previously worked as a personnel executive for the Green Bay Packers, where Flynn spent the first four years of his career as Aaron Rodgers' backup.
A league source said the Raiders have legitimate interest in acquiring Flynn, who could likely be pried from Seattle for as little as a fourth-round pick. (Another source said the Jacksonville Jaguars, who according to a CBSSports.com report are also interested in Flynn, have little inclination to try to swing a trade.)
However, with Flynn carrying a cap number of $7.25 million for 2013, acquiring him would still pose financial problems for the Raiders, as Palmer would count another $9.34 million against this year's cap were he to be released.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--so ... 06980.html

This is factually INCORRECT. Flynn carries a $7.25 million cap hit for the Seahawks ONLY. His salary for 2013 is $5.25 million the $2million signing bonus would remain against the Seahawks cap. This is less or about what a first round qb would cost and only about $2million is guaranteed for 2014 so if he doesn't work out there is low to minimal risk

Honestly this is the upside. The guy is under contract for 2 years with very low cost to release if he doesn't pan out and you don't have to waste a draft pick.......

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":26zcmn82 said:
Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.

Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.

I really don't see how Flynn is on par with the guy and could be 'much higher' in terms of quality. What evidence is there for that? One game against the Lions? Let's see him lead a team to within a couple of kick-off fumbles of the Super Bowl.

Sac

Reaction score
It sure took Smith long enough though, didn't it Rob.

Methinks coaching and surrounding talent had top do with that as well.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Flynn showed what he is capable of in two NFL games. He stepped off the bench and set some records in the Lion game and did well against the Pats. What else could he do coming of the bench. If that's his ceiling its a pretty good one. I think in the right system he will be a gamer...If he goes to Oakland IMO he will be beat down after 4 or 5 games. I like him here but if its decided that we have to trade him I would like to see him go to a team that at least has an O-line. I like Flynn a heck of alot.

chihawk

Reaction score
It's not a very fair comparison to say "if Flynn was in the draft, where would he be drafted" and then expect that draft pick. There are big factors like age, money, and contracts to consider as well. Flynn is already 27 years old with limited experience....he is more expensive than a pretty much anyone in the draft...he isn't under contract for very many years.

When considering more of the factors, I would think a 3rd round pick would be great for him, but it would probably more likely be a 4th round pick or something like that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h8jc81y said:
The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.

So for the Seahawks the low salary for a backup is a plus but for Oakland the $5million for someone that MAY not be a starter is a negative?

I am confused.......

Latest posts