NFL players can bet on other games? Ummm Sherm?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • People want to act as Sherman's lawyer but Sherman is just asking for trouble here. It is simply Stupid. Why invite scrutiny?
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • Sherman needs to do two things.

    - Shut up

    - Find Largent80's bookie, because I bet he could have got like +2000 odds on the Ravens to cover.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5433
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • chrispy wrote:From the
    Legue Policies for Players (synopsis)
    http://www.nflevolution.com/wordpress/w ... 1-5081.pdf


    NFL Gambling Policy
    • NFL players and coaches cannot take bribes to throw or fix a game. Playing or
    coaching at less than the very best and being paid to do so is against the law and a
    major violation of NFL policy.
    • Any attempts to bribe a player or coach, or knowledge of attempted bribes, must be
    reported immediately.
    • League employees (players, coaches, and staff) are prohibited from betting on any
    NFL game.
    • Associating with gamblers or gambling activity is against NFL policy.
    • Endorsing or promoting gambling, even if the gambling is legal, is against NFL policy.
    This includes cruise or casino appearances

    Yea, he messed up. Bad.
    Follow me on Twitter: @realchrisbrown5
    Backpack Rich
    User avatar
    ChrisB Bacon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 646
    Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 pm


  • Could he be suspended? How long would it be for?
    Eamon696
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 54
    Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm
    Location: Vermont


  • Like a bunch of gossiping housewives... sheesh.

    the bet could have been with a buddy to wash cars for all anyone knows...
    ______________________________

    Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

    Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    User avatar
    nwgamer
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 358
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 am
    Location: Cashmere, WA


  • this thread should be deleted for obvious reasons, good grief
    GO HAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Twisted
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm


  • nwgamer wrote:Like a bunch of gossiping housewives... sheesh.

    the bet could have been with a buddy to wash cars for all anyone knows...



    That's what I'm thinking, probably a personal bet with a friend. I doubt the NFL could (or would) do anything about that.

    And knowing how much Sherman likes to talk, he may not even be in Vegas.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3538
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


  • The fact that this site is the only one talking about this lets you know that its a non issue. We have officially entered the off season..
    User avatar
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 562
    Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:46 pm


  • taz291819 wrote:
    nwgamer wrote:Like a bunch of gossiping housewives... sheesh.

    the bet could have been with a buddy to wash cars for all anyone knows...



    That's what I'm thinking, probably a personal bet with a friend. I doubt the NFL could (or would) do anything about that.

    And knowing how much Sherman likes to talk, he may not even be in Vegas.


    He took a pic with the Mexican Bumble Bee...he's in Vegas.

    And why delete this thread? It's not like the NFL hasn't noticed his tweets if there's an issue there.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7381
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • Killa Kam wrote:The fact that this site is the only one talking about this lets you know that its a non issue. We have officially entered the off season..


    I have seen it on at least three other sites

    Sherman just triumphed over the league but Godell doesn't seem like a guy to hold a grudge....

    This is majorly stupid assuming that player conduct still holds up and this thread is irrelevant the tweets are forever...
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3733
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • It's interesting that this hasn't popped up on any sports news page.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


  • QuickLightning wrote:It's interesting that this hasn't popped up on any sports news page.

    Agreed.
    Follow me on Twitter: @realchrisbrown5
    Backpack Rich
    User avatar
    ChrisB Bacon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 646
    Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 pm


  • QuickLightning wrote:It's interesting that this hasn't popped up on any sports news page.



    They're gonna go with the "oh we knew it for months" but just wanting to make it public before the first week for the season.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 303
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm
    Location: Washington


  • You guys really think Sherman is breaking rules and tweeting about it? Do you really think he's that stupid? Wow. No respect.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15026
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • His season is over and he is betting on a game he is (presumably legally) betting on a game he isn't involved. I've never heard how that is against the code of conduct.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8824
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • AbsolutNET wrote:His season is over and he is betting on a game he is (presumably legally) betting on a game he isn't involved. I've never heard how that is against the code of conduct.


    Current CBA:
    http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

    From page 261 (page 276 of the pdf file):

    15. INTEGRITY OF GAME. Player recognizes the detriment to the League and pro-fessional football that would result from impairment of public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games or the integrity and good character of NFL players. Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League or pro-fessional football, the Commissioner will have the right, but only after giving Player the opportunity for a hearing at which he may be represented by counsel of his choice, to fine Player in a reasonable amount; to suspend Player for a period certain or indefinitely; and/or to terminate this contract.
    Image

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 14655
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • • League employees (players, coaches, and staff) are prohibited from betting on any NFL game.

    It's common sense.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • Well, in that case, nevermind...
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8824
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • Is it possible that Sherm is stupid enough to believe he can break serious NFL rules, snitch on himself on twitter about it and still get away with it? Sure. I'll go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt though.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15026
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (unless you put it on Twitter).
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • Just reading through that little section of the CBA, one could easily assume that gambling in any form is prohibited by the NFL, but everyone knows it happens and you don't hear of people being suspended for it. Players travel to Vegas all the time.

    Perhaps this was written in such a way as to cover more than the NFL actually means it to cover, and perhaps there have been clarifying papers sent out to players with allowances for betting at legal establishments such as Vegas or such. Honestly, I have no idea what the ACTUAL NFL policy is. If I was going strictly by the verbiage above, I'd say that placing any bet would be against NFL rules, but when looking at it realistically, I do not believe that is the case.
    Image

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 14655
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Don't over think it, kid. You highlighted in green the critical and accurate piece.

    It is well known by the players they are not to gamble on NFL games.

    It is a condition of their employment.

    They aren't even suppose to 'associate with known gamblers'. That phrase has always cracked me up.

    I know several former NFL players, an NFL referee, coach, etc. and trust me:

    The NFL is very clear on this.



    I know there used to be placards reminding/warning players of the rules around this posted IN EVERY NFL LOCKER ROOM.

    All this said; would Sherman be dumb enough to violate the rule???

    IMO, whether he did or not, his twittering shows an obvious presence of reckless judgement.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • bestfightstory wrote:All this said; would Sherman be dumb enough to violate the rule???

    IMO, whether he did or not, his twittering shows an obvious presence of reckless judgement.


    Maybe since he won that appeal he thinks he's untouchable??
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15026
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Maybe he's just being comical about his views on the Superbowl. Hates the Whiners and thinks the Ravens will win easily.

    Winning money at the craps table...

    I'm gonna go with that and believe it until we hear otherwise.
    User avatar
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 423
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 am


  • CrimsonWazzu wrote:Maybe he's just being comical about his views on the Superbowl. Hates the Whiners and thinks the Ravens will win easily.

    Winning money at the craps table...

    I'm gonna go with that and believe it until we hear otherwise.


    I'd be willing to bet money (and tweet about it) that he was just being a smart ass. But we should totally freak out about it. ;)
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15026
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    CrimsonWazzu wrote:Maybe he's just being comical about his views on the Superbowl. Hates the Whiners and thinks the Ravens will win easily.

    Winning money at the craps table...

    I'm gonna go with that and believe it until we hear otherwise.


    I'd be willing to bet money (and tweet about it) that he was just being a smart ass. But we should totally freak out about it. ;)


    I can see how you could think this is freaking out, but is it a bad thing to be concerned about the actions of a premier player? The tweet can be construed either way depending on your view, but I don't want to see him lost because of a possible simple mistake. And to the person who said he went to Stanford and wouldn't be this dumb, evidently you haven't met or dealt with many smart people, they can be dumb as hell too.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2805
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    CrimsonWazzu wrote:Maybe he's just being comical about his views on the Superbowl. Hates the Whiners and thinks the Ravens will win easily.

    Winning money at the craps table...

    I'm gonna go with that and believe it until we hear otherwise.


    I'd be willing to bet money (and tweet about it) that he was just being a smart ass. But we should totally freak out about it. ;)


    I can see how you could think this is freaking out, but is it a bad thing to be concerned about the actions of a premier player? The tweet can be construed either way depending on your view, but I don't want to see him lost because of a possible simple mistake. And to the person who said he went to Stanford and wouldn't be this dumb, evidently you haven't met or dealt with many smart people, they can be dumb as hell too.


    When it's a blurb on twitter By Sherman and not a member of the media, no, it's not worth being concerned about.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3426
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


  • I disagree when it is something that, potentially, could mean a suspension for him depending on how bad the NFL would want to pursue it. Either way, it is probably a non-issue, but still something that he should be more cognizant of in the future.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2805
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


  • your reading it wrong.

    Anquan and Flacco are referred to in the present.

    money and gambling were referred to in the past tense.
    User avatar
    PAT206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 725
    Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 pm


  • ChrisB Bacon wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Stanford coach Bill Walsh once lobbied for an investigation into the U-Dub football program. Whether he knows it or not, Sherm is now lobbying for an investigation into Stanford's football program.

    How..?



    By showing he's none too bright. But you could have figured that out...right?
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6288
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • bestfightstory wrote:What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (unless you put it on Twitter).


    Hahaha...good stuff. Twitter should be banned along with Facebook. Either that or every tweet and post should be on auto-filter.....reviewed first by the teams media personel.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6288
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • Wow, glad it took me until it reached 5 pages to first finally view it. :!: :!:

    I surely hope Sherm didn't really do what we hope he all did not. It is what it is.
    **ME LONG YOU LOVE TIME**
    Seattle_Stunna_MD
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 288
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:03 am
    Location: MD


  • Hey everybody, long time lurker that finally decided to register here. My dad was a Seahawks fan also and love going to games when it was still Qwest.

    Unfortunately for Sherman, I am sure that NFLN and every other NFL applicable twitter account follows him just like most if not all the other players and coaches. So just because we haven't seen the report of this broken on TV yet doesn't mean that it won't soon, especially after all the hub blub that the reinstatement of Sean Payton attracted.

    Doesn't look good for Richard Sherman I am afraid!
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 10
    Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 pm


  • It's not a violation for NFL players to bet on other games. There's no issue here
    No autographs please
    User avatar
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 355
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • JSeahawks wrote:The guy that was taking the bet screwed up. It was supposed to be for Richard Herman.



    Yes...DICK heeeerrrrrrrmmmmmannnn!!!

    I thought he went to Stanford?

    What an idiot!!

    Don't hit send!!
    zayden185
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 599
    Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 am


  • This is Richard Sherman. He is toying around. The guy hasn't said anything other than he is in Vegas, winning money and his next tweet said "a lot",

    It didn't say "I placed money on the Ravens" or anything close to that. He is just playing around and even the media isn't really biting on it.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5901
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Previous


It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information