Guaranteeing The Win.

Cartire

Reaction score
The problem with all these Ranks on offense and defense I keep seeing are bogus (Well, defense no much, cause its a proper evaluator.) because they are based on nothing but overall yards. Thats absolutly stupid to rank a teams passing by overall yards.

Teams that have good defense, will win better field position and have to transverse shorter distances to score. Thusly decreasing their overall yardage and somehow being a worse offense then others. This is what overall yardage cant predict.

DVOA is by far the best metric when measuring an offenses true skills. If you dont want to accept that, its ok to say you dont understand it.

drastik

Reaction score
Cartire":1avqdd40 said:
The problem with all these Ranks on offense and defense I keep seeing are bogus (Well, defense no much, cause its a proper evaluator.) because they are based on nothing but overall yards. Thats absolutly stupid to rank a teams passing by overall yards.

Teams that have good defense, will win better field position and have to transverse shorter distances to score. Thusly decreasing their overall yardage and somehow being a worse offense then others. This is what overall yardage cant predict.

DVOA is by far the best metric when measuring an offenses true skills. If you dont want to accept that, its ok to say you dont understand it.
Yards is just the easiest way to rank teams.

My problem with DVOA is, it's pretty "murky"... They tell you how DVOA works (certain plays are valued more than others etc etc), but the creators of the DVOA system never give you a concrete explanation of their formula.

Ex: Is my 1yard run to get a first down in the 3rd quarter of a close game going to give me more or less points than my 1yard run with under 2minutes remaining in the 4th quarter to pick up the first down and enable my team to run the clock out?

I prefer to look at things like points scored, time of possession, turnover differential, yards etc etc

hawker84

Reaction score
we are ranked so low on passing because our QB barely passed in the first half of the season, not an excuse a fact..... our road record is not good because we lost close games on the road in the first half of the season, when our rookie qb was handcuffed , and all we did is run the ball.... again not excuses facts.... i will suggest again, you throw out the first half numbers and concentrate on the second half numbers, because that better reflects what this team really is capable of... just a suggestion.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I'm not guaranteeing crap........as the week has gone on I have gotten more and more nervous lol.