Is Trufant actually..... good?

The Radish

Reaction score
The centerfield position isn't always about speed but more about the player being able to be in the right place at the right time.

I agree that Trufant came up being taught by the Holmgren years to play off receivers rather than the hit inside 5 yards type to throw off the timing of the play. He didn't play that way at WAZZU where he was as good a defender as there was in those years.

And expensive? Twice now he has taken a pay cut to stay a Seahawk. Once a couple of years ago and then last year they cut and then resigned him. A tactic that all the teams use to get past salary cap issues and keep players that can help them. I think you'll find in dollars he is among the least paid on the team.

We have a pretty vocal non Trufant group here but I think he has done a good job through the years playing the way they ask him including switching sides for a couple of years and playing on the right where he had never played before and as I mentioned playing off receivers rather than hit them at the line of scrimmage.

And I doubt he plays beyond this season, maybe another year but I'd wager no more. And if his back is acting up again this could very well be his last season to play the game.

Probably the best pure tackler the Seahawks have now or maybe ever. Normally if Tru gets his hands on you he will bring you down. None of this undercut stuff for him. And that's another thing I like about this team, they don't do that much, but reach out and touch someone rather than undercut.

:les:

p.s.

And yes if not for Trufant's tackle at the 2 yard line Browner never gets to make that great hit to save a TD.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah it was an awesome play by Tru to keep Smith out of the end zone and make the Browner play possible. As a fan I love a player like Tru who just brings it every Sunday and is all about the TEAM and being part of what Seattle is building. Nice point about his excellent tackling abilities too. I had noticed he's been able to consistently bring down much bigger players that I wasn't really expecting him to; no Tracy Porter or Kelly Jennings action on that one. (Good thing it was Porter and not Tru trying to tackle Beastmode on the Beastquake) And it's great he's a hometown guy too. I can't count the number of times Tru has brought down a big TE or made the tackle on a running back, remarkable tackling ability for a smaller guy.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think Tru COULD salvage another year or two as nickle safety, because he's very underrated tackling in the open field. Of course, he couldn't play that role here of course, we're DB rich. We can make it rain DB's.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1mvyfit1 said:
You could do a lot worse for a nickel back.

Trufant isn't the corner he used to be obviously, but he's a savvy vet and still does a solid job.

That said, I'm not loving the idea of Welker being in the slot against him. That could get ugly in a hurry.

I hope he's not covering Welker all game. I was thinking that Sherman would be shadowing Welker the whole game with Browner on Lloyd. At least I'm hoping that's how it plays out. With Hernandez back, I'm still wondering how many 3 wr sets they will run?

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":wceml060 said:
You could do a lot worse for a nickel back.

Trufant isn't the corner he used to be obviously, but he's a savvy vet and still does a solid job.

That said, I'm not loving the idea of Welker being in the slot against him. That could get ugly in a hurry.

Looks like so far this season (stats wise.... I know, but it's better than being on the bottom of the stat line) there's only one slot CB better than Tru.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I love having a crafty vet at the nickel slot. Having him on the field without the pressure of covering the #1/#2 guys is great IMO.

He's playing well enough to keep around this year...next year, we'll have to see what shakes out in camp. We're loaded with young, talented secondary guys. Lane, Johnson, Thurmond, Gorrer, etc. And Pete can't help it, he'll grab another 5-6th round DB in the draft as well as 3-4 in UDFA probably.

I'm liking him for another year at least, but I don't think he makes it out of camp next year as a Hawk. I hope he retires or maybe they can bring him on as a DB coach...guy has seen it all for a long time. If he has an ability to coach, I'd love to keep him around. He's always been a total pro, the sort of guy you never want to leave.