Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Question for Hawk fans...
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am 
NET Rookie

Hey I dont see to much about the Hawks at all over here in NH, but I was wondering something...

Did Wilson play that well in the rpeeseason or was Flynn that BAD in the preseason wilson got the job?? 9I mean you guys went out and paid big bucks get Flynn so I am just wondering how Wilson was able win the job before game 1 even happened.)

Post subject: Re: Question for Hawk fans...
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 am 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Oh boy! Here we go!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 am 
NET Veteran

NO! NOT AGAIN!!!! :les:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 am 
NET Veteran

Predicting tidal wave of opinions in 3...2...1...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:28 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

Flynn was underwhelming, Wilson was exciting and moved the ball. In short, Wilson took the job from him by playing better according to the coaches.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 am 
NET Rookie

lol ok, do you see the Hawks trying to trade one of these two QB's in the offseason? (be silly have such a high salary for a back up QB.)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 am 
NET Veteran

Flynn wasnt underwhelming in the preseason. He played fine. Russell Wilson just looked phenomenal.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:34 am 
NET Veteran

PatsFanNH wrote:
lol ok, do you see the Hawks trying to trade one of these two QB's in the offseason? (be silly have such a high salary for a back up QB.)

who knows, yeah he has a high salary but wilson has a low salary for a starter so it balances out, and you could always use a good back-up

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 am 
NET Veteran

PatsFanNH wrote:

Completely dependant on RW's play. If RW regresses in the next few games... Flynn could become the starter. Many fans here have already demanded that.

To say its been a contentious topic of conversation among the fan base would be an understatement.

Last edited by SHOCKER315 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:36 am 
NET Veteran

Its a nice problem to have, even though Flynn is getting big bucks. Unless he demands a trade or something, i'd like to keep him. RW could still miss games with an injury (knock on wood).

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 am 
NET Veteran

Overpaid backups: It's what we do.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:55 am 
* Gangnameister *

Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special". After the last few years, I'd have been happy as anything to have that kind of QB.

But Russell Wilson looked like he had the potential to be so much more than that, and still does IMO. But he's a rookie QB who's going to go through the rookie QB learning curve, which is where we find ourselves. Barring anything horrible, I can see Rusty having a pretty damn good career, full of playoff runs and pro-bowls.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:22 am 
NET Veteran

CANHawk wrote:
Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special". After the last few years, I'd have been happy as anything to have that kind of QB.

But Russell Wilson looked like he had the potential to be so much more than that, and still does IMO. But he's a rookie QB who's going to go through the rookie QB learning curve, which is where we find ourselves. Barring anything horrible, I can see Rusty having a pretty damn good career, full of playoff runs and pro-bowls.

Read this explanation and all but ignore the others... It was quite the polarizing issue so everyone tends to have a biased opinion. Also, Flynns contract wasn't that big, especially after the first year. He'll make about 5 mill next year and then 6 the year after if we keep him through the next 2, so he could be an interesting trade possibility. That is only if Russell Wilson holds onto the job, plays well, AND we can get another backup quarterback who won't be huge drop off from Flynn.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 am 
NET Rookie

Russel outplayed Flynn in the preseason and showed the potential to be special. In addition the coaches and players said his work ethic, film study and leadership qualities tipped the scales in his favor. During camp we heard the praise about how he's the first here, last to leave and is out-studying everyone in the film room.

I tend to agree that Flynn's future is based on Wilson's progress, but while Flynn is higher paid...The FO only guaranteed that money for two years, so from a business standpoint he is a value and we did not over spend for him even as a back-up IMO.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am 
NET Rookie

I ask about the trade possibility because a team say Like Buffalo could give up as much as a 1st rounder to get Flynn (or at least a 2nd rounder) and while the hawks are vastly improved every team could use another high 2nd round pick or even earlier first round pick.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:28 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

CANHawk wrote:
Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special".

Canadians must have a different definition for "underwhelming" because you just hit it on the head with your description of Flynn.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am 
NET Veteran

PatsFanNH wrote:

It'll be hard to trade Flynn, IMO. There wasn't much of a market this off-season for the unproven quarterback and next year's might just be worse considering how many teams are seemingly "set" with their veteran/young quarterbacks.

Flynn's contract is $5.25 million next year with $2 mil guaranteed. Too high to trade for as a backup and probably too high for teams looking for, at best, a two-way quarterback competition. Teams looking for an upgrade would do better looking to the draft.

I could see Flynn staying through 2013, but if Wilson is still the starter by then, Flynn is gone. It's excusable to pay that now (or next year) to backup a 1st year or 2nd year young player, but not for a 3rd year starter (where Flynn is set to make $6.25m).

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 am 
NET Veteran

Flynn did in the preseason what Wilson's doing in the regular season (ie. Moving the ball into FG range and then stalling in the Red Zone or having to punt on every drive.)

In the preseason though, Wilson was scoring on almost every drive (at first against 2nd team Defenses, then in games 3 and 4 of the preseason, he did it against 1st team defenses) and looked phenomenal with a bajillion gallons of potential.

Therefore, it stands to reason then that if Flynn was behind center in the regular season, he would either be doing the same as Wilson or worse.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:41 am 
NET Veteran

AbsolutNET wrote:
CANHawk wrote:
Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special".

Canadians must have a different definition for "underwhelming" because you just hit it on the head with your description of Flynn.

Maybe Flynn was just "whelming" and not over or under.

I think a word people have used in this thread applies. Wilson looked special, like he had a playmaking element to his game that just didn't seem to be there with Flynn. I recall back in the preseason someone saying that Flynn played capably and efficiently, but that he was uninspiring. That summed up my views on it, too.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 am 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

To sum it up for Pats fans: would you rather go with the rookie who looks like he could be a Tom Brady, or the veteran backup with three starts that looks like he could be a Drew Bledsoe?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 am 
NET Rookie

Seahawk Sailor wrote:
To sum it up for Pats fans: would you rather go with the rookie who looks like he could be a Tom Brady, or the veteran backup with three starts that looks like he could be a Drew Bledsoe?

LOL BB went with Bledsoe for a year so Brady could learn the offense and get comfortable lol.. and Bledsoe was good for like 4 years.. :P

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:55 am 
* NET Baller *

Like everyone has said, Flynn looked fine and capable, but Wilson just took the Seahawk Nation by storm and was effin dominant in the preseason. Hopefully after last weeks game the reigns will come off a little bit more, but I doubt it. I think because it IS the Pats, and what the forecast is calling for that the Seahawks are gonna try and turn this into a slobberknocker, last time they forced a game like that was when they demoralized the Cowboys. I don't ask this to be a douche, I ask because I really just don't know, but can the Pats play a grind it out beat the holy hell out of another team and take a beating game?

Last edited by Throwdown on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am 
NET Veteran

PatsFanNH wrote:
Seahawk Sailor wrote:

LOL BB went with Bledsoe for a year so Brady could learn the offense and get comfortable lol.. and Bledsoe was good for like 4 years.. :P

You say this as though Bledsoe was only a temporary placeholder for Brady. IIRC, Bledsoe was paid a ridiculous contract the year they drafted Brady (something like 10 years/100 m.) I doubt even BB knew what they had in Brady that first season.

Edit: Did some research, Bledsoe was re-signed a year after they drafted Brady.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 pm 
NET Veteran

Flynn's salary is not a big deal given Wilson basically here on a premium. The way I see it is The Seahawks are spending (let's round) say 3 million dollars at the QB position in 2012, it doesn't matter how it's broken up...that 3 million still has to be spent. It's not on PC to pay these guys, he just needs to put who he believes is the best on the field. Besides, the owners rich b#!!!

That being said, Wilson lit it up in the off season and won the job straight up. Personally, I feel the decision took a little too long and is hampering is performance so far. His chemistry with the receivers has been lack luster...but!....showing definite signs of improvement...can't wait to see what will happen when the offense is on the same page! It's going to be awesome.

Go Hawks.

Go Hawks.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 pm 
NET Veteran

PatsFanNH wrote:
I ask about the trade possibility because a team say Like Buffalo could give up as much as a 1st rounder to get Flynn (or at least a 2nd rounder) and while the hawks are vastly improved every team could use another high 2nd round pick or even earlier first round pick.

We already gave them TJack :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

m0ng0 wrote:
PatsFanNH wrote:

We already gave them TJack :lol:

Which is why the posts about us "not being able to trade Flynn" are ridiculous. I bet I read 1,000 posts about how it would be impossible to trade TJ since he was making $4 million. Well guess what, we got something out of him. If Flynn gets any playing time this year (whether through injury or because we are kicking the crap out of someone), his trade value could go up substantially. Besides, if the rookie QBs have proven anything this year it is that it is difficult to come in and start as QB. RW is tied for the best win loss record for all rookie QBs in the past 20 years, and he has been assisted by a phenomenal D and a great rushing game. Different teams will be in the market this year, different QBs will get hurt or bomb out, Flynn will be worth something guaranteed.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:32 pm 
NET Rookie

Throwdown wrote:
Like everyone has said, Flynn looked fine and capable, but Wilson just took the Seahawk Nation by storm and was effin dominant in the preseason. Hopefully after last weeks game the reigns will come off a little bit more, but I doubt it. I think because it IS the Pats, and what the forecast is calling for that the Seahawks are gonna try and turn this into a slobberknocker, last time they forced a game like that was when they demoralized the Cowboys. I don't ask this to be a douche, I ask because I really just don't know, but can the Pats play a grind it out beat the holy hell out of another team and take a beating game?

1st Snow doesnt stop the Pats passing game and if anything slippery conditions are BETTER for theReceiver as he knows where he is going while the CB could lose their balance. So the Pats will pass alot still.

As for the slobberknocker game, I THINk they can do it now with these running backs especially since teams cant key on the running game even in bad weather.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

PatsFanNH wrote:

The Seahawks look at it as salary paid to a position...so they are spending X amount on the QB position, it doesn't matter to them if the starter or the backup is making more of the pot than the other.

They have the luxury to do that because Wilson is making 3rd round rookie money. His salary combined with Flynn's is STILL less than what a lot of teams pay their starting QB.

If Wilson were to get really good and be worthy of a pay raise in an extension, by that time Flynn will be nearing the end of his contract.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 pm 
NET Veteran

Don't worry, Flynn will get his chance this year.

In week 17, after we beat the 9ers and seal the division and the #1 spot in the NFC, he'll get to throw for a franchise record 500 yards and 7 TDs against the Rams ....exactly like he did to Detroit when he was in Green Bay. (putting up monster digits in a meaningless game)

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]